From President Kennedy's unspoken speech

Old November 22nd 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

Default From President Kennedy's unspoken speech

It has been 47 years tomorrow since President Kennedy was
assassinated.
Given all the heated political rants in this group, (and in the whole
nation) this excerpt from the speech President Kennedy was to have
given at the Dallas Trade Mart just a few minutes after he was shot is
particularly relevant:

::
Ignorance and misinformation can handicap the progress of a city or a
company, but they can, if allowed to prevail in foreign policy,
handicap this country's security. In a world of complex and continuing
problems, in a world full of frustrations and irritations, America's
leadership must be guided by the lights of learning and reason or else
those who confuse rhetoric with reality and the plausible with the
possible will gain the popular ascendancy with their seemingly swift
and simple solutions to every world problem.

There will always be dissident voices heard in the land, expressing
opposition without alternatives, finding fault but never favor,
perceiving gloom on every side and seeking influence without
responsibility. Those voices are inevitable.

But today other voices are heard in the land -- voices preaching
doctrines wholly unrelated to reality, wholly unsuited to the sixties,
doctrines which apparently assume that words will suffice without
weapons, that vituperation is as good as victory and that peace is a
sign of weakness. At a time when the national debt is steadily being
reduced in terms of its burden on our economy, they see that debt as
the greatest single threat to our security. At a time when we are
steadily reducing the number of Federal employees serving every
thousand citizens, they fear those supposed hordes of civil servants
far more than the actual hordes of opposing armies.

We cannot expect that everyone, to use the phrase of a decade ago,
will "talk sense to the American people." But we can hope that fewer
people will listen to nonsense. And the notion that this Nation is
headed for defeat through deficit, or that strength is but a matter of
slogans, is nothing but just plain nonsense.

::

http://smu.edu/smunews/jfk/speechtext.asp

Old November 22nd 10, 06:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

II saw a clip of a JFK press conference on TV today that could have
been taken from today's headlines

REPORTER: Mr. President, do you have any comment about the Republican
National Committee voting you the most failed president in American
history?

KENNEDY (smiling): I'm sure it was a unanimous vote!
Old November 24th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Chas Edwards

On Nov 21, 10:58*pm, Frank Provasek wrote:
[...]

Relevancy to coin collecting? None.

If people like Frank Provasek did not post political rants this would
be a much better forum. I do not care which side is posting, post it
elsewhere!

Money as Speech Mike Marotta Coins 0 January 22nd 09 04:06 PM
President of Coke wrote to President Eisenhower to suggest a 7 1/2 cent coin [email protected][_2_] Coins 0 May 12th 07 01:04 PM
McMurtry's Oscar speech William M. Klimon Books 7 March 7th 06 04:01 PM
Speech recognition Rodney General Discussion 2 February 15th 05 02:30 PM
John F. Kennedy 35th President Medal Starshyne Coins 2 October 16th 04 04:36 PM