Saudi Arabia - Secours Guerche

Old October 30th 04, 12:40 AM
TC Blair

"amesh \(Mette\)" wrote in message ...
In yesterday's lot with the Egyptian overprints I have also found these four
items from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They all seem different in design,
size and colour, and all have the mention of "Secours Guerche" or simply
"Guerche". The word "secours" would indicate aid of some kind, but
"Guerche" ...? They all seem to have a face value that resembles to our way
of writing 1/8 (but probably says something different). They are all used,
and the perforation is exactly what you see -- rather poor and uneven. Does
anyone know what they are?

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/SaudA...ursGuerche.jpg

Mette:

Saudi Postal tax (scott RA numbers at end of saudi listings).
There are many perf and colour varieties.
most worth 20 us cents used (minimum value)

Blair
Old October 30th 04, 12:48 AM
TC Blair

"amesh \(Mette\)" wrote in message ...
In yesterday's lot with the Egyptian overprints I have also found these four
items from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They all seem different in design,
size and colour, and all have the mention of "Secours Guerche" or simply
"Guerche". The word "secours" would indicate aid of some kind, but
"Guerche" ...? They all seem to have a face value that resembles to our way
of writing 1/8 (but probably says something different). They are all used,
and the perforation is exactly what you see -- rather poor and uneven. Does
anyone know what they are?

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/SaudA...ursGuerche.jpg

addendum

guerche = saudi money

1918 40 paras = 1 piastre = 1 guerche (about 1d sterling)
1931 110`guerche = 1 sovreign
1951 440 guerche = 1 sovreign
1960 20 piastres = 20 guerche = 1 rial
1976 100 halalas = 1 rial

Blair
Old October 30th 04, 06:32 PM
A.E. Gelat

Guerrche was the local spoken pronunciation of kirsh, ( compare to kurus of
Turkey). Europeans called it piastre or piaster. In 1898, the newly
introduced Egyptian currency had 1000 milliemes = 1 Egyptian pound,
equivalent to 1.05 British pounds. Ten milliemes were called a kirsh
(piaster), although no coin had that name. But with the recent slow
devaluation of the Egyptian pound, the millieme became worthless, so the
smaller unit reverted to the kirsh, thus 100 kirsh = 1 pound.

Tony

m...

Old November 3rd 04, 05:39 PM
Luciano Evaristo Guerche

"amesh \(Mette\)" wrote in message ...
In yesterday's lot with the Egyptian overprints I have also found these four
items from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They all seem different in design,
size and colour, and all have the mention of "Secours Guerche" or simply
"Guerche". The word "secours" would indicate aid of some kind, but
"Guerche" ...? They all seem to have a face value that resembles to our way
of writing 1/8 (but probably says something different). They are all used,
and the perforation is exactly what you see -- rather poor and uneven. Does
anyone know what they are?

http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/SaudA...ursGuerche.jpg

I am not a stamp collector, but really interested in knowing why would
stamps in Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Ethiopia be named after my surname.

--
Luciano Evaristo Guerche
Taboao da Serra, SP, Brazil

Old November 6th 04, 12:40 AM
A.E. Gelat

Luciano, I can only guess it is a coincidence, but then, if you could give
me your national origin (of your parents, grandparents, and further up) I
might be able to help.

The word kirsh is the name of the currency of Turkey. For a long time
Turkey controlled a large part of North Africa, most of the Arabian
Peninsula, and what is now Iraq. There are local pronunciations of the
word, guerche being one of the more common.

Tony

om...

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

Guerrche was the local spoken pronunciation of kirsh, ( compare to kurus

of
Turkey). Europeans called it piastre or piaster. In 1898, the newly
introduced Egyptian currency had 1000 milliemes = 1 Egyptian pound,
equivalent to 1.05 British pounds. Ten milliemes were called a kirsh
(piaster), although no coin had that name. But with the recent slow
devaluation of the Egyptian pound, the millieme became worthless, so the
smaller unit reverted to the kirsh, thus 100 kirsh = 1 pound.

Tony

m...

Old November 26th 04, 06:27 PM
Luciano Evaristo Guerche

Dear A.E. Gelat,

My forefathers came to Brazil from Austria and former Yugoslavia,
probably from Slovenia.

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

Guerrche was the local spoken pronunciation of kirsh, ( compare to kurus

of
Turkey). Europeans called it piastre or piaster. In 1898, the newly
introduced Egyptian currency had 1000 milliemes = 1 Egyptian pound,
equivalent to 1.05 British pounds. Ten milliemes were called a kirsh
(piaster), although no coin had that name. But with the recent slow
devaluation of the Egyptian pound, the millieme became worthless, so the
smaller unit reverted to the kirsh, thus 100 kirsh = 1 pound.

Tony

m...