ATB 5 Oz Numismatic version

Old May 11th 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
A. Nony Moose[_2_]

Default ATB 5 Oz Numismatic version

"Bremick" wrote in message ...

"A. Nony Moose" wrote in message

"Bremick" wrote in message

"A. Nony Moose" wrote in message
Rec'd mine today - lordy this thing is huge.
Sure doesn't look like any coin I ever saw!

I placed an order for one on a whim from the Mint's web page on 30 April
after reading how they expected to sell out on the 29th. I got an email
today that it has been shipped. Now I've got to pay for it.

That's the down side ;-)
The upside is that if your "coin" is anything like the one I rec'd, it should
easily grade MS69 if not MS70.
I've closely examined mine and if there is anything keeping it from grading
MS70, I sure can't see it.

That sounds like there may not be too much markup on TPG-graded MS70 examples
over MS69 ones. I'll just be happy with whatever I receive as a bullion
piece, without spending extra to have it graded. I don't plan on buying any
more of them.

I'm not bothering to get mine graded either.
Like you, I probably won't order another on from the Mint.

Old May 11th 11, 04:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Bremick" wrote in message

[...]

How was it packaged?

Old May 11th 11, 06:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
A. Nony Moose[_2_]

"Bremick" wrote in message

[...]

It comes in a blue box with a blue sleeve, both with silver printing.
The coin is in a capsule and held by a blue-flocked plastic holder.
Nothing fancy, like the First Spouse series.

Old May 12th 11, 10:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Bremick" wrote in message

[...]

I received my Arkansas piece today. Pretty disappointing. When I opened
the box I thought the coin was covered with the dull backside of aluminum
foil. Looked more like pewter than silver. When trying to check the
reverse, the top capsule section separated and the bottom half seemed locked
in the box. Had to remove the coin by hand (gasp!!) to see the back side.
Looked the same as the front-- dull with no contrast. Surely the proof
version must look better. This turned into strictly a bullion purchase for
me, not something to enjoy as a piece of art. Time for eBay. Maybe I can
turn it into 5 or 6 silver eagles.

Old May 12th 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
A. Nony Moose[_2_]

"Bremick" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, I had a problem removing the capsule from the holder too.
I wound up pressing it out from the back of the holder.
I found the "coin" to be attractive but YMMV

Old May 13th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jason Burke

On 5/12/2011 3:06 PM, A. Nony Moose wrote:
wrote in message ...

"A. Nony wrote in message

wrote in message

"A. Nony wrote in message

wrote in message

"A. Nony wrote in message

wrote in message

"A. Nony wrote in message
[...]

Are you anywhere near serious? The welfare / "poor schmuck who can't
even kill himself correctly" handouts are that large these days?

And yet this boy doesn't seem to like Obama!

Old May 13th 11, 06:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Hp

snip

I received my Arkansas piece today. Pretty disappointing. When I opened
the box I thought the coin was covered with the dull backside of aluminum
foil. Looked more like pewter than silver. When trying to check the
reverse, the top capsule section separated and the bottom half seemed locked
in the box. Had to remove the coin by hand (gasp!!) to see the back side.
Looked the same as the front-- dull with no contrast. Surely the proof
version must look better. This turned into strictly a bullion purchase for
me, not something to enjoy as a piece of art. Time for eBay. Maybe I can
turn it into 5 or 6 silver eagles.

Could it be that the coin has a semi frosted treatment??
I noticed this the coin I got in circulation the first month they were
out, then examined closely the proofset when it came, and it too had
that look to it.
Old May 13th 11, 11:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Hp" wrote in message ...
snip

[...]

I read an article that described the "treatment" and the results look pretty
much like one would expect from such a treatment Most people don't seem to
have a problem with it. It just leaves me cold personally. Up on eBay it
went. I have a silver retirement medal about the same size and weight.
It, too, looks like it has been given the same surface look, except the rims
and edges are shiny and chrome-like. Looks much more pleasing, IMO.

A good deal..below spot...on ATB Bullion... MKW Coins 1 April 17th 11 11:07 AM
ATB Silver Bullion Coins? MKW Coins 4 April 8th 11 10:05 PM
FYI: ATB Dave Farmer[_2_] Coins 2 March 26th 11 02:36 AM
Our Least Numismatic Numismatic Items? Mike Marotta Coins 3 June 25th 09 12:21 PM
New cjoint version Blair (TC) General Discussion 1 March 26th 08 11:43 PM