Ink Reviews: Orange, Apricot Orange, Quick Lime

Old April 30th 08, 09:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

Default Ink Reviews: Orange, Apricot Orange, Quick Lime

Conway Stewart Orange:
It looks reddish in the bottle, but is plainly orange juice on paper. The
resemblance is so remarkable that I wanted some juice to make sure. (I don't
keep OJ on hand.) Fortunately, a TV commercial for OJ made from Valencia
oranges played and I verified that it, indeed, is exactly that color. Of
course, I have no idea of how orange juice looks on your TV, but you surely
get my point well enough for me not to have to go out to buy some juice.

Noodler's-labeled-for-Swisher Apricot Orange:
Wow. This is EXACTLY like dried apricots. As with many inks, broader lines
are darker, have more color, than finer lines, but they're dried apricots
all the way because I've seen these same shades in dried fruit. Remarkable!
I used a dip pen (I don't know how to use a dip pen, but I was using a dip
pen) and got shading that would be beautiful if it was in a pen that enables
one to shade as one writes, perhaps a Namiki Falcon or another that can
produce variable line width, instead of the fat, blobby lines I was getting
right after dipping that waned to faint, barely visible lines as the pen ran
out of ink.

Noodler's-labeled-for-Swisher Quick Lime:
This is an attention-grabbing, vibrant, lighter green that isn't apparently
yellowish. It's perfect for me. The best comparison is for you to go to
Wal-Mart and look at a container of Great Value Blended Key Lime yogurt, at
the outside border that runs left-top-right on the colored part of the
label. That's the color of this ink except the ink is bright and the border
is dull.

I'm entranced by the Apricot Orange, and that the CS Orange looks like OJ,
but I still want ink that looks like the outside of the rind of the fruit,
so I guess I'll order Diamine Orange next. The Quick Lime does it for me, so
that's that.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old April 30th 08, 09:47 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:27:59 -0500, "Bluesea"
wrote:

Conway Stewart Orange:
It looks reddish in the bottle, but is plainly orange juice on paper. The
resemblance is so remarkable that I wanted some juice to make sure. (I don't
keep OJ on hand.) Fortunately, a TV commercial for OJ made from Valencia
oranges played and I verified that it, indeed, is exactly that color. Of
course, I have no idea of how orange juice looks on your TV, but you surely
get my point well enough for me not to have to go out to buy some juice.

Thanks for the comments on the CS Orange. I've seen some CS colors
and they looked like crap and this one sounds really watery.

If you're interested in plain orange, kind of bold, I think you'll be
very happy with Diamine Orange, which is one of very few Diamine inks
I'm pleased with.

They have come out with a Kelly Green, just released the other day,
that I am anxious to see or hear about. There is a review on FPN, but
not much too it.
Old May 1st 08, 11:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
Bluesea wrote:

...the CS Orange looks like OJ,
but I still want ink that looks like the outside of the rind of the

fruit...

Herbin uses vegetable dyes; maybe they could make an ink with the dyes used
to make "oranges" orange . -- Or DIY: Noodler's "Whiteness of the Whale"
plus those FD&C dyes.

Brian

Old May 1st 08, 04:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

wrote:

Conway Stewart Orange:
It looks reddish in the bottle, but is plainly orange juice on paper. The
resemblance is so remarkable that I wanted some juice to make sure. (I
don't
keep OJ on hand.) Fortunately, a TV commercial for OJ made from Valencia
oranges played and I verified that it, indeed, is exactly that color. Of
course, I have no idea of how orange juice looks on your TV, but you
surely
get my point well enough for me not to have to go out to buy some juice.

Thanks for the comments on the CS Orange. I've seen some CS colors
and they looked like crap and this one sounds really watery.

It didn't seem different from the other inks I've tried with the dip pen.
They're all basically colored water, anyway, so it's just a matter of
whether or not someone wants what their writing to look like it was written
with OJ or not. I like the idea and am trying to think to whom I can send a
note or letter - darn email!

What I don't like about CS is that the bottle didn't come in a box like
other inks I have. Even Sheaffer has a box, not that the clear container
does anything about blocking out the light .

If you're interested in plain orange, kind of bold, I think you'll be
very happy with Diamine Orange, which is one of very few Diamine inks
I'm pleased with.

Yup. It's on my list.

Old May 1st 08, 04:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Brian Ketterling" wrote in
message ...
In ,
Bluesea wrote:

...the CS Orange looks like OJ,
but I still want ink that looks like the outside of the rind of the

fruit...

Herbin uses vegetable dyes; maybe they could make an ink with the dyes
used
to make "oranges" orange . -- Or DIY: Noodler's "Whiteness of the
Whale"
plus those FD&C dyes.

I almost bought J. Herbin's Indian Orange (whatever it's called), but it
looked a tad brownish.

I might try the FD&Cs for the heck of it. I'm due for grocery shopping soon.
LOL.

Old May 1st 08, 05:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Bluesea" wrote in message

whether or not someone wants what their writing ...

....they're writing...

Old May 1st 08, 06:17 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Thu, 1 May 2008 06:00:30 -0400, "Brian Ketterling"
wrote:

In ,
Bluesea wrote:

...the CS Orange looks like OJ,
but I still want ink that looks like the outside of the rind of the

fruit...

Herbin uses vegetable dyes; maybe they could make an ink with the dyes used
to make "oranges" orange . -- Or DIY: Noodler's "Whiteness of the Whale"
plus those FD&C dyes.

I haven't had good results mixing "Whiteness". I've gotten better
results from just adding water. As far as I know, nobody has posted
any good results on FPN either.

FPN is 99% ****nuts and dip****s and dumbasses, but there are a few
people on there who have come up with some good mixes, and I'm not
talking about the people who think Waterman Florida Blue and Waterman
South Seas makes a good mix.

I've got one Herbin ink and I've seen writing samples of a few others
and have received vials of a few others, and damn if I know why
anybody would want to use that high priced colored water when they can
go to the grocery and get food coloring or just write with Kool-Aid,
and, hell, I guess Conway Stewart is another Herbin.

And it's come out that Herbin doesn't use vegetable dyes for
everything. Turns out their violet is some kind of dye used for
staining specimens to look at under the microscope. I think it's
called "crystal violet", and you can buy it as crystal violet a hell
of lot cheaper than you can buy it in a herbin bottle.
Old May 1st 08, 06:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Thu, 1 May 2008 10:56:47 -0500, "Bluesea"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I took your description as looking as if it were written in orange to
mean that the ink was very watery.

And I still write out a letter or two a week.
Old May 1st 08, 06:47 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

I guess CS meant for it to look like OJ.

And I still write out a letter or two a week.

That's great! I sent a couple of correspondence cards last _month_.

Old May 1st 08, 06:52 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"The Drunken Lord" wrote in message

I've got one Herbin ink and I've seen writing samples of a few others
and have received vials of a few others, and damn if I know why
anybody would want to use that high priced colored water when they can
go to the grocery and get food coloring or just write with Kool-Aid...

NO! NOT KOOL-AID! OH, THE SUGAR...AUGGHHH!

Er...does Kool-Aid have sugar in it or does the sugar have to be added?

UGLY ORANGE INK!! JimL Pens & Pencils 12 April 26th 06 12:20 PM
Orange Ink kmk Pens & Pencils 7 February 16th 06 01:40 PM
PR Orange Crush Jeff Miars Pens & Pencils 5 November 15th 05 06:07 AM
"Fiesta orange" spaceball for $425??? WTF? DeserTBoB 8 Track Tapes 11 November 10th 04 03:48 PM
Orange pen alert! KCat Pens & Pencils 6 July 17th 04 03:55 AM