Do Not Feed the Trolls

Old May 25th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Do Not Feed the Trolls

"Nicholas Name" wrote in message

"Sue Donym" wrote in message

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message

Willow,

I think the post to which you responded was part of the trolling. The
troller wanted to draw in a number of people to make denials and keep
things roiling. Consider how closely the poster's name is to "nom de
plume".

Good catch Francis! I bet the OP will think twice before trying to put
one over on a rocket scientist like yourself again.

I don't know Sue. I traced the email address and it looks genuine to me.
Perhaps you should do more research before accusing people of deception.

I'd have to agree with Nick, Francis. Everything look to be on the up and up
to me.

Old May 25th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Ezra Pound (was Do Not Feed the Trolls)

In article 44751420$1@kcnews01,
"Francis A. Miniter" wrote:

You remind me of "The Jewelled Stairs' Grievance" a translation by Ezra Pound
of
an ancient Chinese poem by Li T'ai Po. Pound presents it with commentary:

How interesting you would choose this poem -- one of my favorites, by
one of my favorite poets.

Pound is an excellent example of why one needs to separate the artist
(in this case, a great imagist) from his politics (a fascist and an
anti-semite).
Old May 25th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote:

You remind me of "The Jewelled Stairs' Grievance" a translation by Ezra Pound
of
an ancient Chinese poem by Li T'ai Po. Pound presents it with commentary:

How interesting you would choose this poem -- one of my favorites, by
one of my favorite poets.

Pound is an excellent example of why one needs to separate the artist
(in this case, a great imagist) from his politics (a fascist and an
anti-semite).

I agree. Another coincidence. The other day I began to read "Mother
Night" by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. and after sending my comment about Pound,
it hit me like a ton of bricks that Vonnegut probably had Pound in mind
when he created his protagonist for that story.

Francis A. Miniter
Old May 25th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

In article 44760a3e$1@kcnews01,
"Francis A. Miniter" wrote:

The other day I began to read "Mother Night" by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
and after sending my comment about Pound,
it hit me like a ton of bricks that Vonnegut probably had Pound in mind
when he created his protagonist for that story.

Damn! ANOTHER book to add to my reading list! :-D
Old May 25th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote:

The other day I began to read "Mother Night" by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
and after sending my comment about Pound,
it hit me like a ton of bricks that Vonnegut probably had Pound in mind
when he created his protagonist for that story.

Damn! ANOTHER book to add to my reading list! :-D

_Mother Night_ is, and has long been, my favorite Vonnegut. It's all
the good stuff Vonnegut does, with very little of the self-indulgence
that became his default mode later.

It's one of his that I wish I had (and could afford) the first edition
of.
Old May 26th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
Scot Kamins wrote:
"Francis A. Miniter" wrote:

You remind me of "The Jewelled Stairs' Grievance" a translation by
Ezra Pound of an ancient Chinese poem by Li T'ai Po. Pound presents
it with commentary:

Pound is an excellent example of why one needs to separate the artist
(in this case, a great imagist) from his politics (a fascist and an
anti-semite).

I agree. Another coincidence. The other day I began to read "Mother
Night" by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. and after sending my comment about Pound,
it hit me like a ton of bricks that Vonnegut probably had Pound in mind
when he created his protagonist for that story.

A theory first proposed by the British literary critic Tony Tanner in
his 1971 book, _City of Words_, but dismissed by Vonnegut himself, who
said that Howard Campbell had two sources: a British radio personality
known as "Lord Haw Haw"; and a "scheming American", whom Vonnegut met in
Dresden when he (Vonnegut) was a POW during WW II, who attempted to
recruit US POWs to the German army.

Pound was, however, the inspiration behind many other literary
characters: Lett Barnes in _Bid Me to Live_ , George Lowndes in _Her_ ,
and Menelaus in _Helen in Egypt_ , all three by HD [Hilda Doolittle]
(Doolittle & Pound were once engaged); Charlemagne Cox in "Nobody's
Baby", and Mr. Upjohn in _Death of a Hero_ , both by Richard Aldington;
Manfred Moberly in _Those Were the Days_, by Osbert Sitwell; and
Thaddeus Trunk in "The Doppelganger", by Wyndham Lewis

Pound is also thought to be one of several influences shaping the
character Duncan Forbes in D.H. Lawrence's _Lady Chatterly's Lover_ .

All this is from a fascinating book by William Amos-- _The Originals: An
A-Z of Fiction's Real-Life Characters_ (Jonathan Cape, 1985;
Little,Brown, 1986).

There you go, Scot--now you have a *bunch* of books to read.

--Jon Meyers
Old May 26th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

In article ,
Jon Meyers wrote:

There you go, Scot--now you have a *bunch* of books to read.

Thanks a LOT, Meyers. (There goes my 12 yr old scotch budget.)
Old May 26th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Al Ias wrote:

"Nicholas Name" wrote in message
.. .

. ..

Willow,

I think the post to which you responded was part of the trolling. The
troller wanted to draw in a number of people to make denials and keep
things roiling. Consider how closely the poster's name is to "nom de
plume".

Good catch Francis! I bet the OP will think twice before trying to put
one over on a rocket scientist like yourself again.

I don't know Sue. I traced the email address and it looks genuine to me.
Perhaps you should do more research before accusing people of deception.

I'd have to agree with Nick, Francis. Everything look to be on the up and up
to me.

Could be. Curiously, though, this is the only post that "Norman D.
Plumb" has ever posted to USENET. The URL is plum.com, and that seems
to be a site for collectors of digital materials. No individual is
named at the site. It could be that Norman is legitimate. The
similarity to nom de plume is bothersome, though sometimes parents do
that to children. Maybe, we will eventually learn more from Mr. Plumb
himself.

Francis A. Miniter
Old May 26th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Francis A. Miniter sez:

Francis A. Miniter

Are you a boy or a girl? Can't tell from your name. Perhaps even you
don't know! No wonder you love Will O'Noprunes so much!
BTW, what's the "A" stand for - "asshole"?
Bwaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old May 26th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Frances with an e is a female...with an i is a male. But all you
really wanted was to be an asshole...bwaahahaha...You thought you were
a wit but were only half right.