Desert Valley by Jackson Gregory

Old February 14th 05, 04:37 AM
Alyson

Default Desert Valley by Jackson Gregory

I have this old book that I really don't want, but somebody told me to see
if it has any potential value, so I thought I would ask here. I tried a
Google search already and came up with squat. It's "Desert Valley" by
Jackson Gregory, copyright 1921 by Charles Scribner's Sons. But it also says
Reprinted May, December, 1921 so I'm assuming it's not a first edition. It
is hardcover but doesn't have a dust jacket. I don't know if it ever even
had one. Does anybody have any info? Thanks.

Old February 14th 05, 01:15 PM
my-wings

"Alyson" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have this old book that I really don't want, but somebody told me to see
if it has any potential value, so I thought I would ask here. I tried a
Google search already and came up with squat. It's "Desert Valley" by
Jackson Gregory, copyright 1921 by Charles Scribner's Sons. But it also
says Reprinted May, December, 1921 so I'm assuming it's not a first
edition. It is hardcover but doesn't have a dust jacket. I don't know if it
ever even had one. Does anybody have any info? Thanks.

Here is an url to your book on AddALL, an accumulator of seller's offers for
used books. (You may have to cut and paste to get all of it.)
http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/sub...n&StoreZVAB=on

This site searches multiple book selling sites, so the same book may show up
multiple times. You can usually tell it's the same book by the description.

While there are a few books where the seller is asking three figures, these
are all first editions with dust jackets. As a later printing, yours is
probably closer in value to the Grosset & Dunlap editions. (Grosset & Dunlap
was a reprint company.) So, I'd say about a $10 value for insurance
purposes. On eBay, I'd start it at $4, and see what happened.

Alice

--
Book collecting terms illustrated. Occasional books for sale.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/

Old February 14th 05, 03:59 PM
Timdo99

Alyson wrote:
I have this old book that I really don't want, but somebody told me

to see
if it has any potential value, so I thought I would ask here. I tried

Google search already and came up with squat. It's "Desert Valley" by

Jackson Gregory, copyright 1921 by Charles Scribner's Sons. But it

also says
Reprinted May, December, 1921 so I'm assuming it's not a first

edition. It
is hardcover but doesn't have a dust jacket. I don't know if it ever

even
had one. Does anybody have any info? Thanks.

To get an idea of the market value of a book, check one of the main
online selling sites like www.abebooks.com, www.bookfinder.com, or
www.alibris.com. When comparing your book to ones listed online, be
sure to pay particular attention to the edition - to buyers who care
about these things (ie, the ones willing to spend the $$$ on
collectable books), First Edition means First Edition First Printing,
and describing a second printing as a First Edition without specifying
the printing is a shady/ignorant (though not uncommon) practice. The
difference between a first and second printing could be the difference
between $100 and $1. Also, pay attention to the condition description -
missing dustjackets, wear and tear on the book or DJ, presence/absence
of bookplates or writing, etc can make a big difference in the market
price. Your book seems to be a classic example - a couple of copies
with DJ listed for $100+, with a handful of jacketless copies around
$10 - $15. As always, be aware that these are asking prices - the books
are still listed because they haven't sold, and one reason they may not
have sold could be because the prices are too high. I'm afraid your
second printing with no dustjacket has little to no market value. That
doesn't mean the book is worthless - give it to someone you know who
likes westerns, and you just might make their week.

Regards, Tim