The two Bobs and the fake Trade Dollar in fake PCGS slab on eBay:Ira's take on this matter

Old April 21st 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default The two Bobs and the fake Trade Dollar in fake PCGS slab on eBay:Ira's take on this matter

On Apr 21, 6:24*am, "PC" wrote:
wrote in message

On Apr 20, 7:29 pm, "PC" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 20, 6:42 pm, "PC" wrote:

Lincoln collector demand is hardly a fad. Gross overpayment on common

OK. Buy a few "condition rarities" at these prices and let me know how
they go a couple of years after the "Abraham Lincoln Fad" has
passed.

You do realize these things can be looked up

Then...look 'em up!!

Sorry, junior. **You* made the allegation. *It is incumbent upon you to back
it up with data or be dismissed as a blowhard. *Your choice.

No dimbulb, YOU made the allegation that these things can be looked
up, as if you have some sort of evidence to refute my assertion that
condition "rarities" will ultimately collapse under the weight of
their overinflated prices.

But, in the future I will be happy to lend you an "I told you so" when
that ultimately happens.

Be sure to include your "Registration Set" score while you're beating
me up!

Another strawman.

No. *Just REALITY.

Hey! *Look at the monkey!

The mirror never lies and apparently you were looking in one when you
posted that.
Old April 21st 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 20, 8:17*pm, oly wrote:
On Apr 20, 9:50*pm, wrote:

On Apr 20, 7:29*pm, "PC" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 20, 6:42 pm, "PC" wrote:

Lincoln collector demand is hardly a fad. Gross overpayment on common

OK. Buy a few "condition rarities" at these prices and let me know how
they go a couple of years after the "Abraham Lincoln Fad" has
passed.

You do realize these things can be looked up

Then...look 'em up!!

Be sure to include your "Registration Set" score while you're beating
me up!

Another strawman.

No. *Just REALITY.

Very tongue-in-cheek (I think):

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8e74100c-2...feabdc0.html?f...

We will never be back to the euphoric financial conditions of
2002-2007 in my lifetime. *Avoid the sellers of magic beans.

oly

I don't intend to stop collecting coins. I will however avoid the
worthless common dreck that is being peddled as "rare" these days such
as overpriced condition rarities, SAEs, common modern commems, etc,
etc....
Old April 21st 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Apr 21, 10:55*am, "Bob F." wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

Whomever is presently the President has little to do with it. *The die
was cast (and broken) several years back.

The USA went to hell in a handbasket this time starting with Reagan's
"trickle down" "voodoo economics" which increased the Federal deficit by
a few trillion.
Bush I was a continuation of Reagan.
Clinton somehow managed to balance the budget but ushered in even more
questionable financial deregulation and, of course, NAFTA (We Hafta!).
Bush II was a completely failed presidency, led by a corrupt, evil war
criminal (Cheney) and his incompetent stooge (Dubya).
If anybody thinks the bill won't come due to the American public for the
multi-trillion dollar Federal "bail outs", they're dreaming.
I'd bet the farm the bill will be paid by the so-called "invisible tax",
inflation.
It may not happen this year or next but it will happen.

I agree that there will be significant future inflation and disagree
that, at this point, President Reagan had anything much to do with
it.

Reagan was a very great man and pulled us out of a vast national
quagmire after James Earl Carter, Jr.

The Bushies, Rumsfeldt and Cheney were all legacies left to us by the
incomparable Richard Nixon.

But they are all figureheads. The real problem is our national and
personal propensities to borrow, spend and live well beyond what we
have earned. The idea that you can buy a modern one cent coin for
$2,000 and sell it five years later for $10,000 is just another
variety of our national delusions - forcefully helped along by certain
unmentionable unreliable undesireables.

You are living in the past RF. Probably 50% of the American People
can't remember any Presidents besides Clinton, Bush II and the present
incumbent.

oly

Old April 21st 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.[_4_]

"oly" wrote in message
I agree that there will be significant future inflation and disagree
that, at this point, President Reagan had anything much to do with it.

Reagan's voodoo economics and deregulation started us on the path that
led to today's mess.

Reagan was a very great man and pulled us out of a vast national
quagmire after James Earl Carter, Jr.

Carter inherited the mess made by Richard Nixon and his corruption and
Gerald Ford and his unforgivable pardon of Nixon.
Carter was a decent guy who was just in over his head.
Reagan was an empty suit, for the most part, and his main goal as
President seemed to be to reward his rich backers out of the gubmint
trough.
Ronnie was a likeable guy who could **** on your shoe and convince you
it was raining but he wasn't a "very great man".

Old April 21st 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Apr 21, 12:20*pm, wrote:
On Apr 20, 8:17*pm, oly wrote:

On Apr 20, 9:50*pm, wrote:

On Apr 20, 7:29*pm, "PC" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 20, 6:42 pm, "PC" wrote:

Lincoln collector demand is hardly a fad. Gross overpayment on common

OK. Buy a few "condition rarities" at these prices and let me know how
they go a couple of years after the "Abraham Lincoln Fad" has
passed.

You do realize these things can be looked up

Then...look 'em up!!

Be sure to include your "Registration Set" score while you're beating
me up!

I don't intend to stop collecting coins. *I will however avoid the
worthless common dreck that is being peddled as "rare" these days such
as overpriced condition rarities, SAEs, common modern commems, etc,
etc....

Actually I agree with realitych on this point. People, many in fact,
collect modern commems, SAEs, modern coinage (1959 and newer) in high
grades because the population shows that at the very top conditions,
relatively few have been graded. This is illusory, however, as the
vast majority of these coin a have NEVER been submitted to the grading
companies. As more are submitted, pops will dramatically increase and
the pops will decline dramatically and so will the prices.

I don't sell this modern stuff and never will. They are almost always
in high grades when encountered, slabbed or not. They are popular
because they are AVAILABLE and mostly affordable. I also agree that
the 1909 S VdB is overhyped as to it's rarity. When you consider
dates such as the 1915-S in red or RB, 1923-S or 1925-S in red or red/
brown, that's another story entirely. These dates are scarce to quite
rare on high grades and demand outstrips supply. Collecting Lincoln
cents is hardly a passing fad. The highest grades are in strong hands
and millions of Lincoln 1c collectors won't ever acquire the higher
grades of many early dates. There will not be fire sales of high grade
early dates, especially mintmarked dates, oly's pronouncements
notwithstanding.

Oly is always fond of calling me a coin "flipper," instead of being a
true numismatist. That's what I do ! I am a coin dealer that is
constantly selling his inventory? Isn't that a dealer is supposed to
do?it's true that I haven't upgraded his Lincoln cents in years. Yet
I've not sold any of my collections and have no plans to do so. I
enjoy sharp photos of my coins and only rarely visit them in their
bank vaults. I am not against gold and I believe folks should earmark
a small percentage of their investment dollars to gold bullion, more
as a hedge against inflation. The government has such an onerous
reporting process in place for gold sellers that I rarely sell more
than a few pieces a year.

Ira

Ira Stein
Old April 21st 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"oly" wrote in message

Reagan was a very great man and pulled us out of a vast national
quagmire after James Earl Carter, Jr.

Hang on a minute while I finish puking.

The idea that you can buy a modern one cent coin for
$2,000 and sell it five years later for $10,000 is just another

Strawman argument. No one made any such claim.
Old April 21st 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

wrote in message

No dimbulb, YOU made the allegation that these things can be looked
up,

Dodge noted. When you decide to grow up we can continue.

Old April 21st 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

wrote in message
I don't intend to stop collecting coins. I will however avoid the
worthless common dreck that is being peddled as "rare" these days such
as overpriced condition rarities, SAEs, common modern commems, etc,
etc....

Which has nothing to do with what was being discussed.

Old April 21st 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"oly" wrote in message
On Apr 21, 10:55 am, "Bob F." wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

You've ably demonstrated that... with your hazy, hagiographic images of
Reagan. He was just as much a pragmatist as Nixon and the other
"conservatives" who paid lip service to fiscal responsibility even as they
opened the taps to pay for their pet projects and politically expedient
causes.

Old April 21st 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

mazorj wrote:
"oly" wrote in message
On Apr 21, 10:55 am, "Bob F." wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

I'm still trying to figure out where all those Teabaggers came from all of a
sudden, with their posters of Hitler and Mussolini. They must have lived in
some other country 2001-2009.

James