Australian Collectors - PLEASE help.....

Old July 19th 03, 05:35 AM
VSAndrew

Default Australian Collectors - PLEASE help.....

Hey:

If you take a look at eBay Item #2941450255
(http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...3473&item=2941
450255). Can someone please tell me if this is a special cover in anyway? I
am just curious to why it went up to $5.50 within a few hours of it being on
eBay.

Andrew
Old July 19th 03, 06:08 AM
Rodney

Hey ???????

This is the reponse I received from the link
Invalid Item
The item you requested ( 2941 ) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try
again. If this message persists, the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or has expired
and is no longer available.

Just a FYI,
first day covers esp pre decimal, are rocketing skywards
if the latest auctions are an indication.
I am due to post some info on FDC's in the next few days
providing I get the approval of commentary.

HTH

Old July 19th 03, 06:31 AM
Rodney

Ooops,
negotiated the split link.

Current value is $4 AUD approx,
perhaps the Alice Springs cancel may hold interest,
The stamp shows the grave of John Flynn at Alice Springs.

Oz FDC's were issued by private concerns (as this one)
until 1970 when the PO began their marketing drive.
Value may be due to this. In fact some "Wesley" covers
I have just read, have been "faked" so high desire
must be there.

HTH

Old July 19th 03, 06:35 AM
Bob Ingraham

From: (VSAndrew)
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: 19 Jul 2003 04:35:31 GMT
Subject: Australian Collectors - PLEASE help.....

Hey:

I once had an English teacher, Miss Vaughan, who always said, whenever
someone said "Hey," "Save your hay and marry a horse someday."

If you take a look at eBay Item #2941450255
(http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...3473&item=2941
450255). Can someone please tell me if this is a special cover in anyway? I
am just curious to why it went up to $5.50 within a few hours of it being on
eBay.

Well, it's signed, presumably by someone personally involved with the
mission being commemorated. That would add to the value, especially if the
person is well known.

Alice Springs is a remote, small, but well-known location. The current bid,
$5.50, is not exactly a fortune, and bidding may or may not go any higher.
It could be that the bidder has some personal reason for wanting this cover,
and is willing to spend whatever it takes to get it; the bid does not
necessarily reflect "market value," but may simply indicate that one or two
people have special interest in the item that is not shared by anyone else
who happens to see it.

Beyond the cover itself, what strikes me is that you are posting this
question when you yourself are the seller. Perhaps I am too cynical, but
your post seems to be little more than an attempt to market the cover.

Bob Ingraham,
Vancouver

Old July 19th 03, 08:05 PM
Victor Manta

"Rodney" wrote in message
snip
As Bob indicated, depends on the buyer motive mostly, value is in
the eye of the beholder.

As long as the beholder has only one eye, it's still simple.

Victor Manta
On values

Old July 19th 03, 09:01 PM
TC

(
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...3473&item=2941
450255). Can someone please tell me if this is a special cover in anyway? I
am just curious to why it went up to $5.50 within a few hours of it being on
eBay.

Andrew

It appears to be autographed
(by the stamp designer perhaps?).

Blair

Old July 19th 03, 09:01 PM
TC

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:08:18 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

Hey ???????

This is the reponse I received from the link
Invalid Item
The item you requested ( 2941 ) is invalid, still pending, or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try
again. If this message persists, the item has either not started and is not yet available for viewing, or has expired
and is no longer available.

Try:

Currewntly at $6.45 US

Blair

Old July 19th 03, 09:11 PM
VSAndrew

Blair:

That is the same link. It is autographed by someone. I can not make it out.
This item is listed under my name, I was just wondering why it is so popular...

Andrew
Old July 19th 03, 10:39 PM
Rodney

| As long as the beholder has only one eye, it's still simple.

'Aint necesarily so....
Generally, It's that one eye that creats the havoc.
That's the eye that purchases the lotto ticket.