The State Of Tape

Old May 25th 04, 05:25 PM
TC8trax

Default The State Of Tape

I've noticed that the state of analog tape has left cassettes as the
most lowly of the genre. Ten-years-ago, you'd find 8-tracks for a dime
apiece at the SAL or Goodwill and garage sales. Now you'll find
cassette tapes by the box and bucketfull everywhere and they can't give
them away. They are completely without value to anyone.

8-Tracks have taken on a special cache, while the lowly cassette is
destined to be a rejected and unloved format forever. Generally,
cassettes have always sucked, and will continue to suck, long after the
decline of civilization. Although there is a newsgroup:
alt.collecting.cassettes where they not so much praise teh format, but
seem to be trying to sell off what they have (without much success).

I think it is doubtful that ANYONE will ever choose to collect and
treasure cassettes the way WE collect and preserve the grandest of all
analog tape formats, the 8-Track tape!

But of course that all goes without saying, so nevermind...

TC8trax
Tom
Old May 26th 04, 08:58 AM
wereoboy

"TC8trax" wrote in message
[...]

Anything you say sucks, and will continue to suck...

Scott
King of Usenet

Old May 28th 04, 12:27 PM
trippin2-8track

TC8trax wrote in message ...
[...]

No doubt someone, somewhere, is jealousy hoarding cassettes, and
writing a history of how they replaced 8-track and vinyl in the
1980's, and were the premier format for a short time.

That was a sad time indeed, the changeover period from 8-track and
vinyl, to CD-when you'd go into a music store and the racks were
filled with CASSETTES for $9 each. F-ing horrifying actually...the
nerve of those music companies.
Old May 29th 04, 12:03 AM
Fx199

Subject: The State Of Tape
From: (trippin2-8track)
Date: 5/28/2004 6:27 AM US Eastern Standard Time
TC8trax wrote in message
[...]

About the only people collecting cassettes are people trying to collect their
favorite artist on every format ever made.

The only other thing saving cassettes is the amazing amount of automobiles that
have cassette players, I record my own on TDK and a Onkyo deck and they sound
many times better than any store bought cassette ever has that I have listened
to. It won't be long before I'm giving away a huge crate of space robbing
cassettes tho'
Old May 29th 04, 04:08 AM
Bluemuse

The only other thing saving cassettes is the amazing amount of automobiles
that
have cassette players,

Leaving 8 tracks aside for now, I think cassettes still make more sense in cars
than CDs. The cases are easier to open one-handed, it doesn't matter if they're
right side up or not, and you don't have to worry about fingerprints.

I record my own on TDK and a Onkyo deck and they sound
many times better than any store bought cassette ever has that I have listened
to.

With rare exception, the major labels used about the crappiest tape they could
get away with.

--Bob Farace

"I only believe in fire." --Anais Nin
Old May 29th 04, 10:21 PM
DOGGIE104

I record my own on TDK and a Onkyo deck and they sound
many times better than any store bought cassette ever has

The ultimate reason for the fall of the cassette. later, ron
Old May 30th 04, 02:35 PM
trippin2-8track

I was in WALMART Superstore last week- guess what- an entire rack of
classic rock cassettes brand spankin' new in shrink wrap for $4.96
each.