shaking ink?

Old October 2nd 04, 11:59 PM
JK

Default shaking ink?

I was one of those who picked up a Pelikan 605 in the Levengers sale.

Gave it its first fill of the wonderful Noodler's Black, and started
writing....and was surprised to see a line of ink that was distinctly "mid-
grey" rather than the normal dense black I'm used to from Noodler's (which
I only bought for the first time a couple of months ago). It wasn't a
problem of flow, definitely a problem of intensity, and not a subtle one.
It looked watery. Kept writing for a while, but it didn't improve.

It then occurred to me that the bottle has not been touched for several
weeks. Although I was sure I had read many times that ink bottles never
need to be shaken, I emptied the 605, gave the bottle of Noodler's a gentle
shake, and re-filled, and started writing. And behold, a wonderful dense
black line appears....

So I searched the posts here, and sure enough, the few posts I can find of
shaking ink say that it should never be necessary. But I'm not making this
up - the difference was marked, far too great to be a trick of the light.
Any thoughts?

Love the 605, by the way, although I'm not sure that it's a better writer
than my current favourite (the wonderful Filcao Leader - a bit heavy to be
my ideal everyday pen, but a stunningly good nib).

JohnK
Old October 3rd 04, 09:10 AM
Penny Howland

"JK" wrote in message
. 1.4...
[...]

JK--
Have been told never to shake ink due to residue that collects on the bottom
but I notice a separation too. Will await responses.

How does your 605 compare in size to 800? Thanks, Penny

Old October 3rd 04, 12:24 PM
Giovanni Abrate

There are some waterproof inks originating in China and said to be
compatible with fountain pens that use microscopic-size pigments. This is a
new development and these waterproof inks are being offered in bulk to
Western manufacturers. While safe for fountain pen use, I imagine the
pigment may have a tendency to settle to the bottom when the ink has been
still for extended periods of time.
I have no idea of how the Noodlers waterproof inks work, but perhaps they
use a similar formulation.
Giovanni

. 1.4...

Old October 5th 04, 02:26 AM
Scaupaug1

No need to shake it. Use it right out of the bottle as is. When the bottle is
used up, it will look like a 1950's bottle - inky at the bottom. If your flow
is reduced - and you leave the bottle open for a long time you can add a little
water to pref. (you should fill the pen and close the bottle promptly, as the
water used in the ink is chemically as pure as can be made and it would be wise
to preserve from evaporation loss). A cellulose reactive ink can be killed,
however - if you add certain chemicals while still in liquid form (if one pen
has a highly acidic ink or ink containing salts - rinse it out VERY well before
filling with a cellulose reactive ink, and don't mix from that pen into the
cellulose reactive ink if not rinsed clean). Cellulose reactive inks are
fragile - only AFTER drying on paper will they become durable vrs. the enemies
of certain chemicals and salts (and also immune to just about everything
else...including the tools of the forger). It is a type of lattice ink, as the
dye sits on the opposite side of the water lattice vrs. normal inks.

The first cellulose reactive ink (the black) has been in test pens continuously
since introduction - including a Kaweco sport ink ball for months as well. It
has performed flawlessly and the first triumph plunger filler that still has
its first filling in it - still writes on the first stroke (note, it is a
sealed cap pen that does not generally have drying problems - thus the many
months - since March - of still writing wet the moment it touches the page).
My main concern with such inks has always been that people follow the
maintenance advised by manufacturers (rinse before storage, rinse before
changing inks - regular tap water is fine).

Giovanni ----is it true you are an airship/lighter than air veteran? If so,
let me know. I have a lot of info. for you.

Old October 5th 04, 02:53 AM
JK

Giovanni/Penny,

Thanks for your responses. I guess it's difficult to get a definitive
response to this one.

How does your 605 compare in size to 800? Thanks, Penny

Can't really answer in detail, Penny. I've only played with an 800 once,
briefly, and that was some time ago. Memory is too vague.

Pelikan 605 feels right for me in terms of size, although if I'm being
fussy, my ideal pen would be a touch heavier. For what I guess is a medium-
sized pen, it's actually quite light. The Levenger sale price is a fair
deal for such a good writer.

The 605 and the Filcao Leader will be my main pens for some time to come:
very different pens, but both a pleasure to use.

The best bargain I've bought recently though, is a couple of Pelikan 75s
(new on eBay Germany). About £5 ($8) each, and a piston filler with a
decent medium nib. Nothing like it for the money today.

JohnK
Old October 5th 04, 02:48 PM
Giovanni Abrate

Dear Nathan,
thanks for the clarification on your remarkable ink! Truly a wonderful array
of colors and ink types!
I was an airship test pilot and tried to send you an email backchannel, but
your mailbox must be full! I will keep on trying.
Take care,
Giovanni

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 6th 04, 05:44 AM
R. Paul Martin

On 05 Oct 2004 01:26:08 GMT, nky (Scaupaug1) wrote:

No need to shake it. Use it right out of the bottle as is. When the bottle is
used up, it will look like a 1950's bottle - inky at the bottom.

I think I've just experienced this lessening of intensity. It doesn't
happen to the ink in a pen that's been filled for some months, but
when I just filled a very clean cartridge with Noodler's Black I got a
rather gray line, as opposed to a black line. I guess I'm going to
shake the bottle here. I'm using the ink in a Kaweco Classic Fountain
Pen.

And I've just refilled my Shaeffer Imperial and the same thing is
happening. I've shaken the bottle and refilled both pens. I'm still
writing out the ink in the feed, I guess. The Shaeffer Imperial has
had Noodler's Black in it as the only ink ever used in it. It was
definitely writing the dark, black line for some months.

I bought the Noodler's Black in May, and opened the bottle on June 30
(yes, I wrote the date of opening on the top of the lid). That June
30, filling has been working well in the Shaeffer Imperial since then.
It ran out today.

So I'm wondering what's going on. I have an unopened bottle of
Noodler's Black bought at the same time as the bottle I'm using. I'm
not going to open that yet.

If your flow
is reduced - and you leave the bottle open for a long time you can add a little
water to pref.

I do not think that I've got a restricted flow, at this time.

(you should fill the pen and close the bottle promptly, as the
water used in the ink is chemically as pure as can be made and it would be wise
to preserve from evaporation loss). ....

I put the lid back on the bottle right away. It's only off for maybe a
minute per filling. So that means the cap has been off for maybe two
minutes, three at the very outside.
Old October 6th 04, 05:44 AM
R. Paul Martin

On 2 Oct 2004 22:59:03 GMT, JK
wrote:

I was one of those who picked up a Pelikan 605 in the Levengers sale.

Gave it its first fill of the wonderful Noodler's Black, and started
writing....and was surprised to see a line of ink that was distinctly "mid-
grey" rather than the normal dense black I'm used to from Noodler's (which
I only bought for the first time a couple of months ago). It wasn't a
problem of flow, definitely a problem of intensity, and not a subtle one.
It looked watery. Kept writing for a while, but it didn't improve.

I've just had the same experience. I wrote about it more later in this
thread.

It then occurred to me that the bottle has not been touched for several
weeks. Although I was sure I had read many times that ink bottles never
need to be shaken, I emptied the 605, gave the bottle of Noodler's a gentle
shake, and re-filled, and started writing. And behold, a wonderful dense
black line appears....

I'm not getting that black line yet. I think I'm still getting the ink
in the feed from the original filling. I'm refilling cartridges, which
I clean out thoroughly before refilling. I hope I get that black line
soon.