Long-term storage of ballpoints

Old March 14th 09, 02:01 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Long-term storage of ballpoints

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

snip
The first, which I still have, is an old one from ~1990. It looks OK, is
good quality, but has irritating flow problems, so seldom gets inked.

The second, which I got rid of, was a modern one. There was nothing
wrong with it, but I couldn't get on with the shiny, slippery metal
section.

I didn't know who made their nibs recently.

I'm sure some Cross fps are very good, but not my tiny sample.

I can't speak to the older pen, but that slippery metal section reminds
me of the ATX. Yes, that was an unpleasant surprise especially for those
who had the entire pen that way.

Maybe that was what I had; I didn't get a box or papers, so I don't know
the exact model. I wonder what market they were hoping to attract. I doubt
if collectors would be keen on it, and it wasn't good to write with, IMO.

I've been trying to remember, but I can't so can venture only a guess that
it was intended as an every user pen.

If you don't mind my asking, how was it that you didn't get a box or any
papers?

Did it look like this (except, maybe, for the finish):

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c76ay6?

See that Pure Chrome? Ai-yi-yi!

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old March 14th 09, 02:05 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Bluesea" wrote in message

I've been trying to remember, but I can't so can venture only a guess that
it was intended as an every user pen.

Sorry. Should read, "...everyday user pen."

Cross pro'lly meant it for every user, though.

Old March 14th 09, 09:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

snip
[...]

Yes, that's the same model. Mine was the "Basalt Black" with shiny
section. I noticed it cheap, minus box and papers, in a charity shop.
It's obviously a good quality pen, and I thought I was getting a
fantastic bargain. Then after I had tried it (ugh!), I flushed it out,
cleaned it up and threw the fish back in the water for the next gullible
angler to catch.

I got a fantastic 1970s Parker by this same route, for 10 UKP, so I'm
not complaining.

That Pure Chrome Cross is the stuff of nightmares. Also, just imagine
using it in a bright, sunny room, and annoying everybody, yourself
included.

--
Alan

Old March 14th 09, 09:25 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Bluesea" wrote in message

I've been trying to remember, but I can't so can venture only a guess
that it was intended as an every user pen.

Sorry. Should read, "...everyday user pen."

Cross pro'lly meant it for every user, though.

Or so they hoped

Thanks for identifying it, by the way - now I know not to get the ATX
again.

--
Alan