France postmarks

Old May 1st 10, 11:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Default France postmarks

I have a pair of 1941 Petain stamps with a Lamartine Somme postmark. I
can find no Lamartine in Somme department, but extensive Google checks
have produced the info. that there is a Rue Lamartine in Amiens.The
strikes of the postmark is uneven and Amiens would fit in the unstruck
part - maybe. A long shot but does anyone know if there is or was a
sub-post office there. I have used both "fallingrain" and
"l'internaute - villes" sites to try to find a town and in my
experience one or other almost always deliver.

The second is a bit easier I think. I am looking for a site on the net
which lists the sub post offices of the various Paris arondissements.
I have a stamp postmarked in Paris VIII with the letters of the office
"chopped off". I could not possibly guess at the letters, but given a
list of possibilities I am certain that I could marry up the bits I
can see with the right office. It is R(ue) La (B P orR)xxxxE.

Any inspired guesses please?

Malcolm

Old May 1st 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Forget the second question. Viewing "ptt" on "pages jaune" brings up a
post office outlet at Rue La Boetie. As my stamps are relatively
recent (1961) and the letters fit the fragments visible that is near
enough for me.

Unfortunately there is no listing for lamartine in Amiens. However it
occurs to me that Lamartine could be a district around Rue Lamartine
and the post office may be ( have been ) on a completely different
road. I fear that without a definite "Amiens" visible on the postmark
this is a lost cause.

I think that not even Blair can solve this one.

Malcolm

Old May 2nd 10, 08:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

malcolm a écrit :
I have a pair of 1941 Petain stamps with a Lamartine Somme postmark. I
can find no Lamartine in Somme department, but extensive Google checks
have produced the info. that there is a Rue Lamartine in Amiens.The
strikes of the postmark is uneven and Amiens would fit in the unstruck
part - maybe. A long shot but does anyone know if there is or was a
sub-post office there.

I can confirm the existence of a post office AMIENS / R. LAMARTINE
(Lamartine street). It became AMIENS / LAMARTINE around 1926.

Regards,

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Old May 3rd 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

bc92 a écrit :
malcolm a écrit :
I have a pair of 1941 Petain stamps with a Lamartine Somme postmark. I
can find no Lamartine in Somme department, but extensive Google checks
have produced the info. that there is a Rue Lamartine in Amiens.The
strikes of the postmark is uneven and Amiens would fit in the unstruck
part - maybe. A long shot but does anyone know if there is or was a
sub-post office there.

I can confirm the existence of a post office AMIENS / R. LAMARTINE (Lamartine
street). It became AMIENS / LAMARTINE around 1926.

Sorry, it seems your postmark reads AMIENS LAMARTINE / SOMME. I was
reffering to a mechanical pm, yours is probably a manual pm. That
doesn't change the result, anyway.

Regards,

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Old May 4th 10, 09:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Bruno

Yes it is a handstamp - portions of 2 strikes to be exact - possibly
from a packet rather than a letter - unfortunately as it is an off-
paper pair I cannot be sure. Judging by how common the stamps are
generally I am assuming that 1F50 was the normal letter rate at the
time so this was at least double rate ( there may have been other
stamps of other denominations present on the original package).

Incidentally where did you find your information ? While my spoken and
written French after 40+ years since leaving school is pretty poor - I
can read it fairly well if it is in front of me and I have plenty of
time to work it out !! - so I can probably navigate a French website
OK

Thanks for your help yet again.

Malcolm

Old May 4th 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On May 1, 6:58*pm, malcolm wrote:
Forget the second question. Viewing "ptt" on "pages jaune" brings up a
post office outlet at Rue La Boetie. As my stamps are relatively
recent (1961) and the letters fit the fragments visible that is near
enough for me.

Unfortunately there is no listing for lamartine in Amiens. However it
occurs to me that Lamartine could be a district around Rue Lamartine
and the post office may be ( have been ) on a completely different
road. I fear that without a definite "Amiens" visible on the postmark
this is a lost cause.

I think that not even Blair can solve this one.

Malcolm

Well, I concur, as my home computer is down and being replaced.
It appears the answers were supplied in my absence.

I had found Rue (de) La Boetie.

Blair

Old May 5th 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

malcolm a écrit :

Incidentally where did you find your information ? While my spoken and
written French after 40+ years since leaving school is pretty poor - I
can read it fairly well if it is in front of me and I have plenty of
time to work it out !! - so I can probably navigate a French website
OK

Malcolm, as far as I know there isn't any website with listings of
french PO except for the 1852-1876 period - but you won't normally find
a CDS on a stamp in that period - and the present time with the french
postal admin website (www.laposte.fr).

So books and books. Mine is a mechanical cancels catalog (Dreyfuss,
oblitérations mécaniques), I believe there is a book by Pothion which
is more general (nomenclature des bureaux de poste, list of post
offices).

Best regards,

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Old May 6th 10, 08:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

Sir F. A. Rien suggested :

Bruno,

Have a look at the Victorian towns ID on philately.ttrr.org

IF you choose to do something like this with the French cancel listings,
I'll help you with the code. It's a bit clunky to maintain, but for the user
it works well!

Hell, I am not retired yet, so please forgive me for not considering
seriously such a project. (I am sure Pierre would/will enjoy the
challenge, in french we say "pass the hot potato to the next one") ;-)

And, I say, this search tool is an excellent achievement, by all means.

Regards,

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Old May 10th 10, 01:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Bruno

As an aside l'internaute/ville has let me down !

I have a part postmark "thibery". I duly used the site to try to
identify it as a part strike. Nothing. In desperation I used Google -
to find 34630 Saint Thibery - large as life.

I tried almost every string of letters and none of the results with
shorter sequences actually produced the above - although with the
short strings many other options were presented. Fortunately for
Google the "thibery" turned out to be a complete word -otherwise I
would have been lost.

Have you encountered this before - and do you advise using saint/
sainte in every search ( or le/la/l' too for that matter ) ?

Incidentally thanks for your help yet again. The level of knowledge
in this group, considering its relatively small size is awesome.

Malcolm
Old May 10th 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

malcolm wrote :
Bruno

As an aside l'internaute/ville has let me down !

I have a part postmark "thibery". I duly used the site to try to
identify it as a part strike. Nothing. In desperation I used Google -
to find 34630 Saint Thibery - large as life.

Malcolm, Linternaute works for my finding St-Thibery with eg "hibery".
I just tested it (??)

Best regards,

--
Cordialement,
Bruno

Postmarks. rodney General Discussion 5 September 11th 09 11:58 AM
postmarks vol 3 malcolm General Discussion 22 December 2nd 08 09:20 AM
France defs - 1955 allegory of "France" malcolm General Discussion 31 June 11th 08 07:25 AM
2 x 4 postmarks bubblegummom General Discussion 0 December 27th 06 07:51 PM
2 x 4 postmarks bubblegummom General Discussion 3 September 21st 06 08:33 PM