Roll 'em easy

Old February 1st 05, 10:01 AM
Alan Williams

Default Roll 'em easy

Yesterday one of the nickel rolls I searched contained a 1939, a 1952,
and both 2004 Keelboat and Peace reverses. That small novelty set off
an alarm bell in my head as I realized the implications!

In a single roll I had three reverse designs....but if the 1938 and a
war nickel had been present, there would be 5 reverse variations in a
single roll! The total number of reverses possible will rise to 7
before the end of the current year.

Alan
'the spice of life'
Old February 1st 05, 03:20 PM
Dave Allured

Alan,

I was unaware of a variation of the Monticello reverse in 1938/39. You
don't mean the buffalo, do you? Please enlighten me! Thanks.

--Dave

Old February 1st 05, 03:39 PM
Alan Williams

Dave Allured wrote:

Alan,

I was unaware of a variation of the Monticello reverse in 1938/39. You
don't mean the buffalo, do you? Please enlighten me! Thanks.

--Dave

My pleasure. ;-)

http://www.varietynickels.com/diechanges.htm

Complete with pictures...

Alan
'likes pictures'

Old February 1st 05, 04:20 PM
Dave Allured

Alan Williams wrote:

Dave Allured wrote:

Alan,

I was unaware of a variation of the Monticello reverse in 1938/39. You
don't mean the buffalo, do you? Please enlighten me! Thanks.

--Dave

My pleasure. ;-)

http://www.varietynickels.com/diechanges.htm

Complete with pictures...

Very nice. Thank you!

--Dave
Old February 1st 05, 05:26 PM
numist

Alan Williams wrote:
Yesterday one of the nickel rolls I searched contained a 1939, a

1952,
and both 2004 Keelboat and Peace reverses. That small novelty set

off
an alarm bell in my head as I realized the implications!

In a single roll I had three reverse designs....but if the 1938 and a
war nickel had been present, there would be 5 reverse variations in a
single roll! The total number of reverses possible will rise to 7
before the end of the current year.

Alan
'the spice of life'

What? Your done with that truckload already??
(sorry, couldn't resist that one

Ric B.

Old February 1st 05, 07:45 PM
Alan Williams

numist wrote:

What? Your done with that truckload already??
(sorry, couldn't resist that one

Ric B.

Truck? What truck!

Alan
'no truck on me'
Old February 1st 05, 08:21 PM
Bob Flaminio

Alan Williams wrote:
http://www.varietynickels.com/diechanges.htm

Complete with pictures...

FWIW, I looked at those pictures, and aside from wear and strike
differences, I can't tell the difference between the '38 and '40
reverses. Is there any other diagnostics for this besides the steps?

--
Bob

Old February 1st 05, 08:25 PM
Alan Williams

Bob Flaminio wrote:

Alan Williams wrote:
http://www.varietynickels.com/diechanges.htm

Complete with pictures...

FWIW, I looked at those pictures, and aside from wear and strike
differences, I can't tell the difference between the '38 and '40
reverses. Is there any other diagnostics for this besides the steps?

--
Bob

Well, if you want some seriously detailed inages.... ;-)

http://www.coinpage.com/jefferson%20...-pictures.html

But I caution anyone with a dialup to be prepared to walk the dog while

Alan
'beats loading the dog'
Old February 1st 05, 08:57 PM
Alan Williams

Alan Williams wrote:

Bob Flaminio wrote:

Alan Williams wrote:
http://www.varietynickels.com/diechanges.htm

Complete with pictures...

FWIW, I looked at those pictures, and aside from wear and strike
differences, I can't tell the difference between the '38 and '40
reverses. Is there any other diagnostics for this besides the steps?

--
Bob

Well, if you want some seriously detailed inages.... ;-)

http://www.coinpage.com/jefferson%20...-pictures.html

But I caution anyone with a dialup to be prepared to walk the dog while

For those that don't want to know all there is to know... ;-)

http://www.coinpage.com/coin-image-1639.html
is the 1938 reverse. Please note the toning that a know-it-all once
claimed in RCC could not happen. ;-)

and

http://www.coinpage.com/coin-image-446.html

shows the minor changes on the porch and steps for the next and all
subsequent years.

Alan
'has many No-Step Jeffs'