Proof IHC Question

Old October 29th 03, 04:13 PM
Lyntoy1

Default Proof IHC Question

So yesterday, I am in the official Middle-of-Nowhere, when I run across a house
that doubles as a coin shop. Who can resist? In the middle of AG Walkers and VF
Washingtons the fellow has a PCGS 1872 IHC PR65RB! The coin is a nice mellowed
orange with a slightly shinier area around the date. The reverse, though, is a
classic RB tone with electric blue fields under the upper devices. It is quite
remarkable to see. Is this normal? Is it desirable on copper? Especially proof
copper?
Let me state that I have NO business owning this coin! He has it at $1350, and
will move down on price. (Darn right!) One sold in Long Beach in this grade for
$2100 according to Heritage. Tempting, tempting. Heck, I haven't gotten my butt
kicked on a coin deal in a year or so and I am not right if I don't lose a
bunch of green once in a while. What do you think?
Mike
Itchin' to gamble

Old October 29th 03, 04:31 PM
The Fausts

"Lyntoy1" wrote in message
[...]

PCGS lists it at $1,250, and their numbers tend to be inflated. Unless you
can find several other instances where this coin has gone for bigger prices
recently, I'd assume his price is not a bargain.

However, beautiful toning can strongly increase prices on Indians, so maybe
it is a bargain. Depends on the toning! Just a thought: if you're good with
the camera, maybe he'd let you take a pic and post it for one of the experts
(Rick Snow, ideally!) here to give you an opinion?

I'd be tempted by a nice '72 too, that's a tough date!

Eric

Old October 29th 03, 04:57 PM
Lyntoy1

I'd be tempted by a nice '72 too, that's a tough date!

Yes, it is. But this is strictly speculation on my part driven only by that
most noble of sentiments: Greed. I am a fallen soul. But what a pretty coin. I
could keep it. The voices in my head- what to do?
Doncha hate it when you get the wants for something like this? I'd better let
it go. This is not my area of expertise, but then nothing is...
Mike
Old October 29th 03, 05:54 PM
Coin Saver

I am not right if I don't lose a
bunch of green once in a while. What do you think?
Mike
Itchin' to gamble

Hear dem bones a rattlin - baby needs a new pair of shoes!

8-/
Coin Saver
Old October 29th 03, 06:08 PM
Lyntoy1

Hear dem bones a rattlin - baby needs a new pair of shoes!

LOL! No, no. Its more like daddy needs his head examined!
Mike
Spiraling eyes
Old October 30th 03, 12:32 AM
Steven Preston

Electric blue toning is, if not common, then certainly not scarce on
earlier IHC proofs as many of them served time in an album or drawer
that led to them toning. As for desrability, that's subjective as some
people like toning and others don't but those that do pay a healthy
premium for it. If it's got good eye appeal, see if you can get him down
to $ 1,100 (or as close as you can) and go for it- easy to say since
it's not my money but it's a much better date, will "always" be popular
and coins with good eye appeal retain their value and usually increase
in value (plus it's in the "right" plastic). Put t this way, if the
price were $1,100 or so and I didn't just blow $$$ on a Flowing Hair
half, I might well be tempted to settle the issue for you. Good luck.

-Steve

Old October 30th 03, 12:59 AM
Lyntoy1

Steve-
Thanks for the advice! My gut says you are right. I'll take a chance and wait
for a week or two and go back to see it one more time. I have hallucinated
regarding the beauty of coins (and women) before, and do not want to get
another case of buyers regrets (in either case). I'll let you know what
happens.
Thanks again- Mike
Old October 30th 03, 01:00 AM
Lyntoy1

Steve-
Also, congrats on the half! Now those are coins that I purchase for beauty!
Mike
Old October 30th 03, 06:34 PM
Richard Snow

I have one I'll sell for $1,100.

http://www.indiancent.com/market/72p65rbp.jpg

Rick Snow
www.indiancent.com

Old October 30th 03, 06:38 PM
Richard Snow

Actually, the pretty blue toned coins get big premiums, but there is no real
guide to how much. All dates before 1878 DO NOT normally come with purple
toning (as was stated here). So it is unusual on a 1872, most come streaky
red-brownish with medium mirrors.

Rick