1959 Wheat cent: is there such a thing?

Old May 16th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 1959 Wheat cent: is there such a thing?

When I was growing up, I learned a lot about coins from a kid 3 doors
down from me who was much older. I remember he told me 3 things that
stood out:

#1) You could discern a date on a buffalo nickel by applying acid (and
you guys have conformed this is TRUE, all these years I thought it was
BS...)

#2) While rare, there were 1959 Wheat Pennies, and..

#3) They only made 1909 wheat pennies: the 1909 Indian head didn't
exist.

NOW, as far as #3 is concerned, I worked LIKE HELL to obtain a 1909
Indian head penny, going to various coin shops, comic book/coin
hybrids, etc. and I FINALLY FOUND ONE.

So... this was my "big day". I was going to PROVE to Jeff that he was
WRONG about something... I remember that day clearly. I was in my
backyard (I lived on the corner house, so the sidewalk beside my yard
got a lot of traffic). And I remember Jeff and one of his friends were
riding thier bikes by in the street. I started screaming 'JEFF!!!
JEFF!!!'..

He came up to the fence and I said "I have something to show you". This
was my BIG MOMENT. I pulled out the 1909 Indian head penny and showed
it to him, and... AND....

He shrugged his shoulders and said "I guess I was wrong...". Just like
that. I remember thinking to myself "Gee, THAT was disappointing!!!". I
was around 8 at the time.

Anyway, that's my little story for the day. Does a 1959 wheat penny
exist? I never seen one.

Old May 16th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

#1) You could discern a date on a buffalo nickel by applying acid (and
you guys have conformed this is TRUE, all these years I thought it was
BS...)

Nick-A-Date.

#2) While rare, there were 1959 Wheat Pennies, and..

False. There was a report of a 1959 Wheatback cent but it was
determined to be a fake. We discussed it here not too long ago.

#3) They only made 1909 wheat pennies: the 1909 Indian head didn't
exist.

Yes, it does.

Childhood disappointment story snipped

Anyway, that's my little story for the day. Does a 1959 wheat penny
exist? I never seen one.

See response to #2 above.

Jerry

Old May 16th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[Default] On 15 May 2006 19:10:02 -0700, "The Space Boss"
climbed to the top of the minaret and sang out:

#1) You could discern a date on a buffalo nickel by applying acid (and
you guys have conformed this is TRUE, all these years I thought it was
BS...)

I dunno if this is true or not

#2) While rare, there were 1959 Wheat Pennies, and..

Nope

#3) They only made 1909 wheat pennies: the 1909 Indian head didn't
exist.

Then I must be imagining the 1909 Indian Head penny in my
collection...:P
That year they made both.

Old May 16th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

He came up to the fence and I said "I have something to show you". This
was my BIG MOMENT. I pulled out the 1909 Indian head penny and showed
it to him, and... AND....

He shrugged his shoulders and said "I guess I was wrong...". Just like
that. I remember thinking to myself "Gee, THAT was disappointing!!!".

I got a similar reaction from an aquaintance of mine. After spending
an afternoon at the public library for the purpose of PROVING the
Saturn V had more lift than the Shuttle system. Presenting the proof,
complete with scale drawings and graphs, he responded that he didn't
recall the original discussion.

Just didn't seem fair.
Old May 16th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 15 May 2006 19:42:51 -0700, "Jerry Dennis"

snip
#2) While rare, there were 1959 Wheat Pennies, and..

False. There was a report of a 1959 Wheatback cent but it was
determined to be a fake. We discussed it here not too long ago.
snip

According to The Authoritative Reference on Lincoln Cents by John
Wexler & Kevin Flynn, a gentleman "discovered" a 1959-D Wheat backed
Cent in a jar of change. On Feb. 7, 1986 a Richard M. McDrew, special
agent with the Secret Service, inspected this coin under a 40x
microscope and found nothing to suggest that the coin was a genuine
lincoln cent. Although mint officials say that they never had any
"time" to "experiment" with the combination of the two dies. But it's
not the first time the mint said they didn't do something that
theyactually did do. I mean, today we see the mint not saying to much
on the 2006 doubled die Lincoln cents. Especially since the mint ONLY
uses a quote un quote single squeeze method now days....

Now, granted I ALWAYS look at the reverses of 1959-D Cents for doubled
die reverses, but, I guarantee you, if I do happen to run across a
memorial reverse, everyone will my holler of excitement. LOL

Also, as another point of topic, there was an auction a couple years
ago. I think Fred Wienberg was the cosigner or owner of two coins that
should never had been. One was a two tailed quarter, and the other was
a two tailed dime. These were examined by the Secret service (I
believe) and found to be liget as well. And if I am not mistaken, fred
weinberg or PCGS were able to determine the approximate or exact year
due to various die markers of the reverses.

Later,
Chuck

Later,
Chuck (dacoinman)
dacoinman - ebay
---
www.dacoinman.com (my error/variety website)
Old May 19th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Tue, 16 May 2006 11:18:30 GMT, wrote:

On 15 May 2006 19:42:51 -0700, "Jerry Dennis"

snip
#2) While rare, there were 1959 Wheat Pennies, and..

[...]

Did you mean to say "was NOT a genuine lincoln cent."??

Now, granted I ALWAYS look at the reverses of 1959-D Cents for doubled
die reverses, but, I guarantee you, if I do happen to run across a
memorial reverse, everyone will my holler of excitement. LOL

Please re-read. What did you intend to say?

Also, as another point of topic, there was an auction a couple years
ago. I think Fred Wienberg was the cosigner or owner of two coins that
should never had been. One was a two tailed quarter, and the other was
a two tailed dime. These were examined by the Secret service (I
believe) and found to be liget as well. And if I am not mistaken, fred
weinberg or PCGS were able to determine the approximate or exact year
due to various die markers of the reverses.

Later,
Chuck

Later,
Chuck (dacoinman)