help: rockola 2000x problem

Old April 20th 07, 03:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected][_2_]

Default help: rockola 2000x problem

hey
i have a problem with a rockola 2000x cd juckbox

it plays the first cd fine but it won't take the cd off and play the
next cd.
also the reject button will not work
jeff

Old April 21st 07, 01:33 AM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

Jeff,

Off the cuff, I would say that you have a problem with the Mechanism Control PCB or associated components. Did you check the fuse on this board? Can you turn the gripper motor's rear armature shaft by hand? How do you get it back to home position to play the "first selection"?
Old April 21st 07, 04:32 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected][_2_]

--
DRebber

hi
it plays a single cd just fine
what it does is it will play a song or songs from the cd. then if you
hit the reject button on the back or wait for the song to end and go
to the next cd and it doesn't change the cd or og to the next one.
what you have to do is turn it off and back on.
what am i missing
jeff

Old April 22nd 07, 01:50 AM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

Jeff,

I'm trying to troubleshoot this problem from memory, so bear with me. One thing to check... make sure that switch 2 (or maybe it was 4) of the DIP switches located in the lower right corner of the Control Computer is turned to " Off ". I remember having an issue once, but I think it was that the first selection would not play, but all subsequent selections would.

On a Rock-Ola 2000 (and subsequent models), a power on reset of the Computer would make it home out the mechanism first. It did not matter what stage the mechanism was in when the power was disconnected. With that in mind, here is a list of things to check:

1. See if the gripper motor is still trying to run after placing the CD down on the player. Possible cause could be the cam switch for the main gripper shaft. It has one to tell the computer when it has released the CD onto the player and another when it has placed the CD back into the magazine. You can check this by trying to turn the gripper motor's armature shaft with your fingers. It will be a ~ 1/4" steel shaft protruding from the motor on the far end from the gear box. You should be able to move it in one direction, at least.

2. It also seems like I remember a blown fuse on the Mech Control board would cause this.... BUT, I've slept a few times since we were operating these. And, again, there is a relay on that board that reverses the polarity of the +24VDC to the motor when it is ready to put the CD back into the magazine. I don't recall which of the two relays on the Mech Control PCB it is from memory, but I think it is the larger of the two. Look for "smoke-like" deposits under the plastic cover of the relay.

3. Connections at P2 of the Control Computer and both connectors on the Mechanism Control PCB may be poorly connected or tarnished. Clean them with an eraser if they appear dull or discolored. Go ahead and check every edge connector you can find to make sure it is properly seated.

4. With the power turned off, remove U22 of the Control Computer and "ground" all its legs together on a shiny metal surface. Re-install making sure the notch in the IC case is pointed up. This is the battery backup RAM for the computer and holds the selections queue in memory. Maybe it has been corrupted and needs to be reset...(?).

5. This genre of Rock-Ola jukes was somewhat sensitive to power. Make sure that the outlet it is plugged in to has a good third wire ground and that it is properly phased.

6. Last of all, give it a rest, have a cold one, wait till Monday when I'm back at the office with my info and we can troubleshoot it some more with better intel.

However, I hope you are able to get it playing and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Old April 23rd 07, 04:54 PM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

Jeff,

I sent you an email using your profile name (chips4sle at aol.com) with the schematic of the Mech Control PCB attached. Let me know if you did not receive it.
Old April 24th 07, 03:17 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken G.

Default Rockola 490 how to run computer

Ok the amp is # 52280-A . I went in and rewired the speaker system and
now it sounds great . Nice deep bass and no more out of phase sound .

I also figured out how to set it for constant random play .

It still hums when the needle is in quiet spots on records . I will
replace the motor gromets with newer gell types ... otherwise it plays
great .

I replaced all those little blinking bulbs with the correct colored
LED`s and resistors . Actually this somewhat ugly jukebox looks real
nice when lit up right .

Thanks for te helps !

Rockola 2000X tmcderm653 Juke Boxes 2 January 10th 11 06:26 PM
rockola 2000x jukeboxguy514 Juke Boxes 1 December 5th 06 07:34 PM
Rockola 473 problem Laamaman Juke Boxes 1 June 5th 05 08:45 PM
Rockola problem mozart45 Juke Boxes 3 May 6th 05 09:15 PM
Rockola 468 problem gary smith Juke Boxes 3 March 15th 05 03:04 PM