Warning on fake eBay coins

Old August 21st 11, 07:47 AM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Louisiana Gold & Coins

Default Warning on fake eBay coins

Saw a CCE bulletin and thought I would give a heads up to the ebay coin
people that seller "alltherarecoinsaretaken" has a poor quality counterfeit
1889-CC Morgan listed as genuine. Check out the rather dreadful morphology
and that Chinese CC mintmark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOK-XF-1889...-/110732882366

These two CC Dollars are of the same poor quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOK-Nice-18...E-/11073209831

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOK-Nice-18...-/110732097421

110732882366, 110732098317, 110732097421

report these fake coins to

http://www.ebay.com/ccw

Regards,
Mike

Old August 21st 11, 04:18 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
PeterD

On 8/21/2011 2:47 AM, Louisiana Gold & Coins wrote:
Saw a CCE bulletin and thought I would give a heads up

Damn, yet another unfair thing. Well, this completes our trifecta of
unfairness.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Old August 21st 11, 05:54 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
rjn

"Louisiana Gold & Coins" wrote:

Subject: Warning on fake eBay coins

That's redundant. "warning on eBay coins" suffices.
And I'm speaking as someone who was a casual coin collector,
but bailed from that field around Y2K.

As I wrote this, that listing was still up, although one of the
two others had been pulled. eBay's eagle-eyed coin cops
are clearly on the case.

With the rising quality of PRC fakes, including fake slabs,
I can't imagine buying any items with a numismatic premium
on eBay (and because the alloys are faked, too, buying
bullion-grade is just as risky). Do you coin dealers realize that
coin collecting cannot survive this tsunami of clones, however clumsy?

... poor quality counterfeit 1889-CC Morgan listed as genuine.

At least it's a reproduction of an actual coin. Many eBay fakes
are complete fictions.

Check out the rather dreadful morphology and that Chinese CC mintmark.

Comparing the listing photos to the ANA Grading Standards
(4th ed.), nothing really jumps out. Do you have to be a PCGS
grader to safely bid on coins on eBay?

I suspect that many of these sellers don't even know they are
selling fakes. And they get bids. Many of the buyers will never
know they bought fakes (their heirs will find out when they try
to cash in).

I wonder if anything can be done about this. Whatever steps
might be taken, debunking individual listings on AMOE is
easily the least effective thing to do.

--
Regards, Bob Niland
Old August 21st 11, 07:37 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Steve

On Aug 21, 12:01*pm, "Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke"
wrote:
rjn wrote:
At least it's a reproduction of an actual coin. Many eBay fakes
are complete fictions.

I have a 25 drachma coin dated 224BC. How can I tell if it's fake?

Lumpy

Here is a good basic site on ancients with lots of links.

http://rg.ancients.info/guide/ancients.html
Old August 21st 11, 09:06 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

rjn wrote:
At least it's a reproduction of an actual coin. Many eBay fakes
are complete fictions.

Lump:
I have a 25 drachma coin dated 224BC. How can I tell if it's fake?

Steve!:
Here is a good basic site on ancients with lots of links.

http://rg.ancients.info/guide/ancients.html

I looked around there and couldn't find anything
on coins dated 224BC. This one has a large bird
on one side. By any chance do you recognize if it
might be legit or not?

Lumpy

You sang all those car commercials?
You got it, Toyota.
www.LumpyMusic.com

Old August 21st 11, 10:17 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Lono

On 8/21/2011 1:06 PM, Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke wrote:

I looked around there and couldn't find anything
on coins dated 224BC. This one has a large bird
on one side. By any chance do you recognize if it
might be legit or not?

Lumpy

It is almost as legitimate as a 1933 Reichsmarch note on which is
printed "Pre-WWII"

I think you're giving us the bird...

Old August 22nd 11, 02:28 AM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

Lump:
I looked around there and couldn't find anything
on coins dated 224BC. This one has a large bird
on one side. By any chance do you recognize if it
might be legit or not?

Lono:
It is almost as legitimate as a 1933 Reichsmarch note on which is
printed "Pre-WWII"

I think you're giving us the bird...

Boy, you can't pull anything over on these
coin dealers, can ya...

Old August 22nd 11, 04:09 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

Evan Platt wrote:
Thank goodness none of us here are stupid enough to buy coins from a
coin dealer on eBay.

Coin sales have been banned on eBay.
Notice came out this morning. Existing
listings will be allowed to expire.
No new listings.

Old August 25th 11, 11:53 PM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan Kern

It is customary to convert the actual date as reckoned by ancient
civilizations to the
current BC-AD dating system. Many ancient civilizations started their
calendars at year 1 at
the start of an "era," for example Seleucid began at 312 B.C. , Pompeian at
64 B.C. , etc.

These people are making fun of coin dealers for claiming that "BC" would
actually be part of the
inscription of an ancient coin, yet their lack of knowledge makes THEM the
actual fools.

Old August 26th 11, 01:26 AM posted to alt.marketing.online.ebay,rec.collecting.coins
rjn

"Jonathan Kern" wrote:

These people are making fun of coin dealers for claiming that
"BC" would actually be part of the inscription of an ancient coin,
yet their lack of knowledge makes THEM the actual fools.

Lumpy keeps using the BC gag because people keep falling for it,
including some self-appointed coin experts. Everyone knows that
they didn't use "BC" dates, due to the off-by-one problem, the
disagreement on whether there would be a year zero or a year
one. This is the famous Y0K problem.

But if you listed a "Gem BU" 224BC coin on eBay, someone
would buy it.

Apparently, stamping dates on coins based on a perpetual
calendar didn't really start until 1234 AD. There were a few
earlier attempts, evidently based on dynasty year, as early
as 78 BC, but more usually ancient coins either had no numerical
date, or it was the current monarchy year.

--
Regards, Bob Niland