Resolving John Pelan

Old June 6th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Resolving John Pelan

Two questions:

1. You claim to follow ABAA book description guidelines. Please can you
advise whether you are in fact a member of the ABAA (or have ever
been)?

2. After seeking to imply that you had multiple copies of THE
SORCERER'S CHESSMEN, you side-stepped my suggestion that we compare my
scans of the book I sold you with those of the book you sold on to a
third party. Please could you therefore confirm - without ambiguity -
whether or not the book you sold on Ebay was in fact the same copy I
sold you?

SS

Old June 6th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On 6 Jun 2006 13:19:10 -0700, "Bad Mr. Toad"
selected a fat, juicy grub from his plate
and stammered out the the following:

Two questions:

1. You claim to follow ABAA book description guidelines. Please can you
advise whether you are in fact a member of the ABAA (or have ever
been)?

I am a member of several organizations that you do not qualify to
join. The specifics are none of your business.

2. After seeking to imply that you had multiple copies of THE
SORCERER'S CHESSMEN, you side-stepped my suggestion that we compare my
scans of the book I sold you with those of the book you sold on to a
third party. Please could you therefore confirm - without ambiguity -
whether or not the book you sold on Ebay was in fact the same copy I
sold you?

SS

Do you suppose that I am at your beck and call to address impertinent
questions from the likes of you?

The answers to the above are really none of your business; instead you
may focus on recent customer comments (all of which were items that
were quite out of your price range):

"Rare book, as described, well packed, and promptly shipped. A+++ as
usual!"

"Item arrived promptly & in fine condition, ALWAYS EXCELLENT SERVICE!!
A+++++"

"Prompt refund for returned item. Buy from this fine seller with
confidence. A+++"

"Good description, fine service, excellent packaging. Thank you!"

Now let's contrast this with you having been chastised by ABE for
fraud, kicked off of eBay, hauled into court for fraud, and chastised
by a professional organization for the theft of intellectual
property...

Please take your off-topic trolling elsewhere, you are not welcome
here; just as you are unwelcome in abg-f, ah-c, umtm, and numerous
other discussion groups.

Good day to you.

John

Old June 7th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

John Pelan wrote:

Two questions:

1. You claim to follow ABAA book description guidelines. Please can you
advise whether you are in fact a member of the ABAA (or have ever
been)?

I am a member of several organizations that you do not qualify to
join. The specifics are none of your business.

Oh, so what you mean is that you aren't a member?

2. After seeking to imply that you had multiple copies of THE
SORCERER'S CHESSMEN, you side-stepped my suggestion that we compare my
scans of the book I sold you with those of the book you sold on to a
third party. Please could you therefore confirm - without ambiguity -
whether or not the book you sold on Ebay was in fact the same copy I
sold you?

SS

Do you suppose that I am at your beck and call to address impertinent
questions from the likes of you?

The answers to the above are really none of your business; instead you
may focus on .....[several completely irrevelant pieces of subjective disinformation].

You mean "yes" then?

So, to conclude:

1. You claim to adhere to professional "ABAA" guidelines although you
are not nor have ever been a member. This is an arrogant claim which
seeks to profit from association with whom you are not actually
associated. Worst of all, you cannot be reprimanded for breaching ABAA
rules, because you aren't actually a member of that august body.

2. Where a well-known UK Ebay dealer and I sold the same book as a
ragged but good reader copy, you listed it on Ebay as a "very
presentable copy".

I think this is evidence enough of your duplicituous intent.

Shelf Space
DRAGON SLAYER
"...three hours from sundown, Jeremy flies.... hoping to keep the sun
from his eyes... east from the city and down to the caves.... in search
of a master, in search of a slave."

Old June 7th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

On 6 Jun 2006 17:47:52 -0700, "Shelf Space"
wrote:

John Pelan wrote:

Two questions:

1. You claim to follow ABAA book description guidelines. Please can you
advise whether you are in fact a member of the ABAA (or have ever
been)?

I am a member of several organizations that you do not qualify to
join. The specifics are none of your business.

Oh, so what you mean is that you aren't a member?

That isn't what I said, you stupid ****. I said "the specifics are
none of your business".

2. After seeking to imply that you had multiple copies of THE
SORCERER'S CHESSMEN, you side-stepped my suggestion that we compare my
scans of the book I sold you with those of the book you sold on to a
third party. Please could you therefore confirm - without ambiguity -
whether or not the book you sold on Ebay was in fact the same copy I
sold you?

SS

Do you suppose that I am at your beck and call to address impertinent
questions from the likes of you?

The answers to the above are really none of your business; instead you
may focus on .....[several completely irrevelant pieces of subjective disinformation].

Restored:The answers to the above are really none of your business;
[...]

I said I follow their grading standards. My exemplary record as a
bookseller should adequately confirm this.

2. Where a well-known UK Ebay dealer and I sold the same book as a
ragged but good reader copy, you listed it on Ebay as a "very
presentable copy".

I think this is evidence enough of your duplicituous intent.

Oddly enough, the copy I sold delighted the customer. I think this is
adequate evidence that you are a stupid **** with nothing useful to do
besides prowl in dumpsters and snap at the heels of your betters.

Now run along and give Fatima a hand with the cabbages. I realize it
must gall you to be a laughing stock in the book world, but you
brought it on yourself. You may try keeping quiet to conceal your
stupidity; unfortunately, there's not much to be done about your
ugliness.

Good day,

Old June 7th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

wrote:

John Pelan wrote:

[...]

My, how greatly you honour yourself and your family with such language
and sentiments.

Old June 7th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

John Pelan wrote:

2. After seeking to imply that you had multiple copies of THE
SORCERER'S CHESSMEN, you side-stepped my suggestion that we compare my
scans of the book I sold you with those of the book you sold on to a
third party. Please could you therefore confirm - without ambiguity -
whether or not the book you sold on Ebay was in fact the same copy I
sold you?

SS

Do you suppose that I am at your beck and call to address impertinent
questions from the likes of you?

Since you take the time to respond to every one of his posts, it does
appear you are at his "beck and call".
Why not answer the question about the book and put this entire inane
portion of your never ending flame war to rest?

Old June 7th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On 7 Jun 2006 04:45:54 -0700, "Hardy-Boys.net"
wrote:

Since you take the time to respond to every one of his posts, it does
appear you are at his "beck and call".
Why not answer the question about the book and put this entire inane
portion of your never ending flame war to rest?

Like that would end Barker's obsession?

Cheers,

John

Old June 7th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Hardy-Boys.net wrote:

Why not answer the question about the book and put this entire inane
portion of your never ending flame war to rest?

Hi sweetie,
If you would go back through the links you would find that John has
answered his questions many times over the past few years to no avail.

How's that acne treatment coming?

Old June 7th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Sam wrote:
If you would go back through the links you would find that John has
answered his questions many times over the past few years to no avail.

What the **** does that have to do with the issue at hand, you pimple?
I've been posting to this NG for 10 years and am well aware of the
interaction between those 2 guys.

How's that acne treatment coming?

Guess not so good since you're still here Mary.
But, I guess, at least it keeps you off the streets and not molesting
children like you normally do!

PS:
Go **** yourself, you inflamed hemorrhoid!

Old June 7th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Hardy-Boys.net wrote:

Since you take the time to respond to every one of his posts, it does
appear you are at his "beck and call".
Why not answer the question about the book and put this entire inane
portion of your never ending flame war to rest?

You've spotted one of the flaws in Pelan's tactics. It *is*
hypocritical to spend hours and hours typing up abusive responses
whilst arguing that you are not at someone's beck and call.

The reason why Pelan waffles so is because he dare not answer the
question honestly and succinctly because he is nearly always lying. For
example:

1. Pelan was asked perhaps one hundred times why he lied about owning
shares in his former ISP. He must have devoted at least fifty hours to
avoiding the question. The simple truth is that he *did* lie, but he
didn't want to admit it. Indeed, he even got a third party to lie on
his behalf, and he finally cooked up a ridiculous excuse which he got
his "legal attorney" aka a writing buddy to cough up (an excuse which
was so riddled with contradiction that the LA quickly crawled back
under a stone fearing for his professional reputation).

2. Pelan recently revealed the very surprising news that he possesses a
degree in Business Management, but when asked for validating details
(such as where was it obtained), he instead threw a temper tantrum and
spent ten times longer arguing why he did not have to cough up any
proof than it would have taken to answer the question.

3. Pelan once claimed to own a valuable Evelyn Waugh book collection
when his integrity was questionned over a racist remark he made about a
Waugh book. However, he then spent ages arguing why he did not have to
post a photo somewhere proving he did own these books.

4. Pelan was sacked from his day job last Christmas because he failed
to hit key targets (probably spending too much lying on the internet to
do any actual work). He told several friends and colleagues about this,
and I heard it myself direct from someone who used to work with him.
Indeed, the loss of income he has experienced has prompted a desparate
attempt to offload his meagre book collection on Ebay, but that's
another issue. The point here is that Pelan lied about getting sacked -
he claimed on usenet to have retired voluntarily to concentrate on
writing and publishing. Worse, he's a slimy hypocrite, because he
harrangues others whom he suspects of being unemployed.

5. I am very sure that Pelan is not nor has ever been a member of the
ABAA. Given this fact, his claim to follow ABAA protocols is worthless.
I could claim to be an amateur soldier following Green Beret protocols,
and it would be just as meaningless. Indeed, the fact that Pelan seeks
to associate himself with a professional organisation to which he does
not belong is rather disturbing.

6. Pelan exaggerates the condition of books he sells. He omits to
mention serious faults and he lies about overall condition. I have
direct first-hand experience of this - the Mark Hansom book - and
because Pelan knows this, he is trying to avoid facing up to the fact
that he's been caught out.

Hence the ridiculous evasions, stream of unpleasant personal abuse, etc
etc. And the notion that I am pestering him is absurd; it is Pelan who
relentlessly pursues me from newsgroup to newsgroup; it is Pelan who
sets up discussion groups at Yahoo dedicated to pestering me; it is
Pelan who boasts about links with sock puppets which can be used to
abuse and libel me.

Pelan knows that I have 'got the goods on him'. He knows I have seen
right through him and have caught him out in lie after lie. This is why
he runs around screamly profanely like a demented chicken rather than
stick calmly to the facts; this is why he rouses his buddies to form a
lynching-party to try and silence me.

We demonise that which we fear. Trouble is, Pelan hasn't cottoned on to
the fact that I couldn't care a less if he runs around screaming "Kill
the pig!" (a William Golding reference as I'm sure you know). I'm
simply performing a public service, like Batman if you will (indeed, I
have the same failings), trying to bring the baddies to book for their
depraved antics.

The bottom line is this: if I (or people like me) bring out the worst
in John Pelan and his cronies, it is because it exists, not because I /
we invented it.