Type II of Scott A 157 (or how to find Scott 599A or 634 A)

Old November 18th 05, 04:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Type II of Scott A 157 (or how to find Scott 599A or 634 A)

Good afternoon (it is now nearly 6 pm in France)!

I try to make some better order in my used stamps collection from the
States, and I have always all A157 stamps on side to determine if they
are type I or II!! With Scott explanation I find all stamps as type I,
this could be right because type II has a hight value, but some of
them have some signs of Type II, but not all of the signs (principaly
outline of left acanthus); does it exist a better explanation or
picture on the net?

Other question: can type II come from booklets, or can it be
precancelled? This can help also to see differencies!

I thank you if you could help me!

--
Jean-Paul DROGER (pour me joindre en direct:
enlever "anti." et remplacer "allamou"

Old November 18th 05, 07:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:48:41 +0100, "Droger Jean-Paul"
wrote:

Other question: can type II come from booklets, or can it be
precancelled? This can help also to see differences!

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Apparently no type II booklet panes (SN634A). The type I booklet panes
are listed as Feb. 25 1927 earliest usage (SN634).
But some 634A sheets could have also been precancelled, before the
599A Coil became available to businesses in 1929?

Earliest known use of 634A was December 19, 1928, so any stamp
perforated on all 4 sides and clearly showing a date earlier than that
would NOT be type II.
634 appeared December 10, 1926, and is far mor common.

599A would only appear as Coil (vertical perforations).
Earliest known use of 599A was March 29, 1929, so any Coil stamp
clearly showing a date earlier than that would NOT be type II.
599 coils had been in use since Januay 10, 1923, and are more common.
Many businesses used coil stamps, including Precancels, to speed up
their mailings.
++++++++++++++++++
If you have access to any SCOTT catalog, study their sketches which
show the HEAVY outlining of acanthus scroll. Then go to your nearest
Stamp Store and examine a genuine copy of type II.
That HEAVY outline is distinctive, and once you have seen the real
type II, you will not be fooled by any type I fiant outlines.

Good luck in your search, but do not be surprised if you search
through several thousand 599s and 634s without finding a single
genuine type II.

Bon jour!

S.
Old November 19th 05, 05:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

++++++++++++++++++
If you have access to any SCOTT catalog, study their sketches which
show the HEAVY outlining of acanthus scroll. Then go to your nearest
Stamp Store and examine a genuine copy of type II.
That HEAVY outline is distinctive, and once you have seen the real
type II, you will not be fooled by any type I fiant outlines.

Good luck in your search, but do not be surprised if you search
through several thousand 599s and 634s without finding a single
genuine type II.

Bon jour!

S.

I thank you both for your kind answer, I'll study this now, but I think
I have no Type II!

I have Scott specialized 2002 (I don't buy it each year, because it is
not necessary and not easy to find it in France easily)!
I cannot go to my nearest stamp store to examine a genuine Type II,
because the dealer doesn't know it exist such type ! I am in France and
National Catalog Yvert et Tellier doesn't know most types I find in
Scott! I can only ask on the Net when I have some difficulty to
understand what I read on the Scott!!

www.1847usa.com is very interesting and I have copy it on my HD!!

Have a nice sunday!