Whatever happened to peelable stamp hinges?

Old November 8th 05, 03:16 PM
Eric Kenneth Bustad

Default Whatever happened to peelable stamp hinges?

In article ,
Colin McKenzie wrote:
John DeBoo wrote:
Blair (TC) wrote:
I guess that mounts and stockbooks
are the only viable alternative.

Which appears to be what the manufacturers want people to think.

When compared to the Dennis's hinges, yes. Besides, if they were the
exact same thing as the originals they'd have a green tint to them.
Dennis's are white. They only peeling Dennis's do is the paper from the
back of your stamp causing a mega thin at best, a hole at worst!

Not good news.

I think I'll see what's available in India when I go there next month.
If their motorbikes are anything to go by, I might get lucky.

Meanwhile, mounting my collection is on hold. I'm not happy.

Anyone remember if the old hinges had patent numbers on the packs? If
so the patents might reveal how to make decent hinges. I do remember
that the good Stanley Gibbons hinges had a spotty appearance.

If you can find the patent number, it may be possible to look it up.

But I suspect that the problem is with the availability of suitable
glassine paper these days. Subway/G&K doesn't make the paper, they
have to purchase it from paper manufacturers. And those manufacturers
probably don't see stamp hinges as being a large enough business to go
to the trouble of making the glassine paper just right for that
purpose.

--
= Eric Bustad, Norwegian bachelor programmer
Old November 8th 05, 07:59 PM
Tony Clayton

In a recent message Colin McKenzie wrote:

A few weeks ago, I finished my last pack of Stangib stamp hinges,
vintage probably mid-80s.

So I bought some new ones. They looked different from the old ones,
but I didn't worry about that - technology advances over time. All
went well, until I put a stamp in the wrong place and had to remove
it. The hinge was hard to remove, and took stamp fibres with it when
it did come off. So I tested another over a week, with the same
result. In 15 or 20 years, the product has changed from good to unusable.

I sent the hinges back to SG with a covering letter saying I don't
think they're fit for purpose. I await my refund.

Which sort of SG hinges were they? There are two types. One is meant
to be more peelable, and it is, but not that much.

I bought some Prinz mounts, tested them for a week, and found them
just as bad.

This appears to be a deliberate downgrading of the product to
something that cannot be used without damaging stamps (or soaking
them). I have seen it suggested that this is because
hinge-manufacturers also make plastic mounts, and want to promote the
more expensive product. I use plastic mounts for mint and more
valuable stamps, but I can't justify spending at least 2 pence on
mounting a stamp that may be worth considerably less.

You can always soak a hinge off a used stamp.

So, the question. Does anyone still make genuinely peelable stamp
hinges? Someone suggested Dennis's Hinges from Subway Stamps are the
best around, but are they good enough? And is there anything better
out there?

I still occasionally buy mounted mint stamps with the mount still on,
and when the mount is removed you can barely see where the hinge was.
That is the sort of hinge that is needed.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old November 9th 05, 04:35 PM
AK47

Colin McKenzie wrote in
:

John DeBoo wrote:
Blair (TC) wrote:
I guess that mounts and stockbooks
are the only viable alternative.

Which appears to be what the manufacturers want people to think.

When compared to the Dennis's hinges, yes. Besides, if they were the
exact same thing as the originals they'd have a green tint to them.
Dennis's are white. They only peeling Dennis's do is the paper from
the back of your stamp causing a mega thin at best, a hole at worst!

Not good news.

I think I'll see what's available in India when I go there next month.
If their motorbikes are anything to go by, I might get lucky.

Meanwhile, mounting my collection is on hold. I'm not happy.

Anyone remember if the old hinges had patent numbers on the packs? If
so the patents might reveal how to make decent hinges. I do remember
that the good Stanley Gibbons hinges had a spotty appearance.

Colin McKenzie

I remember some 70's era hinges that came in a green envelope containing
1750 hinges.They performed very well, but I can't rememebr the brand
name.
Old November 5th 10, 03:44 AM
ALBERT46 ALBERT46 is offline
Junior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Colin McKenzie wrote in
:

John DeBoo wrote:
Blair (TC) wrote:
[...]

The 1750 hinge pack you are referring to are called EASY MOUNT HINGES. They were made by Honor Bilt, which, as I remember, was the name used by HE Harris Stamp Company. They sold for 25 cents !! I found a pack on Ebay. They are terrific for smaller stamps.
I know everyone drools about the old Dennison hinges. They were excellent, but let me tell you, I found better AND CHEAPER old time hinges. They are SCOTT HINGES, manufactured by the original Scott Publishing Company. They show up on Ebay from time to time, and the price is much better.
No one manufactures good hinges anymore. G&K and Dennisen are the worst.
Andy Navarro