Help us save usenet news for Time-Warner customers

Old June 17th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Usenet user

Default Help us save usenet news for Time-Warner customers

Time-Warner corporate is dropping usenet news as of June 23, 2008.

Please help by asking them to keep it. The person to call works for the TW president:

Barbara Burroughs
phone 203-351-2281

email:

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **
Old June 23rd 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 23 Jun 2008 05:55:39 GMT, Joshua McGee
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 02:53:08 +0000, Joshua McGee wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:00:22 +0000, Joshua McGee wrote:

Time-Warner corporate is dropping usenet news as of June 23, 2008.

Four hours (local time) until the plug is pulled, according to this
rumor. I'll report back on whether we're out in the cold (a.k.a. Google
News) after midnight -- and then again after midnight on Tuesday, in
case it's a "through the 23rd" kind of thing.

Well, it looks like it has indeed happened: TW pulled the plug. Do my
posts look any different? I have switched to Giganews (I'm not
financially involved financially, just reporting, so I think it's cool to
name the company.) One thing I notice? My posts show up *immediately*
-- no more ten minute wait. I love that.

I got only the Bronze package (2GB/month limit), which sets me back $8/
mo. Who would use more than that, you ask? Well, Giganews retains
alt.binaries ng posts for 200 days. The twenty and thirty dollar per
month plans are for media pirates, I presume. Anyone want to download a
new release? They have a 10GB three-day free trial period. ;-)

(Of course I don't sanction that kind of thing blah blah hello FBI and
INTERPOL....)

I have been on and off GigaNews, depending on cash flow, for 3 - 4
years and have nothing but good things about their service. :^)

Now, about the FBI, CIA, NSA, and all those cronies, I torrent
instead. Oops...

PS - I am not financially involved financially at GigaNews either.
Old June 23rd 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 23 Jun 2008 06:13:39 GMT, Joshua McGee
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 01:58:56 -0400, Tracy_Barber wrote:

Now, about the FBI, CIA, NSA, and all those cronies, I torrent instead.
Oops...

I got an envelope from my last ISP: a cover letter on ISP letterhead, and
a detailed printout, from Universal Pictures, containing date, time, my
IP address, and the name of the "House M.D." torrent they found me
seeding.

Cheaper than a lawsuit, and scared me straight (or SSL) right pronto.

Ahhh, seeders. I see...

[ Hears knock on the door. Man yelling loudly to open up! Tips over
chair as he jumps from window. Forgot they had that exit covered
also. News at eleven. ]
Old June 23rd 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 02:53:08 +0000, Joshua McGee wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:00:22 +0000, Joshua McGee wrote:

Time-Warner corporate is dropping usenet news as of June 23, 2008.

Four hours (local time) until the plug is pulled, according to this
rumor. I'll report back on whether we're out in the cold (a.k.a. Google
News) after midnight -- and then again after midnight on Tuesday, in
case it's a "through the 23rd" kind of thing.

Well, it looks like it has indeed happened: TW pulled the plug. Do my
posts look any different? I have switched to Giganews (I'm not
financially involved financially, just reporting, so I think it's cool to
name the company.) One thing I notice? My posts show up *immediately*
-- no more ten minute wait. I love that.

Hello Josh.

About a year ago Rogers here in Ontario, Canada discontinued carrying
newsgroups. Since I enjoy very much a few - very few - newsgroups I decided
to give Giganews a tryout for a few dollars a month. I have nothing to
complain about - they give me everything they promised when I enquired about
their service. I agree, their instant posting is great - a heck of a lot
better than Rogers ever gave us.

Incidentally, I am not involved with Giganews other than the fact that I
purchase their service.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old June 23rd 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:24:45 -0400, "Tony Vella"
wrote:

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Does that mean that you're not financially involved financially? :^)

[ Keep J. M. on his toes. ]
Old June 23rd 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
antoine gelat[_2_]

In the context of this email, what does "torrent"mean?

Tony

"Joshua McGee" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 01:58:56 -0400, Tracy_Barber wrote:

Now, about the FBI, CIA, NSA, and all those cronies, I torrent instead.
Oops...

I got an envelope from my last ISP: a cover letter on ISP letterhead, and
a detailed printout, from Universal Pictures, containing date, time, my
IP address, and the name of the "House M.D." torrent they found me
seeding.

Cheaper than a lawsuit, and scared me straight (or SSL) right pronto.

--
Joshua H. McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS

Old June 24th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

wrote:

[...]

Teranews is an alternate choice. It used to be totally free, but they
now charge a #3.95 one-time signup fee. There's a daily limit of 50 mb.
Teranews also offers a paid service with either no limit or much larger
limits.

Verizon will continue with many newsgroups, but they are dropping the
entire .alt community as of tomorrow.

Bill
Old June 24th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:19:43 -0500, "antoine gelat"
wrote:

In the context of this email, what does "torrent"mean?

It is a type of file that carries specific information about another
set of files. It is one of the many ways that people share files on
the Internet. It is not a .RAR or .ZIP because it doesn't house the
actual data, just meta data about the other file(s).
Old June 24th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 23:00:49 GMT, Bill Sharpe

wrote:

[...]

$3.95 is quite inexpensive if one wants the text newsgroups and if the
ISP is reliable. It's a bargain, actually. Some of the information
gleaned by the posts is worth more than that in one post are at the
most - a few posts.

The .alt arena has been a no-man's land for all time. "Alternative"
is a misnomer...
Old June 24th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

wrote:

The .alt arena has been a no-man's land for all time. "Alternative"
is a misnomer...

Many .alt groups are useful. I often visit alt.dbs.directv.

Bill