Cervantes First?

Old February 4th 05, 09:59 PM
Dave

Default Cervantes First?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...n_050204164635

What would this cost, if verified, on the open market? How much is
'priceless x 2'?
Makes me want to go door-to-door, asking about books.....
Old February 5th 05, 05:14 AM
William M. Klimon

"Dave" wrote in message

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...n_050204164635

What would this cost, if verified, on the open market? How much is
'priceless x 2'?

"Priceless"? I mean, this isn't a MasterCard commercial. A Shakespeare
First Folio went for $6.1 M in 2001. I believe a second edition of Don
Quixote sold at auction in the mid-1990s. There are comparables. A price
can be established.

Makes me want to go door-to-door, asking about books.....

The most rabid collectors and scouts have always done exactly that--from
Isaiah Thomas, founder of the American Antiquarian Society, to early 20/c
dealers like Charlie Everitt and Ernie Wessen (or more precisely, their
scouts).

William M. Klimon
http://www.catholicbookcollector.com

Old February 15th 05, 12:56 AM
Dave

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 00:14:12 -0500, "William M. Klimon"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
.. .

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...n_050204164635

What would this cost, if verified, on the open market? How much is
'priceless x 2'?

"Priceless"? I mean, this isn't a MasterCard commercial. A Shakespeare
First Folio went for $6.1 M in 2001. I believe a second edition of Don
Quixote sold at auction in the mid-1990s. There are comparables. A price
can be established.

Makes me want to go door-to-door, asking about books.....

The most rabid collectors and scouts have always done exactly that--from
Isaiah Thomas, founder of the American Antiquarian Society, to early 20/c
dealers like Charlie Everitt and Ernie Wessen (or more precisely, their
scouts).

William M. Klimon
http://www.catholicbookcollector.com

Thanks for that. 'Priceless' is over the top. But thinking about
what I spend on books and the most expensive book I have purchased was
only $500 usd, to make the ratio of my $500 to the 1st Folio would
be.. let me see, a couple of zero's extra.... carry the five...

Ok, that purchase would put me in Gates-ian or Buffett income
territories. Effectively unobtainable, to me.

Door-to-door is sounding more promising all the time.

Dave