COIN WORLD magazine rates the authenticators. NGC, PCGS etc.

Old September 1st 04, 08:07 PM
frank wight

Default COIN WORLD magazine rates the authenticators. NGC, PCGS etc.

I was surprised to find that ICG and ANACS got mixed reviews...
even ratings that made me think that they should be avoided.

Other encapsulators graded were Trugrade, SEGS, Acugrade
and numistmitrust (sp).
Old September 2nd 04, 02:42 AM
Jorg Lueke

On 1 Sep 2004 12:07:27 -0700, frank wight wrote:

I was surprised to find that ICG and ANACS got mixed reviews...
even ratings that made me think that they should be avoided.

Other encapsulators graded were Trugrade, SEGS, Acugrade
and numistmitrust (sp).

Did they also publish the $ in sales the dealers do for each company.
I wonder if the ratings and the sales figures correlate.
Old September 2nd 04, 03:49 AM
Phil DeMayo

Barry wrote:

It's not COin World that did the ratings. It's the PNG. They did a
similar survey 2 years ago with similar results.

Results of the latest PNG/ICTA survey of grading services can be found at the
PNG web site (click below):

http://www.pngdealers.com/public/Sur...004_detail.cfm

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old September 2nd 04, 06:36 PM
Jorg Lueke

Jorg Lueke spoke thusly...
wrote:

I was surprised to find that ICG and ANACS got mixed reviews...
even ratings that made me think that they should be avoided.

Other encapsulators graded were Trugrade, SEGS, Acugrade
and numistmitrust (sp).

Did they also publish the $ in sales the dealers do for each company.
I wonder if the ratings and the sales figures correlate.

It would make sense if it did correlate and for at least 2 different
reasons depending upon your level of cynicism.

1. They rated X as the best because they deal in them the most.

2. They deal in X the most because they rate them as the best.

Indeed. If most PNG dealers only deal in PCGS/NGC coins then their
objectivity cannot be very high though. It's natural the survey would
correlate, but then what does it prove?
Old September 2nd 04, 06:39 PM
Jorg Lueke

On 02 Sep 2004 02:49:06 GMT, Phil DeMayo wrote:

Barry wrote:

It's not COin World that did the ratings. It's the PNG. They did a
similar survey 2 years ago with similar results.

Results of the latest PNG/ICTA survey of grading services can be found
at the
PNG web site (click below):

http://www.pngdealers.com/public/Sur...004_detail.cfm

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits

So the numbers at the bottom seem to say there were 13 dealers each
filling out 8 surveys although that doesn't explain 172 total surveys. At
any rate a small sample.
Old September 2nd 04, 08:31 PM
J. A. M.

Jorg Lueke wrote:

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:09:26 -0500, Stujoe

Jorg Lueke spoke thusly...
wrote:

I was surprised to find that ICG and ANACS got mixed reviews...
even ratings that made me think that they should be avoided.

Other encapsulators graded were Trugrade, SEGS, Acugrade
and numistmitrust (sp).

Did they also publish the $ in sales the dealers do for each company.
I wonder if the ratings and the sales figures correlate.

It would make sense if it did correlate and for at least 2 different
reasons depending upon your level of cynicism.

1. They rated X as the best because they deal in them the most.

2. They deal in X the most because they rate them as the best.

Indeed. If most PNG dealers only deal in PCGS/NGC coins then their
objectivity cannot be very high though. It's natural the survey would
correlate, but then what does it prove?

That's a BIG if you have there. I don't know about most but many PNG dealers deal in all kind of coins, slabbed and raw.

JAM
Old September 2nd 04, 10:27 PM
Alan Williams

Stujoe wrote:

Jorg Lueke spoke thusly...

Indeed. If most PNG dealers only deal in PCGS/NGC coins then their
objectivity cannot be very high though.

Maybe. Maybe not. I cannot think of a sample for a survey of the grading
services that would be both knowledgeable and have unquestioned
objectivity. Can you?

I nominate...'Prices Realized'. ;-)

The ultimate market test. ;-) Given identical issues and identical
grades, which companies certified coins bring the highest bids at
auction? I think that would be an accurate reflection of consumer
confidence, if not of adherence to objective grading standards.

Alan
'posting realized'