The psychology of buying coins

Old May 16th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default The psychology of buying coins

I notice that when I have 10 or 20 dollars in paypal I find coins I want in
a heartbeat.
Usually for a couple dollars more than I have.

When I have over a $100 in paypal (doesn't happen often) I am reluctant to
buy anything.
I find a nice coin and think...nah I don't really need that one....and pass
on many a nice coin
and think something will come along just around the corner I am sure that I
like much better.

I have also noticed this at coin shows. I see lots of stuff I want but
won't buy but
after a couple hours when I do make my first purchase the rest of the funds
are gone in short order
like a flood released. Then I return to my normal broke self.

Don't understand whay it works that way. Maybe I need a purchase plan and
stick to it.

Dale

Old May 16th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in
:

[...]

Purchase plans are boring!

Open the floodgates and let it pour! It's just money! So, you don't eat
lunch for a few weeks - you'll survive.

;-)

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
But rather, it’s to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a ride!!!'

Old May 16th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dale Hallmark wrote:
[...]

My mama told me, "Never go grocery shopping when you're hungry." I'm
sure there's a relationship with coin collecting in there someplace.
:-)

Before going to any coin show, make sure you've had your fix of impulse
buying and get it out of your system. Then prepare a list of exactly
what you want and stick to it. Deviating will only cause you grief.
If an item on your list isn't available, take great pains to avoid
substituting. If an item is priced higher than you were willing to
spend, don't buy it. If it's lower, don't spend the savings on
something else; save it for next time. My mama told me, "You'd better
shop around."

Conversely, the purchase plan be damned! Grab the cash and spend it
all frivilously on coins! After all, even though the money is gone,
you'll be able to see what you bought with it. And Cup O' Noodles
isn't that bad.

Jerry
Mama told me not to come.

Old May 19th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 16 May 2006 06:01:56 -0700, "Jerry Dennis"
wrote:

Dale Hallmark wrote:
[...]

Or intense excitement followed by a warm glow!!

If an item on your list isn't available, take great pains to avoid
substituting. If an item is priced higher than you were willing to
spend, don't buy it. If it's lower, don't spend the savings on
something else; save it for next time. My mama told me, "You'd better
shop around."

Conversely, the purchase plan be damned! Grab the cash and spend it
all frivilously on coins!

That's the spirit!!

After all, even though the money is gone,
you'll be able to see what you bought with it. And Cup O' Noodles
isn't that bad.

Jerry
Mama told me not to come.

Aram.