Austin 8 Alert!

Old February 20th 08, 04:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Dr. Strangemonde

Default Austin 8 Alert!

Hokay, gang:

At the Goodwill near Burnet & 183, there's a dozen or so ROCK 8Ts @
99c apiece. There's a Sabbath, a couple o' Tulls, a Ten Yrs After, et
cetera. (And also Al Stewart's "Modern Times" -- I depended on his
"Time Passages" 8T to put me to bed every nite for YEARS!) They're all
mighty worn-out, but the magnetic tape inside seemed to be intact on
the one or two I examined.

Also, the GW on Lamar next to the main Half Price Books has a near-
pristine Looking Glass 8T ("Brandy (You're A Fine Girl") and little
else of note (as in Mac Davis).

That is all. Please exit in an orderly fashion.

- Dr Strangemonde
Old February 20th 08, 01:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-track

On Feb 19, 11:24*pm, "Dr. Strangemonde" wrote:
Hokay, gang:

At the Goodwill near Burnet & 183, there's a dozen or so ROCK 8Ts @
99c apiece. There's a Sabbath, a couple o' Tulls, a Ten Yrs After, et
cetera. (And also Al Stewart's "Modern Times" -- I depended on his
"Time Passages" 8T to put me to bed every nite for YEARS!) They're all
mighty worn-out, but the magnetic tape inside seemed to be intact on
the one or two I examined.

Also, the GW on Lamar next to the main Half Price Books has a near-
pristine Looking Glass 8T ("Brandy (You're A Fine Girl") and little
else of note (as in Mac Davis).

That is all. Please exit in an orderly fashion.

* - Dr Strangemonde

overpriced actually- we get those here for 3 tapes/$1 and 5tapes/$1 at
local flea markets and thrifts, I've got at least 5000 tapes here just
like that

would be worth it only if they had MINT labels
Old February 21st 08, 04:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 05:31:29 -0800 (PST), trippin-2-8-track
wrote:

overpriced actually snip

Well, for the depressed NE corner of Pennsylvania, yes, because no one
there has any money!
Old February 21st 08, 05:20 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
William W Western[_2_]

Also, the GW on Lamar next to the main Half Price Books has a near-
pristine Looking Glass 8T ("Brandy (You're A Fine Girl")

That is a catchy tune, but the lead singer's vocal
affectation soon annoyed me (I don't know how else to explain it). I believe
them to be one hit wonders so perhaps it peeved others especially since top
40 radio played it to death. I have it on LP.
and little else of note (as in Mac Davis).

Now there was a real dink.

Old February 21st 08, 03:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
frschoonover

Hello Fellow 8 Track Enthusiasts

I happen to have at least one Al Stewart cart in my own right.The one
that I have is called The Early Years.It is a double play cart of
songs from his pre Year of the Cat period.The songs are actually good
on this.I played it myself recently and it played great.When I bought
this at a Salvation Army thrift shop in my area,the cellophane was
still on it even though it was opened.But again,I played this cart
recently and it played great.The cart itself is a dark colored shelled
Canadian GRT on Janus w/ RCA styled springs and foam.Again,awesome.

Thanks Dr.Strangemode for sharing.Sincerely Frank R.Schoonover

Old February 21st 08, 05:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
frschoonover

Hello Once Again

I forgot to mention that I have the Looking Glass album on 8-Track.It
is a red colored shelled cart on Epic.I recently sent that to Kate's
Track Shack to get repaired because it did look like that the splice
was going to break soon and I didn't want to take any chances.I am
looking forward to getting this back and trying it out when I do.

Keep tracking.Thanks again for sharing,Dr.Strangemode.Sincerely Frank
R.Schoonover

Old February 22nd 08, 12:18 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 05:20:01 GMT, "William W Western"
wrote:

Also, the GW on Lamar next to the main Half Price Books has a near-
pristine Looking Glass 8T ("Brandy (You're A Fine Girl")

That is a catchy tune, but the lead singer's vocal
affectation soon annoyed me (I don't know how else to explain it). I believe
them to be one hit wonders so perhaps it peeved others especially since top
40 radio played it to death. I have it on LP. snip

He was even worse live; I saw them at the Troubadour (yes, THAT
Troubadour) back in the day. The affectation was even more
pronounced. "The Troub" was a real dive...how it got the worldwide
rep it got is still a mystery to me.

and little else of note (as in Mac Davis).

Now there was a real dink. snip

HELLA dink. We used to call him "Ol' Banana Nose."
Old February 22nd 08, 02:35 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
frschoonover

On Feb 21, 12:20*am, "William W Western"
wrote:
Also, the GW on Lamar next to the main Half Price Books has a near-
pristine Looking Glass 8T ("Brandy (You're A Fine Girl")

* * * * * * * * * * That is a catchy tune, but the lead singer's vocal
affectation soon annoyed me (I don't know how else to explain it). I believe
them to be one hit wonders so perhaps it peeved others especially since top
40 radio played it to death. I have it on LP.

William

Looking Glass had another Top 40 single.That was Jimmy Loves Mary
Anne.It reached #36.After that,they disbanded.The late 1970's pop-rock
band Starz was an off shoot of Looking Glass.Starz had only 1 Top 40
single called Cherry Baby,which reached #39.Bill Aucoin,who was also
KISS' manager,was also Starz manager.Their follow-up,Sing It,Shout
It,didn't get very far.Both of those singles were initially pressed on
GOLD vinyl and were released on Capitol Records.

I juts thought that I would pass that along.Sincerely Frank
R.Schoonover

Old February 22nd 08, 04:13 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
William W Western[_2_]

Looking Glass had another Top 40 single.That was Jimmy Loves Mary
Anne.It reached #36.After that,they disbanded.The late 1970's pop-rock
band Starz was an off shoot of Looking Glass.Starz had only 1 Top 40
single called Cherry Baby,which reached #39.Bill Aucoin,who was also
KISS' manager,was also Starz manager.Their follow-up,Sing It,Shout
It,didn't get very far.Both of those singles were initially pressed on
GOLD vinyl and were released on Capitol Records.
Thanks for the history lesson, Frank. I have never
heard the tune "Jimmy Loves Mary Anne". Mind you, at #36 not exactly a hit
and I was pretty much into country and country rock in the late 60s and
beyond so probably missed it. Thank God for the small but enjoyable window
of late 60s FM radio, now almost identical to AM programming (man, FM radio
history could certainly be worked into an interesting feature. It has a hero
and a villain. If nothing else, at least a documentary).
Starz is also an unknown to me. Again, there was
not much for me to enjoy on commercial Top Forty radio by then.

Old February 22nd 08, 06:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 04:13:00 GMT, "William W Western"
wrote:

I have never
heard the tune "Jimmy Loves Mary Anne". Mind you, at #36 not exactly a hit snip

Got that right. It sucked. It came in at #203 for the 1973 year, and
its peak at #36 on the BB Top 40 Chart was short lived.

and I was pretty much into country and country rock in the late 60s and
beyond so probably missed it. Thank God for the small but enjoyable window
of late 60s FM radio, now almost identical to AM programming (man, FM radio
history could certainly be worked into an interesting feature. It has a hero
and a villain. If nothing else, at least a documentary). snip

The golden days of broadcasting. All broadcasting is bad now, as kids
today just plug their ****ty low bit rate mp3s in their phones into an
amp and think that's all they need. The kid who bought my Honda never
listens to radio at all; he plugs his phone into the line in jack on
the EQ/amp, and away he goes. I can see why...most FM stations sound
like absolute crap, have canned programming and no one worth listening
to as an announce staff. Most people who work at secondary market FMs
usually work for free. They call them "interns." It's a dead
industry, killed by corporate greed.

Starz is also an unknown to me. Again, there was
not much for me to enjoy on commercial Top Forty radio by then. snip

You're not missing much there, either. Their only "hit" shows up at
#187 for the year 1977, and is instantly forgettable. I pulled it up
the other day and thought, "Oh...THAT'S what that was." I think it
got rotation air play for about a month. Aucoin didn't do well as a
manager.