U S Mint Coin and Die Sets (Wisconsin quarter "varieties")

Old January 31st 05, 10:07 PM
dennismike

Default U S Mint Coin and Die Sets (Wisconsin quarter "varieties")

I am just wondering about those state quarter "Coin and Die Sets" the
mint sells. Specifically, if just be sheer chance, someone wound up
with the die (or dies) responsible for the Wisconsin quarter varieties.
I realize the long odds against it but if someone DID get "the one" in
one of these sets, would it be possible to visually notice the "up
leaf", "down leaf" etc on the die face? Or are these dies so defaced
that it would be impossible?

Old January 31st 05, 10:19 PM
Banknote Addict

"dennismike" wrote in news:1107209248.440123.316630
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I am just wondering about those state quarter "Coin and Die Sets" the
mint sells. Specifically, if just be sheer chance, someone wound up
with the die (or dies) responsible for the Wisconsin quarter varieties.
I realize the long odds against it but if someone DID get "the one" in
one of these sets, would it be possible to visually notice the "up
leaf", "down leaf" etc on the die face? Or are these dies so defaced
that it would be impossible?

Unfortunately the design is completely ground off the dies. There wouldn't
be any leaves to look at.
Old February 1st 05, 01:51 PM
bri

"dennismike" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am just wondering about those state quarter "Coin and Die Sets" the
mint sells. Specifically, if just be sheer chance, someone wound up
with the die (or dies) responsible for the Wisconsin quarter varieties.
I realize the long odds against it but if someone DID get "the one" in
one of these sets, would it be possible to visually notice the "up
leaf", "down leaf" etc on the die face? Or are these dies so defaced
that it would be impossible?

I don't know if they still do but sometimes they did take a torch to them
which may or may not have left a few design elements.
They don't use the master dies to make coins--only to make the other working
dies. I don't know if they get rid of the master dies. If those are truly by
design there would be at least three master dies.
I guess it's possible that a working die had some kind of mess up on it that
someone tried to fix which could have made those different coins. Like maybe
there was a defect on the working die that someone turned into leaves to
cover up the goof. That would be quicker to fix that way than making up a
new die from a master. I know for a fact dies for other purposes besides
coins do get fixed when they can. It's a lot faster and cheaper. They'll cut
them in half with a torch and weld them back together if they have to. Time
is money.
Hard to say what the deal is without actually looking at one of those
instead of a picture or a drawing.

Old February 1st 05, 08:11 PM
Harv

"WinWinscenario" wrote in message
I realize the long odds against it but if someone DID get "the one" in
one of these sets, would it be possible to visually notice the "up
leaf", "down leaf" etc on the die face? Or are these dies so defaced
that it would be impossible?

It's possible that this could happen, and it would be a nice payday for

the
lucky winner of the "coin and die" lottery.

Regards,
Tom

Do these defaced dies come with an Unc. or a Proof coin in the box??.. I'm
too lazy to look. If they came with an Unc., then there's the possibility
one could get one of the leaf varieties in the box with the die, but does
that necessarily mean that was the die that made that coin??.. Do you get a
COA that says "This coin was made with this die"??.. Anyway, as others have
said, the dies' faces are totally ground smooth, there's no design left on
them all.. you get a strangely shaped metal rod with a number punched into
the side of it..

Harv

Old February 1st 05, 08:26 PM
Alan Williams

Harv wrote:

[...]

And here's an opportunity to note an oddity I observed last month...the
Texas Coin and Die sets are done plumb sold out.

Alan
'Maryland is available'
Old February 2nd 05, 12:20 AM
CaptainDave

Harv wrote:
"WinWinscenario" wrote in message

8 Snip

Do these defaced dies come with an Unc. or a Proof coin in the
box??
Harv

Theoretically the set comes with a coin struck from "that die". So it
may be possible, however if the error was a die crack or cud type thing the
coin could have been struck earlier than the damage, as the mint claims the
coin included is an "early strike" from that die.

-Dave

Old February 2nd 05, 04:13 AM
Harv

"CaptainDave" wrote in
message ...
Harv wrote:
"WinWinscenario" wrote in message

8 Snip

Do these defaced dies come with an Unc. or a Proof coin in the
box??
Harv

Theoretically the set comes with a coin struck from "that die". So it
may be possible, however if the error was a die crack or cud type thing

the
coin could have been struck earlier than the damage, as the mint claims

the
coin included is an "early strike" from that die.

-Dave

That is one very artistic cow on that quarter, if she can chew cud and spit
it at an ear of corn and have it land looking exactly like a leaf..

..

Harv