Pneumatic Mail Service

Old February 21st 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
tbone

Default Pneumatic Mail Service

Those of you who don't subscribe to the Stamps of Distinction blog
might have missed my current post on Pneumatic Mail Service (using air/
vacuums to transfer mail).

It is at http://stampsofdistinction.wordpress...-mail-service/

Thanks,
Tony S.
Stamps of Distinction Blog
http://stampsofdistinction.wordpress.com
Old February 22nd 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

It is athttp://stampsofdistinction.wordpress.com/2008/02/21/pneumatic-mail-se...

Thanks,
Tony S.
Stamps of Distinction Bloghttp://stampsofdistinction.wordpress.com

Tony:

France issued a variety of postal stationery items
(cards and envelopes) for Pneumatic Post items.
http://www.cix.co.uk/~mhayhurst/jdha...tic/book2.html

Similar stationery was issued by Germany and Austria.

Austria. 1920, postal stationery pneumatic post lettersheet
(H&G L16) used as postal lettersheet, from stamp dealer to US.
http://www.mayoph.com/images3/04c218.jpg

German pneumatic post (card) and (envelope).
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/7/7...04223491_o.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/7/7...04223566_o.jpg

Blair

Old February 22nd 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Tony S. (tbone) wrote :
Those of you who don't subscribe to the Stamps of Distinction blog
might have missed my current post on Pneumatic Mail Service (using
air/
vacuums to transfer mail).

It is at
http://stampsofdistinction.wordpress...-mail-service/

Hello Tony,

Just for your information, as you wrote in your blog :
Italy is the only country to issue stamps to pay for mail delivery
via their pneumatic tube system.

At least France (and may be some other countries) did issue special
official stationnery for that purpose. On these post-cards or covers are
printed what is generally considered as "true" stamps.

Here a page (in French) on these entires where you may see one example
(designed by Mr. Chaplain) of the hundreds of different covers and cards
issued by France for Pneumatic mail service between 1879 an 1984 for
their use in Paris, Marseilles and Algiers (which was French until 1962)
networks.

My catalogue of French postal stationnery (entires ?) has 17 pages for
these "stamps" for Pneumatic mail service.

HTH

P.S. Before sending this I just read Blair's post sent few minutes ago.
There is some ovelapping between our answers : I nevertheless send my
answer as it is soooo painful for me to write in English ... ;-)

--
Regards,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name

Old February 22nd 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
tbone

On Feb 21, 9:24 pm, "Pierre Courtiade" wrote:

P.S. Before sending this I just read Blair's post sent few minutes ago.
There is some ovelapping between our answers : I nevertheless send my
answer as it is soooo painful for me to write in English ... ;-)

Pierre and Blair,

Thank you for reading my blog and commenting. I paraphrased your and
Blair's extensive entries with a short update on my blog page:

Old February 22nd 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

tbone wrote :

Pierre and Blair,

Thank you for reading my blog and commenting. I paraphrased your and
Blair's extensive entries with a short update on my blog page:

http://stampsofdistinction.wordpress...-mail-service/

Tony S.

Thanks Tony for the return of information.
In my previous answer, I forgot the link to the French entires page :

http://www.entierpostal.fr/mainsommaire.html
On the left column, you should click on "Pneumatique"

It is also explained there that such services had been used in Berlin,
Bologna (Italy), Buenos-Ayres, Milano, Napoli, Rio de janeiro, Roma,
Vienna, New-York, Switzerland.

Specific entires were issued among other countries in Algeria,
Argentina, Austria, Brasil, France and Germany.

Some services were also opened during Exhibitions of Chicago, London
(1890), Munich and more recently Ansterdam (in 2003).

The author also writes : "Some are also in use in your local
super-market : open your eyes !"

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old February 22nd 08, 06:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee

The author also writes : "Some are also in use in your local
super-market : open your eyes !"

In the United States, Home Depot stores (large "home center" hardware
stores) frequently use them, connecting registers to the back office.

Some older banks in the U.S. do the same thing, as well.

- Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org
APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old February 22nd 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee

The author also writes : "Some are also in use in your local
super-market : open your eyes !"

Forgot to mention: for people who are interested in the topic, I can
recommend, as a light read, a slim volume by Tom Standage entitled
"The Victorian Internet". There is an entire chapter on the heyday of
pneumatic systems in the late 19th century. It even discusses a case
in which a live cat (!) was sent through the system. The cat emerged
startled but alive.

Old February 22nd 08, 07:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Joshua McGee wrote :

In the United States, Home Depot stores (large "home center" hardware
stores) frequently use them, connecting registers to the back office.

Following your mention of the back office, this reminds me a major
fraud discovered recently in a French bank : a "small" loss of
5000 million Euros (about 7500 million US $) :
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...nsocgen924.xml

If the connections with the banks' back office had been made by
pneumatic mail, this trader may have not succeeded in his fraud ...

;-)

N.B. : I also duly appreciated your other post on the cat sent by
pneumatic mail and which arrived startled but alive ;-)
Poor nice kitten !

--
All the best,
Pierre

Old February 22nd 08, 08:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

N.B. : I also duly appreciated your other post on the cat sent by
pneumatic mail and which arrived startled but alive ;-)
Poor nice kitten !

--
All the best,
Pierre

I agree completely. My cat is quaking at the thought - though, as far
as I know, Melbourne never had a pneumatique.

Tony
Old February 26th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee

N.B. : I also duly appreciated your other post on the cat sent by
pneumatic mail and which arrived startled but alive ;-)
Poor nice kitten !

I agree completely. My cat is quaking at the thought - though, as far
as I know, Melbourne never had a pneumatique.

My sweet cat quakes at the thought, too. It is the main reason I
don't take my cat to the Home Depot (otherwise I would, of course :-)

My cat (that simple "house", next to the piano, is his favorite
residence): http://www.mcgees.org/img/sebastian_in_bag.jpg

- Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org
http://www.mcgees.org/postalcancel/p...celintro.shtml