Bypass the middleman?

Old October 31st 03, 07:36 AM
Joe Gugliemino

Default Bypass the middleman?

I'm starting my daughter on collecting world coins, because she thinks
they look neat and because it will involve her in learning about the
world. We've bought a few small lots from people on Ebay. That was OK
initially, but it seems to be relatively expensive given the quality of
the coins we got. When I was a kid we used to go to the bank and buy
rolls of coins to search, and I was thinking I'd like to do something
similar with my daughter. I've seen auctions on ebay for bulk coins
collected by the Bundesbank as part of their Euro conversion:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=54 4&rd=1

The seller mentions that full bags are available and I asked them about
it. He wants $130/bag, delivered from Germany. While that may or may
not be a good price, I figure that he's ordering them from somewhere and
that I could save a non-trivial amount by ordering directly. I surfed
the web and the Bundesbank web site looking for a place to order, but
came up dry. Does anybody have information on where I could order directly?

The same seller also offers bulk paper money:

Again, I am wondering if anybody out there has a direct line to the
supplier that I could use to buy direct.

We'd be using these purchases to put together a survey-style collection.
If/when my daughter develops specific interests I could see us
targeting individual coin auctions to build the collection in that area.

- Joe

(To respond directly, remove the 'deleteme' from my address)

Old October 31st 03, 01:27 PM
Dale Hallmark

"Joe Gugliemino" wrote in message
[...]

I have wondered the same myself.
Looking forward to an answer if you get one.

Dale

Old October 31st 03, 03:00 PM
George D

Joe Gugliemino wrote:
[...]

I would contact your local dealer. The one I go to has bags of world coins for $?? per
pound in 5 or 10 lb bags. I can assure you there are on Silver crowns or gold coins but
there is a good assortment of stuff.

Here in AZ it will probably be 50%+ mexican as we are so close to the border but there is
still a good assortment.

The dealers get them when they buy a collection from whomever and after going thru the
good stuff it goes in the junk box or in the per pound bag.

Sometimes they will also have some reasonably priced bigger, better stuff to sell too.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

"A Native American grandfather was talking to his grandson about how he
felt. He said, I feel as if I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One
wolf is the vengeful, angry, violent one. The other wolf is the loving,
compassionate one. The grandson asked him, Which wolf will win the
fight in your heart? The grandfather answered, The one I feed."

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.