How to identify?

Old February 8th 05, 10:37 PM
Aodhan

Default How to identify?

When looking at older stamps, how does one identify the different types
of paper/printings, etc? I mean, obviously experience is one way, but
other than pestering my local stamp shop, how do you tell if the stamp
you have is worth $50 or $5000? (I'm pretty sure it's the $50, but
$5000 would be nice.)

Aodhan

Old February 9th 05, 12:13 PM
Tony Clayton

In a recent message "Aodhan" wrote:

When looking at older stamps, how does one identify the different types
of paper/printings, etc? I mean, obviously experience is one way, but
other than pestering my local stamp shop, how do you tell if the stamp
you have is worth $50 or $5000? (I'm pretty sure it's the $50, but
$5000 would be nice.)

Aodhan

Try being a bit more specific as to what the catalogue calls the
different types of paper or printing.

Then we can try and help!

--
Tony Clayton or
Coins of the UK :
Old February 10th 05, 06:23 PM
Bill Sharpe

Start with a perf gauge, magnifying glass, watermark detector, and a
specialized catalog.

Bill

oups.com...