Parker 45 converter

Old September 29th 04, 12:10 AM
John B. Egger

Default Parker 45 converter

I'm finding that my Parker 45, equipped with a Parker converter, will
not draw ink from the bottle when it's installed in the pen... but it
will when I remove it from the pen and insert it directly into the
bottle. This is not a pen I use very often.

The problem sounds to me like an air leak at the point at which the
converter mounts onto the body of the pen (collector?). Any suggestions
for gasket repair, or parts source for a NOS (or does a new one fit?)
converter?
Old September 29th 04, 03:50 AM
mz

John B. Egger wrote:
I'm finding that my Parker 45, equipped with a Parker converter, will
not draw ink from the bottle when it's installed in the pen... but it
will when I remove it from the pen and insert it directly into the
bottle. This is not a pen I use very often.

The problem sounds to me like an air leak at the point at which the
converter mounts onto the body of the pen (collector?). Any suggestions
for gasket repair, or parts source for a NOS (or does a new one fit?)
converter?

You mention the pen is not used often. Is it possible there
is dried ink or something else plugging the feed, preventing
the convertor from being filled? If not, you can use any
modern Parker convertor.

Finally, a small amount of carefully applied rubber cement
will work as a gasket that is not permanent. Use a toothpick
to apply a small amount at the base of the nipple in the
section. Be very careful not to get any on the open end of
the nipple or you will compound your problem. Remember you
are only trying to plug the presumably small gaps between
the nipple and collar of the convertor. If or when you
remove the convertor, a new application of rubber cement
will be needed. Frank shared this advice a few years back,
and it's worked for me.

HTH,
Mark Z.
Old September 29th 04, 07:29 AM
Free Citizen

"John B. Egger" wrote in message
I'm finding that my Parker 45, equipped with a Parker converter, will not
draw ink from the bottle when it's installed in the pen... but it will
when I remove it from the pen and insert it directly into the bottle. This
is not a pen I use very often.

The problem sounds to me like an air leak at the point at which the
converter mounts onto the body of the pen (collector?). Any suggestions
for gasket repair, or parts source for a NOS (or does a new one fit?)
converter?

Ha! Not a pen you use very often. There lies a probable cause to your
problem. Did you washed the pen before you last kept it aside? If not, soak
it in water overnight. Flush it thoroughly. Put it to dry and then try
again.
--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

Old October 6th 04, 12:12 AM
John B. Egger

Free Citizen wrote:
"John B. Egger" wrote in message

I'm finding that my Parker 45, equipped with a Parker converter, will not
draw ink from the bottle when it's installed in the pen... but it will
when I remove it from the pen and insert it directly into the bottle. This
is not a pen I use very often.

The problem sounds to me like an air leak at the point at which the
converter mounts onto the body of the pen (collector?). Any suggestions
for gasket repair, or parts source for a NOS (or does a new one fit?)
converter?

OK, guys, here's the deal: I disassembled the converter this evening and
found that the bladder had torn at its bottom end. Extracting it with
needle-nosed pliers, I cut off the torn end with scissors and
reassembled the converter with the now-shortened bladder tightly fitting
on the threaded plastic tip. The pen now draws ink just as it should,
though of course not as much.

Now I just need to order a new properly sized bladder somewhere... in
the meantime, I'm pleased with this success.

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592