Someone recently asked...

Old October 11th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Someone recently asked...

if damaged coins can get into top-tier slabs. Check out the scratches,
which are noted in the description, and come to your own conclusion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1793-WREATH-CENT...QQcmdZViewItem

James

Old October 11th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
if damaged coins can get into top-tier slabs. Check out the scratches,
which are noted in the description, and come to your own conclusion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1793-WREATH-CENT...QQcmdZViewItem

James

Jim,

If this were a 1794 large cent (NOT including the starred reverse) it
might nor get into a holder. But, early coppers from the first year of
issue suffered many indignities, so standards are relaxed quite a bit
by the top grading
services on these early bits of Americana. Starred reverse 1794s will
be accepted in most any condition unless they have been severely
mutilated or have details re-engraved bith deal killing no-nos.

Ira

Old October 11th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Ira" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
if damaged coins can get into top-tier slabs. Check out the scratches,
which are noted in the description, and come to your own conclusion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1793-WREATH-CENT...QQcmdZViewItem

James

Jim,

If this were a 1794 large cent (NOT including the starred reverse) it
might nor get into a holder. But, early coppers from the first year of
issue suffered many indignities, so standards are relaxed quite a bit
by the top grading
services on these early bits of Americana. Starred reverse 1794s will
be accepted in most any condition unless they have been severely
mutilated or have details re-engraved bith deal killing no-nos.

That's essentially the answer I gave to whoever it was that asked. I'm
going to guess that the line between bodybag and slab is pretty fuzzy on
those early coins, and not one that the grading services would care to
define in any way, shape, or form.

James

Old October 11th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Iagos Fool

"Ira" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
if damaged coins can get into top-tier slabs. Check out the scratches,
which are noted in the description, and come to your own conclusion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1793-WREATH-CENT...QQcmdZViewItem

James

Jim,

If this were a 1794 large cent (NOT including the starred reverse) it
might nor get into a holder. But, early coppers from the first year of
issue suffered many indignities, so standards are relaxed quite a bit
by the top grading
services on these early bits of Americana. Starred reverse 1794s will
be accepted in most any condition unless they have been severely
mutilated or have details re-engraved bith deal killing no-nos.

It would seem simpler if they would all follow ANACS's lead and slab
them with the problems noted & a net grade if they wanted. Year by year
variance in standards works against one of the key arguments for third party
grading -- consistency.

IF

Old October 11th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Iagos Fool" wrote in message
. ..
"Ira" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
[...]

Here's the rare strawberry leaf large cent, graded F-12:

http://www.coinresource.com/guide/ex...berry_cent.htm

James

Old October 11th 07, 11:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:29:28 -0700, Ira is alleged to
have written:

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
if damaged coins can get into top-tier slabs. Check out the scratches,
which are noted in the description, and come to your own conclusion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1793-WREATH-CENT...QQcmdZViewItem

James

Jim,

If this were a 1794 large cent (NOT including the starred reverse) it
might nor get into a holder. But, early coppers from the first year of
issue suffered many indignities, so standards are relaxed quite a bit
by the top grading
services on these early bits of Americana. Starred reverse 1794s will
be accepted in most any condition unless they have been severely
mutilated or have details re-engraved bith deal killing no-nos.

Ira

PCGS actually turned down the 1794 S48 I had. The bodybag said
'authentic - damaged'. It had the detail of perhaps FR2, but so many
problems I doubt they would all fit on a slab label. But you could see
the start from about 3:00 to about 5:00 on the reverse.

Bruce (I OWNED the bottom of the Condition census with that coin)

This discussion sends me to the Jules Reiver auction, where everything he
owned ended up in a slab, pretty or no. One look at those coins and it is
obvious that he collected for the sheer pleasure of it and took a very
practical approach to variety collecting. I've tried, but not wholly
succeeded, in keeping snags out of my collection, but I have mixed feelings
about it to this day. Right now I'm looking for an 1804 dime, and I'm not
getting any younger. A dealer I know has ten of them (he calls them his
"1804 dollar"). Some are slabbed and some are raw. The slabbed ones are
already into five figures, and the raw ones are pretty badly hosed. I don't
know what I'll do if a hosed example ever comes my way at a reasonable
price.

James

I know it's been asked before... Amistad Coins 13 July 3rd 07 12:12 AM
anyone ever get asked by a celeb to ... dahoov2 Autographs 8 February 8th 05 04:49 AM
Sorry if this has been asked before Taurus Days Fan Autographs 2 March 9th 04 03:41 AM
Has anyone asked CW Jorg Lueke Coins 52 December 28th 03 02:43 PM
Because Somebody Asked (about Spam) Mark Books 0 July 16th 03 12:42 PM