Adjustable bookshelves--little metal things

Old March 31st 04, 07:17 PM
John P.

Default Adjustable bookshelves--little metal things

Do you know the term for the little metal things that hold up
adjustable bookshelves? I'd like to try to buy some online, but I am
having tremendous difficulty finding any.

I put a bookcase in storage for a few years, and now that I have taken
it out of storage, I can't find the little metal things that hold up
the shelves. I bought some at a local store, but they are a little
bit too big. Do the sizes differ from one manufacturer to another?
From one country to another? This particular bookcase was made in
England.

Thanks.

John
Old March 31st 04, 08:25 PM
Tom Coleman

"John P." wrote in message
m...
Do you know the term for the little metal things that hold up
adjustable bookshelves? I'd like to try to buy some online, but I am
having tremendous difficulty finding any.

I put a bookcase in storage for a few years, and now that I have taken
it out of storage, I can't find the little metal things that hold up
the shelves. I bought some at a local store, but they are a little
bit too big. Do the sizes differ from one manufacturer to another?
From one country to another? This particular bookcase was made in
England.

Thanks.

John

Hi John,

They're called U Brackets - if you're thinking of the metal adjustable track
shelving. If I remember it correctly there are 2 main manufacturers in the
UK supplying the DIY stores rather than selling direct & I don't think the
ranges are compatible. E.g
http://diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Subca...ID=2&SubID=409

Best of Luck

Tom

Old March 31st 04, 08:56 PM
Eric Bustad

Tom Coleman wrote:

"John P." wrote in message
m...

Do you know the term for the little metal things that hold up
adjustable bookshelves? I'd like to try to buy some online, but I am
having tremendous difficulty finding any.

I put a bookcase in storage for a few years, and now that I have taken
it out of storage, I can't find the little metal things that hold up
the shelves. I bought some at a local store, but they are a little
bit too big. Do the sizes differ from one manufacturer to another?
From one country to another? This particular bookcase was made in
England.

They're called U Brackets - if you're thinking of the metal adjustable track
shelving. If I remember it correctly there are 2 main manufacturers in the
UK supplying the DIY stores rather than selling direct & I don't think the
ranges are compatible. E.g
http://diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Subca...ID=2&SubID=409

I suspect that he is talking about the small tabs with pins that fit in
holes in the sides of the bookcase. Such as shown at
http://www.cabinetmart.com/shelf-supports.html.

= Eric

Old March 31st 04, 09:30 PM
Francis A. Miniter

I have had this problem too. I can only find the too big ones in the
stores. So I buy them, hold them tightly with a grip-lock type pliers
and grind them down on my bench top grinder.

Francis A. Miniter

John P. wrote:

Do you know the term for the little metal things that hold up
adjustable bookshelves? I'd like to try to buy some online, but I am
having tremendous difficulty finding any.

I put a bookcase in storage for a few years, and now that I have taken
it out of storage, I can't find the little metal things that hold up
the shelves. I bought some at a local store, but they are a little
bit too big. Do the sizes differ from one manufacturer to another?
From one country to another? This particular bookcase was made in
England.

Thanks.

John

Old March 31st 04, 11:27 PM
Jon Fredrik Stuestoel

"John P." wrote in message
m...
Do you know the term for the little metal things that hold up
adjustable bookshelves? I'd like to try to buy some online, but I am
having tremendous difficulty finding any.

I put a bookcase in storage for a few years, and now that I have taken
it out of storage, I can't find the little metal things that hold up
the shelves. I bought some at a local store, but they are a little
bit too big. Do the sizes differ from one manufacturer to another?
From one country to another? This particular bookcase was made in
England.

Thanks.

John

Buy the big ones, take your power drill, fit the right bit, expand the holes
excactly enough to fit the pegs you've got. Quick and easy.

Or you could try Ikea, they have the little metal things that fit their own
shelves. They are not expensive. They might fit.

Thirdly, you could buy the right dimension of metal rod in a hardware-store,
take your ever-ready angle sander (is that what it is called in English?),
and make as many as you need.

--
Jon Fredrik Stuestøl

Old April 1st 04, 04:54 AM
Andrew

Eric Bustad wrote:
"John P." wrote in message
m...
Do you know the term for the little metal things that hold up
adjustable bookshelves? I'd like to try to buy some online, but I am
having tremendous difficulty finding any.

I suspect that he is talking about the small tabs with pins that fit in
holes in the sides of the bookcase. Such as shown at
http://www.cabinetmart.com/shelf-supports.html.

I recently bought a bunch of extras from Lee Valley Tools
(http://www.leevalley.com) - try "Shelf Supports/Sleeves" under the
"Hardware - Shelf Hardware" section. They come in different sizes. If
you order from them, you should probably request a catalog and make up
an order - their minimum shipping to the US is $6.

Andrew Jr.
---
Andrew Cornwall
Old April 2nd 04, 03:17 AM
H Schinske

(John P.) wrote:

Do you know the term for the little metal things that hold up
adjustable bookshelves? I'd like to try to buy some online, but I am
having tremendous difficulty finding any.

I took some of the ones that did fit my shelves to a local carpenter shop that
specializes in making bookshelves, and fortunately one of their standard sizes
was the same size. They sold me a little bag of them for some very small sum.

--Helen