auction adventure

Old September 11th 04, 09:37 PM
Harold Fears

Default auction adventure

All,

The Heritage 2004 September (HWCA) Signature auction has just finished and
featured several nice coins from the Professor Wayne Newton Palmer
Collection. As some might guess, his collection included several rarities
from the Island of Jersey, an interest of mine. Below is a short
description of my internet bids for these numismatic delicacies.

The first lot (14150) was for a very nice toned 1813 XF/AU eighteen pence
token. There were 5 internet bids to $80 along with 4 live bids for a total
of $110. The final with the premium was $126. Since I already have a few
of these I decided not to seriously go after this coin with a bid of only
$70. This is in my opinion is a very good deal and I am sure the winner is
very happy with this lovely coin.

The next lot (14151) was for a choice red and brown proof 1/48 of a shilling
1877. This is one of the four coins that really caught my eye. There were
3 internet bids with mine being the highest at $250. No other bids were
entered and I acquired this one at a final cost of $287.50

Lot 14152, a red and brown proof 1/24 shilling 1877, had 4 internet bids
with me having the maximum bid of $75. However 11 live bids drove the price
to $170 with a final cost of $184. Since this coin had a carbon spot along
with a cut on the obverse along with the fact that I already own a nicer
example, I let this get away.

The final coin in the 1877 proof set, a proof penny or lot 14153, had 7
internet bids with me having the highest at $260. Unfortunately, one live
bidder acquired this one for $275. The final cost was $316.25. I really
didn't like the picture of this coin, but I did want it.

The rarest coin in this collection, an 1865 1/13 proof only issue, was lot
14154. With only 5 internet bids, I had the highest bid of $675. However,
someone either faxed or called in a bid in of at least $700. This winning
bid of $700 had a premium of $105, thus a total of $805. If I didn't have
to pay for a kid at the University of Alabama, along with two more to go
there .

Lot 14155 was for a proof 1/13 1866 shilling with handling marks on both
sides. My bid of $120 was the highest of the 3 internet bids. I was
uncomfortable with the description, and my bid reflects it. However, the 8
live bids drove the coin to $160 at a final cost of $184.

A duplicate of mine, an 1870 1/13 proof with minor surface marks had similar
results. My max bid was $105 and beat 3 other internet bidders, but with 8
live bids the coin went for $180 or a final cost $207.

And finally, the last coin of interest to me was an 1871 proof 1/13. For
lot 14157, I had the highest bid of $350 of the 3 internet bidders. Nine
live bidders finally drove the price up to $340, which made my final price
be $391. This appears to be a very nice example, and was featured by
Heritage in their email.

To summarize, I am disappointed that I didn't acquire the 1865 1/13, but I
am please that I was able to acquire the 1871 proof. Along with the 1877
farthing (1/48 of a shilling) I won, I believe I had a successful
experience.

Harold

Old September 11th 04, 10:17 PM
Ian

Harold Fears wrote:

[...]

Firstly, well done on your acquisitions. There's a few good curries
worth of coin you bought!

I must confess, i'm truly fascinated by your fascination for Jersey coinage.

Of all the places you could have picked to collect coins from, why
Jersey Harold? What was the trigger? What is the underlying attaction
(if any)?

Ian

Old September 13th 04, 02:56 AM
Harold Fears

Ian,
I collect Jersey coins for a variety of reasons. In a nutshell they
1) Jersey has some very unusual denominations
2) Although Jersey coins are typically hard to find especially in top
grades, they are very inexpensive compare to other series of coins
3) There is still plenty of room for some original research in this branch
of numismatics.

Harold