Primo Levi, If This Is A Man

Old November 5th 12, 02:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Primo Levi, If This Is A Man

Orion Press, New York, 1959, first printing in English; vg in vg- dust
jacket (one small tear). About a week ago, I bought this book at a used
goods store. But I only checked it out online this evening. Was I
surprised. Asking prices greatly exceeded expectations.

Francis A. Miniter
Old November 5th 12, 03:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

Do you ever resell, Francis? I only seems to read posts about goodies
added to your collection...
Old November 6th 12, 04:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 11/5/2012 9:34 AM, J wrote:
Do you ever resell, Francis? I only seems to read posts about goodies
added to your collection...

I have not been selling, but I am thinking about doing so. I am
reaching retirement age and I have the example of my mother, a book
collector as well who, in retirement, quoted regularly to dealers who
listed requests on AB Bookman. The internet makes selling much easier
now and just the other day I was thinking I should look up the procedure
for listing books with ABE. I must admit that I have been fortunate in
my finds. Connecticut is a very good place for books, with all the New
York publishers who have made their homes here and NY dealers who did
the same, not to mention the plethora of colleges and universities.

I must admit to a not minor tug in the direction of keeping the books.
And when I feel that, I reflect on the mischievous novel _Possession_ by
A. S. Byatt, which explores the psychological aspects of the desire to
possess things. And I know that I cannot find duplicates of all my best
books so that I can sell and keep it too. But I am reasonably certain
that reality will prevail, and I will find myself in the position of the
elderly Portuguese book collector in Arturo Perez-Reverte's novel _The
Club Dumas_ , who book by book has to part with his collection to
maintain himself in hard times.

Francis A. Miniter

Old November 8th 12, 03:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jean B.

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
On 11/5/2012 9:34 AM, J wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. Those sound like two books I should read. I am also
struggling with these issues. I love my books, have lots of good
ones, but I need money--and, frankly, space. I ask myself why I
need to have books that are not in my domain (or in my domainS)
and am trying to convince myself that if they are in areas that I
have not even started to shelve and care relatively little about,
I SHOULD be able to part with them.

Jean B.
Old November 13th 12, 05:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Willow Arune[_3_]

I have fretted over the same issue, until I came to a simple conclusion.

I love being surrounded by my books and yes, my partner and I have too many.. I did sell off several collections - the Foresters are now with the University of Texas, the theme collection with the Universities of Chicago and Illinois. With the remainder, perhaps several thousand, I decided simply not to worry. If my partner goes first, her books to her four daughters if wanted, if not to UNBC. If I go, my partner and her daughters can keep what they wish and the balance to UNBC. I do not need the money and would rather enjoy the lot as I presently do until my end...

I have so enjoyed my return to university that it seemed a good idea to simply pass them on to a library where they could be used and enjoyed. Perhaps they do not need signed copies, but why not?

Willow
Old November 14th 12, 04:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

On 11/12/2012 11:47 PM, Willow Arune wrote:
[...]

Hi Willow, a lot of (most?) university libraries have a rare book
collection. My alma mater, Trinity College in Hartford, does, and, of
course, Yale with its Beinecke Rare Book Library has a magnificent one -
translucent walls and all.

Francis A. Miniter

Old November 22nd 12, 03:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Nov 6, 10:01*am, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

I have not been selling, but I am thinking about doing so. *I am
reaching retirement age and I have the example of my mother, a book
collector as well who, in retirement, quoted regularly to dealers who
listed requests on AB Bookman. *The internet makes selling much easier
now and just the other day I was thinking I should look up the procedure
for listing books with ABE.

I've been practicing by selling off some of my excess CDs. For some
reason, I find that easier...
Old November 23rd 12, 02:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

wrote:

I have not been selling, but I am thinking about doing so. I am
reaching retirement age and I have the example of my mother, a book
collector as well who, in retirement, quoted regularly to dealers who
listed requests on AB Bookman. The internet makes selling much easier
now and just the other day I was thinking I should look up the procedure
for listing books with ABE.

I've been practicing by selling off some of my excess CDs. For some
reason, I find that easier...

CDs don't have first editions, do they?

It might be harder to bring yourself to sell off your vinyl records,
e.g., a 1965 copy of Alice's Restaurant?

Francis A. Miniter

Old November 25th 12, 02:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
J[_2_]

On Nov 22, 8:03*pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:

CDs don't have first editions, do they?

It might be harder to bring yourself to sell off your vinyl records,
e.g., a 1965 copy of Alice's Restaurant?

No, CDs do not have first editions in the same way books do, though
there are different "masterings" of the sound, some of which are
preferable to collectors. I was not very careful with my vinyl, so
none of it is fit to sell.