So it was the Manganese, huh?

Old August 25th 12, 11:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
george pearl

Default So it was the Manganese, huh?

Back in 2004 I bought some Sac dollars thru the mail.
These were "hand-selected coins for their briliance
and stike". Baloney--they just fished them out of a
roll and sent them to me in a couple of flips.

Eight years later I take a look at them and they all
look like they've got smoke damage. Should I blame the
flip or were these coins destined to tarnish?
Old August 26th 12, 12:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Aug 25, 6:45*pm, george pearl wrote:
Back in 2004 I bought some Sac dollars thru the mail.
These were "hand-selected coins for their briliance
and stike". *Baloney--they just fished them out of a
roll and sent them to me in a couple of flips.

Eight years later I take a look at them and they all
look like they've got smoke damage. Should I blame the
flip or were these coins destined to tarnish?

My own "brilliant" Sac collection is, for the most part, intact (my
2x2s are pretty tight). They still have full luster, but the loose
ones have tarnished somewhat. My 2000 mint roll is still wrapped, but
the end coins have tarnished/toned. I can't say whether it's the
manganese in the alloy or not, but Sacs (and Prexibux) have a
notoriety for coffee-colored toning.

Jerry
Old August 26th 12, 01:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Aug 25, 5:45*pm, george pearl wrote:
Back in 2004 I bought some Sac dollars thru the mail.
These were "hand-selected coins for their briliance
and stike". *Baloney--they just fished them out of a
roll and sent them to me in a couple of flips.

Eight years later I take a look at them and they all
look like they've got smoke damage. Should I blame the
flip or were these coins destined to tarnish?

Should have used airtites, maybe a one-time wipe with a clean cotton
cloth before putting them in.

However, can't imagine that there is any financial loss, and the coins
will always be great historical artififacts hearkening us to those
great glorious days when we still had a real economy and a President
who was (and still is) an actual American citizen.

oly

huh Mike[_7_] Coins 1 August 8th 09 09:18 PM
Huh? George D[_5_] Coins 3 February 26th 09 02:06 AM
Huh? Kris Baker Books 8 March 4th 06 04:44 PM
huh ? since when are these worth $3 each... trippin28track 8 Track Tapes 0 August 8th 04 12:55 PM
TRUGRADE? HUH? Linda Coins 3 August 8th 03 01:18 AM