The problem with the tumbleweed board...

Old February 2nd 04, 02:28 AM
trippin2-8track

Default The problem with the tumbleweed board...

Got an interesting email from a cool 8-tracker today, thought I'd
share it on this NG. I know many read this NG even though they may not
post, so here it is. He was describing Dan Gibson, Paul Evans, and
John Winnard in the email:

"Did you read this article about how the internet is killing our hobby
? It's very interesting.

It talks about "niche" groups on the net, focused on there own
particular tastes in carts, and the supplies they sell. Some people
feel their particular tastes in 8-track tapes are not discussed
enough, or how they maintain their tapes, so additional web sites pop
up that focus on these specifics. Then people still don't feel
important enough, so more web sites pop up dealing with a specific
brand, make, and color, to form an even tighter club. This somewhat
elite attitude eventually turns into boredom, then hate, and hate
seems to fuel many Q&A discussion boards. There are those that really
feel alienated and intimidated by the web, because suddenly all of
their knowledge, and all the expertise they thought they had, pales in
comparison to what they find on the net. This creates hostility toward
other people, so they visit discussion boards and attack individuals
for being "stupid" about something. Of course, these people can
maintain their anonymity, and toss stones at others without any
repercussions. It also allows rumors and incorrect information to fly
around virtually unchecked, and by the time the topic is addressed and
straightened out, it's old news, no one cares anymore, and the damage
has already been done. It mentions the hate e-mails, accusing the
fixing of net threads/results and/or running articles simply to cater
to sellers of 8-track supplies and tapes, and those rumors start on
discussion boards or web sites.

Anyway, that was the basis of the article, and like I said, it's an
interesting article that was well written. It appears that he is
starting to see the end coming for certain 8-track hobbyist
cliques/businesses. Everything now is on the net, and it's
instantaneous, and the information is free.

In my opinion, I tend to agree. The internet has been fantastic, but
the longer people are on it, the more fixated and finite they become.
Once they've scooped up all the info they can get about their
particular likes or topic, they become bored, and then they begin to
lash out at what they feel are "idiots" that are just getting into the
hobby. This mentality fragments, then alienates people that previously
shared common interests."
Old February 2nd 04, 02:50 AM
8-track Eye Candy

What a load of utter bull****. Sounds like the author is a whiney
paranoid schizophrenic or something... Jesus. Get a grip. Just enjoy
your ****ing 8-tracks!

Old February 2nd 04, 12:06 PM
trippin2-8track

Guys, the author is talking about the exact same attitudes you both
are exibiting right now. What's with the reclusive, exclusive, shut-in
type demeanor lately ?? I tend to agree with the article, it's time
everyone came out of their shell a bit, and stopped trying to exclude
each other from the hobby. At this rate you each will have your own
website, with an audience that only shares your views. TC8trax, you
fall right into this pattern, you have already started your own
exclusive website. And the article hits home with you, no wonder you
respond negatively- very obvious. The rest on the Yahoo site also fit
the template.

If you want to see the 8-track die again, a terminal death, just keep
it up. We should be embracing newcomers to the hobby, not shunning
them. The first thing you fellas do if you hear an opinion different
than your own, from someone in another geographic area, is start
talking "killfile". Or flame someone for using foil tape and Scotch
splices. "smart"

Or start your own board...well, that's been done before.

That's lame, close-minded approach you have, don't ya' think ??

It's time we all "chilled". I'll accept part of the responsibility-
my New Year's Resolution is to post less vinegar here starting today-
I don't mind leading by example.
Old February 2nd 04, 10:15 PM
Fx199

Got an interesting email from a cool 8-tracker today, thought I'd
share it on this NG. I know many read this NG even though they may not
post, so here it is. He was describing Dan Gibson, Paul Evans, and
John Winnard in the email:

So why did you post this?
Just to start trouble?
Why worry about "The Tumbleweed board"?
Before you blow your stack, I didn't call you any names. I'm afraid your true
colors will eventually show through no matter what you say, (or who you say you
are), that's why you are shunned.
Old February 2nd 04, 11:09 PM
Daniel & Kathy Gibson

Sounds like the author was our very own Charlie Nudo. He is so fixated
on myself, PB and winnard that he imagines us into everything he reads.
Nudo, you have some serious issues.

And to any newbies reading his posts out there, please keep in mind that
Charlie Nudo (trippin28tracks here, 66fourdoor on ebay) is a troll who
effectively ruined this newsgroup. Virtually nothing he says is true,
and he cannot be trusted. Many of the people who used to frequent this
newsgroup had dealings with him, and almost everyone ended up regretting
it. I would recommend that you not trusty anything he says, nor have any
business dealings with him. Just go review his rants on google groups,
and you decide.

Danno

--

Daniel and Kathy Gibson
http://www.katestrackshack.com
Old February 3rd 04, 11:28 AM
trippin2-8track

Dan Gibson of the Track Shack, seller of Win-Gibs ****ty, overpriced
8-track pads, and seller of non-working tapes for 50 cents each...

You fit the template of the article quite well, another
self-proclaimed "elitist", attacking people on this 8-track NG.

You just proved it- by taking that article so personally.
Old February 3rd 04, 11:33 AM
trippin2-8track

So why did you post this?
Just to start trouble?
Why worry about "The Tumbleweed board"?
Before you blow your stack, I didn't call you any names. I'm afraid your true
colors will eventually show through no matter what you say, (or who you say you
are), that's why you are shunned.

I posted it cuz it accurately describes what is happening, from
another person's viewpoint.

I'm not concerned with the tumbleweed board, never read it, never even
applied for a username, never will either.

Shunned ?? By who, where ?? I'm here. You're posting on my thread. So
are many others. I wouldn't call that shunned. Where's the negative ??
Old February 3rd 04, 07:50 PM
scottamerica

"trippin2-8track" wrote in message
om...
Dan Gibson of the Track Shack, seller of Win-Gibs ****ty, overpriced
8-track pads, and seller of non-working tapes for 50 cents each...

And those are their Good Points!

Scott
King of Scribe

Old February 3rd 04, 11:39 PM
8-track Eye Candy

scottamerica wrote:

And those are their Good Points!

Scott
King of Scribes

Wow, Scottie sure has taken a lot of demotions over the last year. He
started out as the King of Music Culture, then he was the King of All
Newgroups, and now he's just the King of Scribes. Sheesh... all the way
from being a major player in music history to a lousy scribe.

Well, at least he's still a king though. Doesn't speak well for the rest
of the scribe community, however.