Interesting half finds today!

Old September 7th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
seeker

Default Interesting half finds today!

Went through a $500 box of halves today and did a little better than
the nothing last 3 boxes.
I found 15 silver coins. The best find was a 1970 D in AU condition! It
was funny finding it because the edge is nearly pure white like a 90%
silver coin. Then I looked at it and saw a D instead of an S, which I
alway think S as being proof. Anyway, it hit me and I am happy.
The box had two other interesting finds one is a 1967 CA in AU
condition, definitely a proof as its all shiny. The last interesting
coin in the box was a 1971 that has 1960 stamped above In God and 1980
stamped above We Trust. It does have a gold tint. It is in AU condition
except it does have marks on the reverse do to the stamping of the
dates on the obverse. I looked on the web and found similar coins for
1983, that were suppositly 24 k gold plated or something. Any info
would be help full.

Thanks,

Seeker

Old September 8th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
seeker

Well I went through the box coin by coin, and came up with a 1987 S,
1987 D, 1977 S, 1972 S. ( What was the odds of finding a 1970 D and the
two 1987's in one box? ) Also, about 3 more what looks to be gold
plated coins, but without the stamp.
Some where I read that plated coins actually lower the value of the
coin. Something like the amount of gold is less then a 10th that would
fit on a pin head or something to that fact. Does anyone out there
collect gold plated coins? Do you think I should even bother to keep
them?

Seeker.

Old September 8th 06, 12:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

"seeker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well I went through the box coin by coin, and came up with a 1987 S,
1987 D, 1977 S, 1972 S. ( What was the odds of finding a 1970 D and the
two 1987's in one box? ) Also, about 3 more what looks to be gold
plated coins, but without the stamp.
Some where I read that plated coins actually lower the value of the
coin. Something like the amount of gold is less then a 10th that would
fit on a pin head or something to that fact. Does anyone out there
collect gold plated coins? Do you think I should even bother to keep
them?

Seeker.

Those gold plated ones should go next to a velvet Elvis painting.
Do you look for doubled dies or varieties? Those types of things are what ye
be wantin to find on top of the silver.
I have never found either a '70 or any '87's--so I'm jealous ;-)

Old September 8th 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

seeker wrote:
.. . .
The box had two other interesting finds one is a 1967 CA in AU
condition, definitely a proof as its all shiny. . . .

The Mint didn't make proof sets in 1967. Instead they made "Special
Mint Sets" and the quality was somewhere between regular strikes and
proof strikes.

You're definitely luckier than most. Last time I got two boxes of
halves to search, and they were all 1997-P uncirculated!

Thanks,

Seeker