BEP produced bills for other countries

Old November 6th 03, 02:28 PM
Rickey Stein

Default BEP produced bills for other countries

Is there a list of paper money that has been produced by the US BEP over the
years for other countries? I have Cuban and Philippino bills but haven't seen
others.

Rickey Stein
Old November 6th 03, 03:05 PM
Scottishmoney

"Rickey Stein" wrote in message
Is there a list of paper money that has been produced by the US BEP over

the
years for other countries? I have Cuban and Philippino bills but haven't

seen
others.

Rickey Stein

France, Germany, Italy, Japan had military issued currency, much of which
was produced by the BEP. The BEP has not printed notes for other nations in
some time, frankly look at what De La Rue & Co prints and compare it to the
BEP notes.

Dave

---

Old November 8th 03, 02:36 AM
Michael E. Marotta

"Scottishmoney" wrote
The BEP has not printed notes for other nations in
some time...

Cuba and the Philippines were cited. Have there been _ANY_ other
cases, in the distant or not-so-distant past? I apologize for having
to ask. It is the kind of question I usually like to answer for
myself, but I was surprised, frankly, that the US BEP made notes for
Cuba. The Philippines, I could understand. Did the BEP ever make
banknotes for any of the nations within the US sphere?

... frankly look at what De La Rue & Co prints and compare it to the
BEP notes.

(1) Competition impels toward excellence.

(2) I hasten to point out in defense that most other nations need to
have colorful, attractive money expressly because it is worthless.
The USA does not _need_ to tart up its money because it is the most
desired currency in the world, backed by our productive ability to pay
taxes, now and for the next two generations, if not longer.
Old November 8th 03, 03:04 AM
whohah

We first made paper money for the Philippines in 1902, IIRC (I am open to
correction from anyone with a handy copy of Neil Shafer's excellent book on
P I paper money).

We made Cuban Silver Certificates (Certificado de Plata) from 1934 to 1949
in denominations of 1, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 pesos. ABNCo made their 500
and 1000 peso Silver Certs.

Cuba was, for all intents and purposes, our colony from 1902 'till 1934
[under military occupation and governance for a lot of that time] when it
achieved 'full' independence. We had been making their coins since 1915 or
16, and continued to do so 'till the '50's.

Cuban Silver Certs are quite pretty and colorful... They show that the BEP
can make a pretty currency when they put their minds to it. In design, they
were very similar stylistically to our money... (National hero in oval in
middle of face, same fonts as our money for serial numbers, serials and seal
the same color, two official signatures [with one being the President of the
Republic], bold statement of issueing authority across the top of the note,
etc.) All of which stands to reason since our engravers were most familiar
with our stuff.

I believe the most interesting deviation in style its the three-part reverse
design of the 100 peso note. One big difference from our money that the
Cuban stuff shares with the Philippine money is the use of different colors
on the backs of the notes for the different denominations.

'Nuff of my ramblings...

Jay in Garrison, TX
reply, if ya' wanna to

"snipped to preserve bandwidth

Old November 8th 03, 07:30 AM
A.E. Gelat

You say foreign money is worthless? The British pound is worth $1.65, the
Kuwaiti Dinar is worth $3.40, and there are many others where the unit is
worth more than a dollar. All of these are colorful, and definitely not
because you think they need to be so because they are worthless. You must
have never left the USA, and perhaps not even your home town! You cannot
spend them in
the USA, but that does not make them worthless. A big bank will exchange
them for you, after taking a 3 to 5% commission. Worthless indeed!

Tony

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote in message
om...
"Scottishmoney" wrote

Old November 9th 03, 10:24 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Michael E. Marotta wrote:

I hasten to point out in defense that most other nations need to
have colorful, attractive money expressly because it is worthless.
The USA does not _need_ to tart up its money because it is the most
desired currency in the world, backed by our productive ability to pay
taxes, now and for the next two generations, if not longer.

On the other hand, I suppose that people in many other countries in this
world would strongly dislike paper money with one size only for all
denominations and hardly any use of color. The fact that most other
countries have notes with color as an important design element does, by
itself, not have much to do with how stable or worthless their
currencies are.

Christian

Halves and $2 Bills Malanutt 4 Life Coins 40 September 11th 04 06:02 PM
Can't get $2s Malanutt 4 Life Coins 10 January 14th 04 09:53 PM
$2 Bills (What went wrong?) Malanutt 4 Life Coins 27 November 3rd 03 07:24 PM
New $5 and $10 Bills? Malanutt 4 Life Coins 5 October 16th 03 01:46 AM
EURO BILL TRACKER REACHES 1 000 000 REGISTERED BILLS Geerts Coins 0 August 12th 03 02:00 PM