2005 Uncirculated coins robbed for my SHQ album

Old July 5th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

Default 2005 Uncirculated coins robbed for my SHQ album

Has anyone else done this? I cut out my UNC quarters and put them in my SHQ
album. I don't get any change because I don't use cash but maybe 2 times a
month. The quarters I get in change are very banged up. My step dad used
to run a vending route, up until mid 2005. He would get me the P & D
quarters in very good shape out of the thousands he had to count every
night. But after mid 2005, my SHQ album was empty. I've bought some rolls
and searched, but only ended up with pre-2005 quarters.

So, having bought 5 2005 UNC sets and failing to sell them on eBay for a
profit, it seemed like cutting out the quarters was a wise move. What do
you think?

Jonathan_ATC

Old July 5th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On Wed, "Jonathan_ATC" wrote:

So, having bought 5 2005 UNC sets and failing to sell them on eBay for a
profit, it seemed like cutting out the quarters was a wise move. What do
you think?

Are those "mint sets", or just uncirculated sets
put together by a dealer?
Are MS 2005 quarters hard to find, I don't
think so in the big city.

I would like to sell some things on ebay, but
things have gotten to the point where I think the
listing should be free if the item is started at $1 or less
and does not sell, I am extremely concerned with
paying a listing fee and getting no bids on a low
starting bid.

I guess a lot of people think any thing will
sell on ebay, I am not that optimistic, especially
about items a year old and minted in the hundreds
of millions (I better check the mintage numbers again). :-)

Joe Fischer

Old July 6th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

"Jonathan_ATC" wrote in message
ink.net...
Has anyone else done this? I cut out my UNC quarters and put them in my

SHQ
album. I don't get any change because I don't use cash but maybe 2 times

month. The quarters I get in change are very banged up. My step dad used
to run a vending route, up until mid 2005. He would get me the P & D
quarters in very good shape out of the thousands he had to count every
night. But after mid 2005, my SHQ album was empty. I've bought some

rolls
and searched, but only ended up with pre-2005 quarters.

So, having bought 5 2005 UNC sets and failing to sell them on eBay for a
profit, it seemed like cutting out the quarters was a wise move. What do
you think?

Jonathan_ATC

PCGS slabbed MS68 flag series are getting around $40 bucks now--seems stupid
cheap to me. MS68 is a very scarce grade for any clad issue--not just SHQ's.
I think the satin finish coins ruined the values tremendously since an MS68
is considered a junky grade with the satin finish coins.
I remember when certain issues of the SHQ's graded MS68 by PCGS before '05
was selling for hundreds of dollars at one time. I also think they graded
too many that high with that flag series so the perception is that they're
going to be overgrades so look for MS68 non-flag series. I don't think they
mass produced those in the regular slabs like they did for that flag series.
They sold a lot of those on that TV Coin Vault-- no doubt they market graded
some. Even if they did you would be getting a gem coin no doubt and it'll
look great.
HTH

Old July 6th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

"Joe Fischer" wrote in message
On Wed, "Jonathan_ATC" wrote:

So, having bought 5 2005 UNC sets and failing to sell them on eBay for a
profit, it seemed like cutting out the quarters was a wise move. What do
you think?

Are those "mint sets", or just uncirculated sets
put together by a dealer?
Are MS 2005 quarters hard to find, I don't
think so in the big city.

They are mint uncirulated sets. You know, two envelopes containing
cellophone sealed coins.

My "big city" is not very keen on coins. Can't find anything as they
recycle all their coins using Brinks and Loomis.

I would like to sell some things on ebay, but
things have gotten to the point where I think the
listing should be free if the item is started at $1 or less
and does not sell, I am extremely concerned with
paying a listing fee and getting no bids on a low
starting bid.

They do charge a small fee for items that start at $0.99. If you choose
not to use a gallery picture, you can list pretty cheaply.

I guess a lot of people think any thing will
sell on ebay, I am not that optimistic, especially
about items a year old and minted in the hundreds
of millions (I better check the mintage numbers again). :-)

I've sold just about anything you can think of on eBay. I find it a great
venue for many items. For awhile I was selling ceramic mugs I bought for a
quarter at Goodwill on eBay for $4-$8 each. But recently Goodwill changed
its pricing and things are too high to make a profit. Garage sales work
well though.

Joe Fischer

Old July 6th 06, 11:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

bri wrote:
[...]

Yeah, there's stupidity in what HTH is saying, but stupid cheap ain't
there - just stupid. Screw MS 68 Statehood Quarters. And 69s. And 70s.
If you pay a quarter for'em, great. If you pay $40. or more, you're a
sucker. Big time.

oly

Old July 6th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 04:40:50 GMT, "Jonathan_ATC"
wrote:

They are mint uncirulated sets. You know, two envelopes containing
cellophone sealed coins.

Sure, I thought they were called "Mint Sets" to identify
them as different from "Proof Sets", but what do I know.

My "big city" is not very keen on coins. Can't find anything as they
recycle all their coins using Brinks and Loomis.

The only place I usually see truly uncirculated coins
is at Kroger or Walmart, or maybe any store that has an
outflow of coins.

Any store that has an inflow of coins has to take them
to the bank and by then they are usually damaged, although
I have received mirror finish "proof like" circulation strikes
different places (I am lax for not taking proper care of these
rare gems).

They do charge a small fee for items that start at $0.99. If you choose
not to use a gallery picture, you can list pretty cheaply.

The kind of things I have for sale usually only get
one bid, so any auctions with no bids at all is a real problem
for me, especially if I notice the search engine will not
find the auction if I enter any word in the title in quotes,
and I consider that reason to cancel the auction.

I've sold just about anything you can think of on eBay. I find it a great
venue for many items. For awhile I was selling ceramic mugs I bought for a
quarter at Goodwill on eBay for $4-$8 each. But recently Goodwill changed
its pricing and things are too high to make a profit. Garage sales work
well though.

It is great for real collectibles, and "Mint Sets" must
be real collectibles, some years have prices better than the
same year proof set.

I just thought 2005 was not old enough to gave
increased in value, but I should have checked, any year
could be a real bomb if it gets popular.

My interest is in error cents, but the experts are
more selective than I think warrants provided any damage
is to the die before the strike or during the strike(s).

Perhaps I expect all auctions to go like some
of the Don Ensor mule print "Stubborn As".

Joe Fischer

Old July 6th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

"oly" wrote in message
ups.com...

bri wrote:
[...]

Another one is some Walkers made in the '40's. Those were selling for nearly
a grand for MS65-66's and now those are also stupid-cheap. And those will go
back up again eventually just like those Franklins have. Like an MS65 FBL
Franklin '60-'63 were selling for around $40 each and now they're up to
around a grand. People were excoriated back then when they bought those for
$40--I wish I was so stupid back then to have bought a whole pile of those
up. And eventually those Franklins will drop back down again to an
affordable level--probably not back down to $40 though.
BTW HTH means 'hope that helps'.

Old July 7th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

bri wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
ups.com...

bri wrote:
[...]

Sorry, but you are comparing apples and oranges. Statehood quarters
are clad, mostly ugly and all are less than ten years old. The lowest
mintage on these pups was about 420 million per design. Walkers and
Franklins have the advantages of being silver and they were made for
use, not for some artificial market.

Having said that, why do you think that Walkers and FBL Franklins are
such a great deal? Don't you know that modern coins are "pumped" and
"dumped"? To start with, dealers who specialize in "pump" and "dump"
gotta find something with a fair amount of availability (supply), and
when they've pumped the balloon as much as possible, they themselves
stop creating the artificial market (demand) and runaway with their
gains - though it can all continue a while longer after their
departure, as long as the dumbies haven't got the message.

Coin dealing is a wolves' lair. Unless you can wipe your ass with
twenty dollars bills and never know the difference, stay away from
ultra-high grade statehood quarters!

oly

Old July 8th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

wrote:

They are mint uncirulated sets. You know, two envelopes containing
cellophone sealed coins.

Sure, I thought they were called "Mint Sets" to identify
them as different from "Proof Sets", but what do I know.

I just call them that because the US Mint does. "United States Mint
Uncirculated Coin Set" is what they call them. The 2006 are coming out July
18.

Since I cut open the set, I found a source on eBay where I can get past
quarters for very cheap price and shipping. I'll have to figure out if it
is worth it to get the United States Mint Uncirculated Coin Sets and cut
them open or buy the quarters on eBay.

I have decided I will pay $0.50 each plus actual shipping costs in order to
get the rest of the coins for my album. My step dad used to work for a
vending company and he got me all the quarters I needed. He doesn't work
anymore and I am left with no reliable source. I've gotten over $500 in
rolls over the past year and it seems I was getting the same coins over and
over and none of them were in good condition.

In another thread, someone complained that SHQ's were not circulating. They
should see the coins I see. They ARE circulating quite well. Hahaha!

My "big city" is not very keen on coins. Can't find anything as they
recycle all their coins using Brinks and Loomis.

The only place I usually see truly uncirculated coins
is at Kroger or Walmart, or maybe any store that has an
outflow of coins.

I've gotten some rolls from the grocery. (I miss Kroger, lost them when I
moved down south) Same thing. EVERYONE in this city gets theie coins from
the same places, Brinks or Loomis and they don't get new coins very often
and when they do, they mix them in with the older coins.

Any store that has an inflow of coins has to take them
to the bank and by then they are usually damaged, although
I have received mirror finish "proof like" circulation strikes
different places (I am lax for not taking proper care of these
rare gems).

I, too, have receied some really nice coins the one or two times a month I
am forced to pay in cash for something. We get money just for using our
credit cards, so no incentive to lose money by paying in cash. It works for
us, I would not say it works for everyone, nor am I trying to start any
argument of cash against credit card.

They do charge a small fee for items that start at $0.99. If you choose
not to use a gallery picture, you can list pretty cheaply.

The kind of things I have for sale usually only get
one bid, so any auctions with no bids at all is a real problem
for me, especially if I notice the search engine will not
find the auction if I enter any word in the title in quotes,
and I consider that reason to cancel the auction.

I understand. I have had items that would not show up when I searched. The
strange thing is that I got bids anyway. I can't explain it. I never
search with quotes though. I do make use of the minus sign though.

I've sold just about anything you can think of on eBay. I find it a

great
venue for many items. For awhile I was selling ceramic mugs I bought for

quarter at Goodwill on eBay for $4-$8 each. But recently Goodwill

changed
its pricing and things are too high to make a profit. Garage sales work
well though.

It is great for real collectibles, and "Mint Sets" must
be real collectibles, some years have prices better than the
same year proof set.

I have oodles of mint sets. I was trying to get all of them since 1968, but
finally gave up. I tried selling them on eBay and got no bids or low bids
and, like you, had to close the auctions. They are really only worth
something to me, I guess.

I just thought 2005 was not old enough to gave
increased in value, but I should have checked, any year
could be a real bomb if it gets popular.

The 2005's are going for about what I paid for them, including shipping. I
could break even on them. Some people were saying they would be valuable
because it was the first year with the different finish. Too bad those
people didn't turn up to buy them. It was no loss to cut open one of the
4-5 sets I had bought. Speculation. I did well on the Marine dollars and
some other coins. So, I am not complaining.

My interest is in error cents, but the experts are
more selective than I think warrants provided any damage
is to the die before the strike or during the strike(s).

Perhaps I expect all auctions to go like some
of the Don Ensor mule print "Stubborn As".

Joe Fischer

Nice chat. Thanks.

Jonathan_ATC

Old July 8th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On Sat, "Jonathan_ATC" wrote:

I just call them that because the US Mint does. "United States Mint
Uncirculated Coin Set" is what they call them. The 2006 are coming out July
18.

I became confused when my son was going to send
me some older sets stated how they were marked on the
envelope, and when I got them they were proof sets.

I guess the way to differentiate is to call them either
"uncirculated circulation strike sets" or "proof sets". :-)

Since I cut open the set, I found a source on eBay where I can get past
quarters for very cheap price and shipping. I'll have to figure out if it
is worth it to get the United States Mint Uncirculated Coin Sets and cut
them open or buy the quarters on eBay.

I bought some 1976 quarters from a local dealer
to send to somebody in Spain, and was amazed at how
cheap the price was on both clad and silver BU.

I have decided I will pay $0.50 each plus actual shipping costs in order to
get the rest of the coins for my album. My step dad used to work for a
vending company and he got me all the quarters I needed. He doesn't work
anymore and I am left with no reliable source. I've gotten over $500 in
rolls over the past year and it seems I was getting the same coins over and
over and none of them were in good condition.

Almost any dealer should be willing to send them
for that price. I started to collect a roll set, but decided
if the mint wasn't smart enough to make both P and D
available in quantity, I would just try for one each.

In another thread, someone complained that SHQ's were not circulating. They
should see the coins I see. They ARE circulating quite well. Hahaha!

Some areas, even near large cities, will have _nothing_
but well circulated coins, and the reason is that people work
and shop in the city and the coins they get in change there
either end up in local banks or circulate locally.

I've gotten some rolls from the grocery. (I miss Kroger, lost them when I

moved down south) Same thing. EVERYONE in this city gets theie coins from
the same places, Brinks or Loomis and they don't get new coins very often
and when they do, they mix them in with the older coins.

I wonder where all the new coins go, maybe the FED
is hoarding them. :-)

I, too, have receied some really nice coins the one or two times a month I
am forced to pay in cash for something. We get money just for using our
credit cards, so no incentive to lose money by paying in cash. It works for
us, I would not say it works for everyone, nor am I trying to start any
argument of cash against credit card.

Credit cards are great, I had to use my inheritance
to pay them off, now I should cut them up and pay cash.

I understand. I have had items that would not show up when I searched. The
strange thing is that I got bids anyway. I can't explain it. I never
search with quotes though.

I use the quotes with one word to get past the
"category" menu, I like to directly search titles for things
like "lot", "nr", "no", etc., and I guess if it isn't my auction,
I don't know if all titles show up.

I do make use of the minus sign though.

I don't know what the minus sign does. :-)

I wish google had as good a search engine as ebay,
ebay will display _only_ titles with all words entered even
without the quotes or boolean expressions, while google
displays everything I don't want.

I have oodles of mint sets. I was trying to get all of them since 1968, but
finally gave up.

Isn't the price of the 1958 way up?

The price of mint sets and proof sets goes up slowly,
except for low mintage and special items. This is a problem
now because the cost from the mint is so much more than face,
it didn't use to be that way.

I tried selling them on eBay and got no bids or low bids
and, like you, had to close the auctions. They are really only worth
something to me, I guess.

A lot of people collect them, I think the mint tries
to anticipate just how many they can sell and still have new
year sets cheaper than the older sets.

The 2005's are going for about what I paid for them, including shipping. I
could break even on them. Some people were saying they would be valuable
because it was the first year with the different finish.

I should try to keep up better, but there seems to be
too many different issues, but it doesn't matter, I am not
interested in paying any premium, I would rather collect
from circulation, and wait a few years.

Too bad those
people didn't turn up to buy them. It was no loss to cut open one of the
4-5 sets I had bought. Speculation. I did well on the Marine dollars and
some other coins. So, I am not complaining.

I like folders with either all matched grades and finish,
or with all the spectacular issues, proofs mixed in.

But I would like to get some confidence to sell on ebay,
it is a good way to control unreasonable expectations.

Joe Fischer