Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

Old November 2nd 14, 07:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Opinions on ATB 5 oz. coins?

And BTW, the Red Book still establishes what it accepted into the standard United Stares numismatic "canon". An item not being in the Red Book is the kiss of death. Nobody was suggesting using it for anything but the roughest pricing purposes.

However, today's U.S. Coin market has broken down to such a degree that using the Red Book is less inaccurate than when the market was still good.

Oly
Old November 2nd 14, 09:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Oh no, your posts need those long words so they can exhibit the lengthy pomposity which you always exude here.

And you've got to keep making those short and less than accurate answers to the original question, BEFORE you twist the topic to something else that wasn't asked.

Carry on. I keep several dictionaries close at hand.

Oly
Old November 2nd 14, 09:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Something really bad happen to you in 1993? Not that I'm offering any condolences or anything.

I know some people who lost significant money in the bond market around mid-year 1993 (what had been a steadily falling interest rate environment plateaued for a while and their bets went bad), but I doubt you were involved in that.

I have nothing but books and some coins around this joint. Always gonna have books to refer to, I'm that kind of dinosaur.

Dictionaries may be useful for attempting to figure out your crotch-cheese line of drivel...

Oly
Old November 3rd 14, 01:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

I'll write long this time. My bad.

Me, I'm working from a personal point of reference in 1977 - 1981. Books are essential, dictionaries are essential (and encyclopedias too - I have a 1911 edition of Encyclopaedia Britannica next to this desk at this moment).. But Apple and Dell have sold me some useful machines too.

I did encounter some of the very earliest computer "touch screens" at Champaign-Urbana in 1977-1978. They had a popular Star Trek Game that us undergraduates weren't typically allowed to access. CERL at the University of Illinois was a very very big deal and one of my assistant professors took me inside it once as a favor. That assistant professor knew what he was doing computer-wise and he was a Caucasian very seriously studying Mandarin Chinese as well - Lord knows what happened to him, but it was probably fantastic. We undergrads had some beginning Computer Science requirement, but I was hopeless at COBAL and FORTRAN and my IBM punch card programs never did work. Not even once.

Three business school guys in my dorm got hired by some early computer pioneer about 1980 to sell computers. They probably made a fortune if they stayed sober long enough. Once those guys started a charcoal fire on the roof of the dorm, so I'm not certain if they could stay sober that long, but they certainly charmed the dean of students into somehow NOT expelling them. They probably did really well at sales. To me at the time, I thought those guys were just going to be selling a bunch of toys.

September 1993 was just about the time of the bond market hiccup as I remember. Some banks made a lot of money, and some lost a lot of money. We got our information from newsprint and the Public Broadcasting's Nightly Business Report and WBBM news radio 78 in Chicago. Of course, there was cable TV. Computers were still only for word processing MOL. My office might have had a Bloomberg machine, but likely that was still in the future. Dial-up modems were still in the future too (but not by much). Late in '93, we went to France and then to Brazil. I don't exactly recall how those trips got arranged before computers. I went to the ANA Summer Seminar that earlier that year, and there was not a computer or cell phone to be seen. That Seminar was arranged by USPS, hand-filled applications and personal checks.

Happily, Today I function just fine with my books and various scraps of paper, even if I don't play well with others.

"Dead Tree" as a denigration - now how silly is that??? Information has been stored that way for about 600 years and books/ paper aren't going away anytime soon.

I didn't realize people still measured their personal worth according to how much goofy **** they know about computers. Or how early they had a connection to the Web. Today, computers are a throw-away commodity. The Internet actually seems to be regressing nowadays, not progressing. I'm certain that I must be part of the problem.

Oly
Old November 3rd 14, 02:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

On 11/2/2014 7:35 PM, wrote:
I did encounter some of the very earliest computer "touch screens" at
Champaign-Urbana in 1977-1978. They had a popular Star Trek Game
that us undergraduates weren't typically allowed to access.

Actually, undergraduates _were_ allowed to access games like =empire
and =trek at UIUC on PLATO at that time. But you did need an
account which granted such permission. Such accounts were quite
easy to get, at least for off hours use.

We undergrads had some beginning Computer Science requirement, but I
was hopeless at COBAL and FORTRAN and my IBM punch card programs
never did work. Not even once.

I'll just say that I'm more than familiar with those required courses at UIUC.
Credentials on request. While I'm certain they don't require FORTRAN courses
for business students any more, if you can't do online research and use
business software (including spreadsheets) well, one is going to find it hard
to graduate or survive in business.

I didn't realize people still measured their personal worth according
to how much goofy **** they know about computers.

You miss the point, almost certainly deliberately. What was exotic
in 1977 (like PLATO) or mass market in 1993 (like Usenet) doesn't
define reality today. The same is true of your claims of the Red
Book defining the collecting "canon." That was almost certainly true
in 1977, although the "Coin Dealer newsletter" had been around since
1963. The c. 1980 bubble market in coins and precious metals
changed that permanently.

Today, computers are a throw-away commodity.

So what? It's the information that matters, not the hardware.

The Internet actually seems to be regressing nowadays, not
progressing.

If you judge "the internet" by Usenet, I think you're right.
But the internet has moved on. Coin collectors and dealers have
moved on as well, whether you have or not.

--
Mike Benveniste --
(Clarification Required)

Old November 11th 14, 09:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Trevor

Thanks for the insights. This at least fits in with my collection of
Utah coins and stamps, and silver is hopefully nearing an inflection
point. Maybe it will be worth something by the time one of my kids
inherits it.