I wonder what Alan would do...

Old October 4th 03, 02:18 AM
Steve Joyce

Default I wonder what Alan would do...

I have a box of 100 rolls of uncirculated Lincoln cents. They have never
been searched by me. The dates are mostly 1959 - 1968-S with a few wheat
rolls in there (1955, 1957 etc). While inspecting the rolls not too
long ago (just looking at them thru the clear plastic tubes), I noticed
one of the 1964 rolls contained a clipped planchet. If you were me, or
better yet, if the box were yours, would ya don a pair of white cotton
gloves and open every roll searching for errors or MS70's?

Old October 4th 03, 12:05 PM
Ira Stein

Steve Joyce asks:

I have a box of 100 rolls of uncirculated Lincoln cents. They have never
been searched by me. The dates are mostly 1959 - 1968-S with a few wheat
rolls in there (1955, 1957 etc). While inspecting the rolls not too
long ago (just looking at them thru the clear plastic tubes), I noticed
one of the 1964 rolls contained a clipped planchet. If you were me, or
better yet, if the box were yours, would ya don a pair of white cotton
gloves and open every roll searching for errors or MS70's?

You may or may not find another one or two with a clipped planchet, but you can
be sure you won't find any MS-70's. Grades of MS-68 and MS-69 ( of which there
are few) came from Gov't issued Mint sets. Normal coins that come from the
hopper and then into bags and then rolled have had too much coin to coin
contact to achieve such lofty grades. Dealers who spend considerable time
looking for high grade coins have long known that. Only four coins, that's
right, FOUR have been graded MS-68 from 1940 thru 1958 by PCGS with none finer.

Ira Stein
Old October 5th 03, 11:29 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Steve Joyce wrote:

I have a box of 100 rolls of uncirculated Lincoln cents. They have never
been searched by me. The dates are mostly 1959 - 1968-S with a few wheat
rolls in there (1955, 1957 etc). While inspecting the rolls not too
long ago (just looking at them thru the clear plastic tubes), I noticed
one of the 1964 rolls contained a clipped planchet. If you were me, or
better yet, if the box were yours, would ya don a pair of white cotton
gloves and open every roll searching for errors or MS70's?

Just got back from Westfield, NJ!

Well, its *easy* to know what I would do! Like Scherazade, I'd minutely
examine one roll/night for 100 nights, looking for 1960/Large over Small
Dates, errors, OC's, RPMs, ....

Alan
'Three months of joy for $50'
Old October 6th 03, 04:42 PM
Coin Saver

From: SBJOYCE

I have a box of 100 rolls of uncirculated Lincoln cents. They have never been

searched by me. The dates are mostly 1959 - 1968-S with a few wheat rolls in
there (1955, 1957 etc). While inspecting the rolls not too long ago (just
looking at them thru the clear plastic tubes), I noticed one of the 1964 rolls
contained a clipped planchet. If you were me, or better yet, if the box were
yours, would ya don a pair of white cotton gloves and open every roll searching
for errors or MS70's?

If the box were mine, I'd:
a) look for any 1955 DDO's;
b) look over the 1960-plains and 1960-D's for the small / large Date varieties;
c) separate any error / MS69's;
d) set aside the 1968-S's (mintage)
e) made sure I had plenty of 2X2's handy; and
f) all the while, using some of them to complete what I could of my "cent
rolls" collection for those dates (I still need a few).

.... were it me, that is ...

8-/

Coin Saver
Old October 6th 03, 05:27 PM
James McCown

What would Jimmy Buffett do?
Old October 7th 03, 02:59 AM
DOTTIE

Hi Steve, Heck yeah! Go for it, when you do, take a pic so we all can
see, please! And thanks once more for all your help.

RIP Alan King...... pbtalley Autographs 1 May 10th 04 05:23 AM
RIP Alan Bates TIMP00 Autographs 0 December 28th 03 12:23 PM
Looking for a scan of: Alan Rickman Chris Polubinski Autographs 5 October 30th 03 04:41 PM
Thanks Alan! Bruce Hickmott Coins 1 September 15th 03 06:39 PM
RTS -Alan Parsons casdon Autographs 3 July 29th 03 02:28 PM