"Budget" auction needed at ANA convention

Old August 17th 04, 02:06 PM
Bruce Remick

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:49:14 -0500, Byron L. Reed
is alleged to have written:

On 16 Aug 2004 16:43:47 -0700, (Phil Barnhart)
wrote:

Can you imagine the response?

Sure, from the dealers.

BLReed

To e-mail me, remove the obvious spam trap.
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices:
http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things and Bust Coin Forum: http://www.byronreed.com

Dealers ought to have a positive reaction. Surely, they're holding

inventory in
that price range they'd like to move. This is NOT going to be a high

dollar
auction anyway, why not cut the buyer & seller fees way down? Anybody who

does
this will be doing it as charity, even with 20% buyer/seller fee they

wouldn't
make much money.

heck, set 'em both at $1.00. It not like we need a fancy catalog for this.

Bruce

I could see a budget auction ( and the budget section) at an ANA Convention
as an investment for dealers who would reap the benefits later when some low
budget collectors "mature" and return to spend bigger bucks at their tables
and in the Big Boys auctions. Otherwise, I imagine many modest budget
collectors feel ignored when the major shows and auctions seem to cater
mostly to the advanced collectors with lofty goals and lots of money to
spend.

Bruce

Old August 17th 04, 02:17 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:06:42 -0400, "Bruce Remick" is alleged
to have written:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Yup. We're discussing changing that. I'd LOVE to see an auction like my local
coin club had when i was a kid. I could buy lots of stuff there. i think we'd
see more kids at the shows if we did things like that.

Bruce

Old August 17th 04, 04:06 PM
J. A. M.

wrote:

Can you imagine the response?

Sure, from the dealers.

BLReed

To e-mail me, remove the obvious spam trap.
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices:
http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things and Bust Coin Forum: http://www.byronreed.com

Dealers ought to have a positive reaction. Surely, they're holding inventory in
that price range they'd like to move. This is NOT going to be a high dollar
auction anyway, why not cut the buyer & seller fees way down? Anybody who does
this will be doing it as charity, even with 20% buyer/seller fee they wouldn't
make much money.

heck, set 'em both at $1.00. It not like we need a fancy catalog for this.

Bruce

I'm curious why a local auction company doesn't jump in and fill the void. In the Pittsburgh there are two or three auctions companies that work with local collectors and dealers.

I've been looking over the lots in the ANA auction. I don't think I'll take any home but I'm having fun and learning a lot by just looking. Some of the higher grade coins look better in the catalog than
they do in your hand.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/...tem=2262255921

The spots in the left of the obverse field is much more pronounced than the picture shows and the Deep Cameo isn't any better than the Cameos in the same box.

JAM
Old August 17th 04, 07:28 PM
John Stone

wrote:

[...]

I think it is workable. With a bare bones catalog you could keep
costs down. With a low auction rights fee from the ANA I think this
arrangement could make money.

If the ANA did a survey about this I'll bet it would get a very large
"yes"
response.
Old August 18th 04, 12:02 PM
note.boy

A UK auction house, I forget which one, has auctions of lower value
coins called "Argentum" auctions, I think, they have proved to be very
popular.

I suppose they reckon that "Argentum" auction sound better than "cheap
coins" auction. :-) Billy