PING: Ira

Old April 23rd 05, 01:43 AM
Heezer Bumfrool

Default PING: Ira

What's your take on this 93-S?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PcY_BIN_Stores

Old April 23rd 05, 03:49 AM
Ira Stein

Heezer Bumfrool wrote:
What's your take on this 93-S?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PcY_BIN_Stores

Assuming it's not an added "S" why isn't it certified. Looks like an
EF-40 (barely). Again, I'm suspicious. I'll bet there's a problem I
can't see.

Ira

Old April 23rd 05, 03:59 AM
Ira Stein

Heezer Bumfrool wrote:
What's your take on this 93-S?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PcY_BIN_Stores

An addendum:

I enlarged the image in Photoshop and although I'm not 100% positive, I
cannot see the diagnostic die scratch in the T of Liberty, a must for a
genuine piece.It is possible, if genuine, PCGS might grade it
VF-35..then no bargain. NGC MIGHT grade it EF-40. They are a bit easier
on this date.

Ira

Old April 23rd 05, 04:37 AM
Paul Robertz

This coin is from one of my most trusted and favorite sellers, and it
has been in his EBay srore for at least three months. I have net the
seller in person at a major coin show, my workplace, and at his home.
He admits that the grades he posts in his auction titlles are on the
high side of what PCGS or NGC might assign, but he is forced to do this
given all the overgrading and misrepresentation on eBay. Return
privelges are not an issue with this seller, unless you harshly clean
or alter an expensive coin from him.

Randy Holder is one of the very few people I have met who can support
his family by trading raw coins without taking undue advantage of his
buyers. He may have paid too much for this 1893-S. which probably
grades VF-35 and comes with a good return privilege.

Old April 23rd 05, 04:58 AM
reality

Heezer Bumfrool wrote:
What's your take on this 93-S?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PcY_BIN_Stores

I'm not Ira, but I've gotta ask. . . why would you buy a coin of this
caliber on E-Bay without certification? You can't get a true bargain
on this coin on EBay or otherwise PERIOD. . . so BEWARE even more so!
Every serious collector with a brain DEMANDS an authenticated and
certified 1893-S Morgan when they are going for this one in this grade.
The lame rationalization offered by "Paul Robertz" doesn't work for
me. Sorry Paul, but I don't know/never have heard of you. AVOID is my
advice. And BTW, I don't give a rat's ass if you don't like my advice
"Paul". So don't even bother....

Old April 23rd 05, 08:23 AM
Jack

Coin Value list this coin (E-40) at $8500.00. E-50 at $22,000.00.

Old April 23rd 05, 09:26 AM
Hobab

"reality" blasted Paul Robertz with:
The lame rationalization offered by "Paul Robertz" doesn't work for
me. Sorry Paul, but I don't know/never have heard of you. AVOID is my
advice. And BTW, I don't give a rat's ass if you don't like my advice
"Paul". So don't even bother....

Yikes! Why so harsh an attack for a man making a statement that, though you
find it to be of no value, may be helpful to another interested enthusiast?

Hobab

Old April 23rd 05, 01:41 PM
Anita

On 22 Apr 2005 19:59:12 -0700, "Ira Stein" wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...PcY_BIN_Stores

I enlarged the image in Photoshop and although I'm not 100% positive, I
cannot see the diagnostic die scratch in the T of Liberty, a must for a
genuine piece.It is possible, if genuine, PCGS might grade it
VF-35..then no bargain. NGC MIGHT grade it EF-40. They are a bit easier
on this date.

The date looked correct, but I couldn't tell if it had the divided Y
"pedestal" on Liberty and, as the said, the characteristic die mark
(Coin Grading & Counterfeit Detection, pg 376). Could you tell what
the large white spot on Liberty's lower hair was? It showed up in the
supersized image very nicely.

I did not like the way the surface was so rough. I would expect it to
be smoother for a coin showing this degree of wear. This dollar has
either been through some rough times or the picture is is harsh on the
surface.

Anita
Old April 23rd 05, 01:48 PM
Jose Vega

hi,i agree,why attack the poor man. sometimes i do not understand why
some people have to go on the attack mode,and judge someone that list a
raw coin? I can take some constructive crititism from time to time. i
know knowledge can be good when you know about coins. but,please, let
all the sarcasm off the board. my opinion.. that's just me..
Jose

Old April 23rd 05, 01:56 PM
Jose Vega

hi,a rats ass?...i respect your opinion on this coin,but such harsh
choice of words maybe kinda of harmful to other viewers. just my
opinion..
Jose

PING: Ian (also a note to all) John Carney Coins 5 December 12th 04 07:09 PM
Re : Ping Eric. K6AZ Coins 6 May 31st 04 05:43 PM
Ping Eric. Wheeler Coins 1 May 29th 04 04:07 AM
PING: RCC Mint Coin Hosts Steve Gill Coins 2 August 3rd 03 11:43 PM
PING Mike Marotta South of Provemont Coins 3 July 24th 03 04:22 AM