opion needed

Old March 11th 04, 05:22 PM
dahoov2

Default opion needed

Because of my honest nature, I am in a pickle and would like some
opinions (if you are gonna be snide, please try to refrain from
answering and just ignore please).

I sold some drawings on Ebay. Paid a total of 161.00 for the
drawings, shipping to me and shipping to the person. Plus listing fee
of course. Sold them for a grand total of 265.00.

When I listed the auction, I stated that I didn't know what they were,
the seller I bought them from told me not much and I included the
reciept and email from my purchase along with the drawings. I
answered no less than 10 emails from the person buying about size,
paper, sent larger high res scans and included all information about
where I went to authenticate etc... I did state three times in the
auction the items could be fakes as I didn't know. I said to the
winner in one email that I can't guarantee anything and was honest as
anyone could be but I could be losing money if they were real as
they'd be worth at least a grand if not a more. He said he didn't
mind taking the chance.

Anway, he got them and he said in 30 seconds he knew they were prints.
I emailed back saying they are on watercolor paper and I've never seen
prints in books on watercolor (he thinks they were clipped from a
book).

I feel bad. I don't want to be out all that money I paid though... but
I feel bad too. I consulted with my husband and he said you don't
know if the guy is lying to you and they are real and he just wants a
refund. He also stated he can resell them. But I don't think the guy
would do that. If they were real, I doubt he'd share the money with
me.... but yet I am compelled to refund. I guess I'll have to sleep
on it and see how much my conscience is bothered.

What would you guys do?
Old March 11th 04, 07:51 PM
Robert de Ridder

Well obvbiously you should never refund anything before you have the
drawings back in the original state they were.
If you didn't catch it as a print, it must have been one hell of a print
though.

"dahoov2" schreef in bericht

Old March 11th 04, 08:10 PM
dahoov2

I was thinking a partial refund of the extra money... so in other
words just the amount I profited from what I paid and he keeps the
drawings. He's not asking for a refund. But he was depressed..

He said he knows the process used to do them is probably
"photomechanical". I don't know what that is, but sounds similar to
an autopen machine. He said that would explain the smallness of them
and how come they looked real to me. This is good for the group to
know as if they are buying any sort of artwork, it'd be good to know
about that!

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:51:29 +0100, "Robert de Ridder"
wrote:

Well obvbiously you should never refund anything before you have the
drawings back in the original state they were.
If you didn't catch it as a print, it must have been one hell of a print
though.

"dahoov2" schreef in bericht
.. .

Old March 11th 04, 09:51 PM
Bcoton

I sympathize with you, I do.

But I don't sympathize with this guy. Maybe I am hard but anytime you are
spending your money on ebay, it is a gamble. That's why I always say do not
bet more than you are prepared to lose.

As far as I am concerned you answered this guys questions to the best of your
ability and made it clear you weren't an expert. It sounds perfectly clear in
the listing.

The only problem I see is if you had a return policy. The item was not being
sold as authentic therefore authenticity (sorry for the auto terms) is not a
reason for total refund. The only valid reason would be damaged merchandise.

The contract was to deliver the paintings. Period. Which you did. It never
guaranteed authenticity. Now many times in the auto world people say "I got
this from my grandparents, she sent away for it in the mail and it looks
authentic but I am not sure and am not selling it as such." It is up to the
buyer to judge whether it is worth the purchase. (and quite frankly sometimes I
would rather buy from someone honest like that and take my chances than from
someone who swears by a COA)

I would explain this to him and see how he responds. It then gets into how much
of a big deal he wants to make of it...I guarantee you it would lose in ebay
arbitration though.
Old March 11th 04, 10:09 PM
dahoov2

Thanks. I didn't say anything about a return policy. I wrapped the
items in acid free paper, wrapped that in bubble wrap and then put two
flat pices of styrofoam on either side as thick as the priority box so
they couldn't be crushed. I paid for most of the shipping...He won it
at 263.19 and rounded up to 265.00 and I paid 8.05 for the shipping
and insurance because he won them at a fairly high price. So I was
more than fair...

Still, I feel bad. So may send a partial refund. If I do, hope he
considers that. I had a crappy day. Someone egged my Mustang...
sheesh. I feel like that girl that got hit in the knees by Tonya
Harding... i wanna say WHY????

Old March 11th 04, 10:16 PM
Robert de Ridder

This is all very well, but you have no way of knowing that's true.
And even if it's true, he was well aware of the risk. I doubt he would have
told you if he made a bundle out of them.

I got a partial explanation of the proces for photo-mechanical reproduction
he
http://www.lib.udel.edu/ud/spec/exhi...or/natures.htm

"dahoov2" schreef in bericht

Old March 11th 04, 10:29 PM
dahoov2

Thanks so much for that link! So, they could be old still and they
MAY have some value. Let me look into that first... I hear etchings
and lithos and other processes can have some value... he might not be
in dire straights after all.

I appreciate it much!

Old March 11th 04, 11:42 PM
Gummby3

You did more than a lot of sellers do just by stating in the beginning that
you were not sure if they were real or not. Just by doing that, you've
cleared yourself of misrepresentation on any level. You also went above and
beyond by responding to each email that was sent asking about the items.
The winner stated that he/she was willing to accept the chances. In my
opinion, you have no reason to do any sort of refund at all. I wouldn't
lose any sleep on it. The winner accepted the items as being most likely
reprints and you enforced that in your listing. As far as I would be
concerned, the transaction is a done deal and fnalized.

--

Mike
Gummby3

~~ Star Collector ~~
www.star-collector.net
Autograph Authentication Guide
www.star-collector.net/authenticationguide.htm

"dahoov2" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old March 12th 04, 03:20 AM
Wanda

Sue -
This is too easy, and you are too nice. You were 1000% honest with him in
your description of the item. If it turns out he doesn't like it, that
becomes his problem. Consider this ... if it turned out to be worth waaaay
more than he paid for it, would he decide to give you a "partial rebate"
because you didn't know what you sold. I think not .... therefore, you are
under no obligation for anything in this case.
Just my 2 cents worth of course, but again, I give a money back guarantee if
my 2 cents worth turns out to be worth less than that.

Peace,
Wanda

Old March 12th 04, 04:00 AM
Mr Black

If he said he is willing to take a chance...end of story.
He took the chance that it might have been worth a huge amount of money, and
it is not. So too bad.
You have done nothing wrong, I would not consider a refund.
Its like if i buy a pack of cards, and take a chance on gertting a high end
insert, and I dont get an insert, should i be given a refund?

MrB

---

Peter Benchley Address needed Bcoton Autographs 0 February 8th 04 01:54 AM
sports address help needed please! S0CREF Autographs 4 January 23rd 04 07:09 AM
Bel Geddes - RTRN/address needed Bcoton Autographs 0 January 20th 04 09:16 PM
Help Needed J Smith Autographs 1 November 22nd 03 05:54 AM
Film set addresses - Help needed Matt Thomas Autographs 3 November 20th 03 05:08 AM