Bought a nice set in the store today.

Old March 11th 05, 01:23 AM
Wes Chormicle

Default Bought a nice set in the store today.

Last week a fellow came in with a large collection and wanted it appraised,
thinking he might sell it. When all was said and done the appraisal was in
the low 5 figure range. It included a nice complete set of Indian Cents,
about 1/3 of them BU. Seven really nice GSA (1880-1885) Morgan's (I grade
them 64's) and bunches of low graded Seated Lib dimes and quarters, and
about 6 gold coins.

Well, he called me yesterday and told me he bought a "coin book" was
looking at the values and would get back to me. I explained retail vs.
wholesale and how a lot of the stuff was common low grade that would take a
while to move, etc.

He comes in today and says after he looked at the "coin book" he thought my
5 figure offer was "a little low". We talked some more and he says, "Well,
if you could do $200 more we can make a deal"

I'll be putting some of this on eBay soon, if anybody has a need for some
nice Indians, let me know.

Wes

---

Old March 11th 05, 01:34 AM
James Higby

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Wow, when I had read as far as "a little low" I figured the next sentence
would have the guy asking $100k and storming out amidst a stream of
expletives about how this dealer was a crook, all dealers are crooks, etc.
etc. This is truly a story with an unexpected punch line, and I'm happy for
you that you got to broker the deal. Keep smilin'!

James

Old March 11th 05, 09:08 AM
Peter Smith

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:34:25 -0600, "James Higby"
heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote:

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Yes, this has happened to me once, A chap came with a collection of
proofs and piedforts that had been issued by the royal mint in the
early 90's. He told me he had no idea about the coins or their value
and asked if I would make an offer for them. I said it would take an
hour or so, he said that was fine and that he would come back in a
couple of hours because he had some shopping to do.

I come up with a price of about £950 for the items and then the chap
returns, I tell him my offer and then get told i'm a "F**king con
artist" this is because in his back pocket he has the receipts from
the royal mint showing his father paid around £2000. This I thought
was strange, considering he said he had no idea how much these were
worth.

Anyway, I tell him he could try a few other coin dealers in the area
and off he goes chuntering to himself. Two weeks later he returns
asking if I would by them for £950. I politely refused his request
stating I was a bit strapped for cash and that my offer had now
dropped to £600. Sadly he accepted that offer, saying it was still the
best offer

Peter

Old March 11th 05, 09:33 AM
James Higby

"Peter Smith" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:34:25 -0600, "James Higby"
heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote:

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

I'm glad you were able to buy the coins. But I would caution against
letting the someone leave and then come back like that. If they are the
type who will accuse you of lowballing them, they are also the type who will
accuse you of slipping some of their coins into your pocket while they're
gone.

James

Old March 11th 05, 05:50 PM
Bob Hairgrove

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:23:27 GMT, "Wes Chormicle"
wrote:

I'll be putting some of this on eBay soon, if anybody has a need for some
nice Indians, let me know.

Wes

Well, I'm always on the lookout for nice Indians (cents, that is) --
here's my current "wish list" (EF/AU or better):

1860, 1861, 1862, 1864 bronze (with or without L), anything between
1866 and 1878 that I can afford g, and anything else before 1900. I
have an 1872 IHC with AU details, but it was cleaned. However, since I
*know* I won't be able to afford anything of that strike in an
uncleaned condition, I'll pass on that year, too.

I'll keep an "eagle eye" out for them Injuns of your'n! g

--
Bob Hairgrove