The joys of numismatic research

Old March 21st 04, 01:41 PM
Edward McGrath

Old March 21st 04, 01:42 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Ankaaz wrote:

Well, at least we're talking AUSTRALIA here and not AUSTRIA. I've been
accused...uh...sorry...I mean...mistaken for an Australian more than a few
times!

Sure. Don't they both have funny accents?

gd&rvf
Christian
Old March 21st 04, 02:00 PM
Bruce Remick

"Ian" wrote in message
Phil DeMayo wrote:

Ian wrote:

One of my best friends was a real jag freak (sadly now deceased). He had
five of them...usually in various states of repair. I knew he had
flipped when he announced to me that he had managed to buy an e-type
that had been used in one of the Alasdair MacLean films (the one where
the car is seen heading off the edge of a cliff into the sea...from a
fair height). At the back of his house he proudly presented this mass of
tangled metal that even a scrap merchant would have had second thoughts
accepting. He had thoughts of restoring it........ :-(

His other cars however were a MkIII, 2 x MkIV, and a Mk10. The MK III
and the Mk10 actually worked, and boy did they say `effortless' in
relation to going from A - B. These cars not only `rocked' but there was
a characteristic jaguar `roll' from side to side when you got above

90MPH.

I decided to take my "E" off the road in 1979 due to several small

nagging
problems that made it impractical for everyday use....at least until I

could
get around to fixing them. As a result I started looking around for a

reliable
used car.

Of course, I no sooner turned to the auto section of the local newspaper

when
my eyes were drawn to a particular item in the "imported car" section:

"1967 Jaguar XKE Roadster, excellent condition, $3000 or best offer"

Now you have to understand, I saw my first XKE when I was 13 years old

in 1961.
I was on my way to the neighborhood deli with a friend when one glided

by. My
jaw dropped and I turned to my friend and said, "I'm going to own one of

those
some day".

Now I could never make up my mind which I liked best....the roadster or

the
fixed head coupe, so I decided it would be best to own one of

each.....logical
conclusion.

Jump back to 1979 and the newspaper ad. "Wow, a '67 roadster, I have a

'67
coupe....one of each. I could trade parts and surely keep at least one

on the
road at all times".

Sadly, I soon came to my senses and ended up buying an early 70s piece

of crap
6 cyclinder Camaro that looked like a bumblebee (yellow with black

racing
stripes and a black vinyl roof). God, I hated that car.

As demonstrated by your story, reality is indeed a harsh mistress!

That's very brave of you to owning up to possessing a yellow and black
Camaro. I don't think I would have the guts to do that..... ;-)

Ian

Okay, I will admit to that disease, if no one else will. I drive a black
345hp 2002 Camaro SS convertible (the last year of the marque-- for now). I
traded in my black 1990 Camaro IROC-Z convertible for it. I love(d) both
cars. Although I also would enjoy a sexy Jag or equivalent ride, I can take
comfort in being able to buy normal replacement stuff for the Camaro at Trac
Auto, and not have to mortgage the house for a brake job. Tires can be a
bit dear at $285 apiece, but Tire Rack has them at $175.

Bruce
'someone had to stand up for America'

Old March 21st 04, 02:41 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Phil DeMayo wrote:

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

That's exactly what I just said.

Then why did you phrase it in the form of a question? Playing Jeopardy?

You missed the entire point.

No, 'tis you who appear clueless. You obviously missed the little inside joke
between Anka and Ian the Scotsman.

what I said initially and what Anka responded to with an "Are you
SERIOUS?" I still don't know what point Anka was trying to make
or even if she knows.

My guess is that she was totally shocked that someone who earned degrees from
two different universities was unaware until now that King James I was
responsible for the King James Bible.

Obviously, Phil, this must be one of those famous gray areas, with no
clear answer, similar to:

Who printed the Gutenberg Bible?

Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?

and

What happened to Flo and Eddie?

Alan
'turtles and tautologies'
Old March 21st 04, 03:36 PM
Ian

Ankaaz wrote:

Jeff wrote:

"Don't forget to add that really confusing bit about England and Australia
being different countries...."

Well, at least we're talking AUSTRALIA here and not AUSTRIA. I've been
accused...uh...sorry...I mean...mistaken for an Australian more than a few
times!

Anka ---- not that there's anything wrong with that ;-)

....Know what you mean Sheila.

Old March 21st 04, 04:01 PM
Ian

Bruce Remick wrote:

"Ian" wrote in message

Phil DeMayo wrote:

Ian wrote:

[...]

Nothing wrong with the Camaro. it goes from A-B. I was commenting more
on Phil's unfortunate colour combination. You must admit, it does kind
of make you want to hurl (or wear shades) ;-)

PS `America' in the form of the Ford company owns Jaguar.

Ian
Old March 21st 04, 05:10 PM
Bruce Remick

"Ian" wrote in message

Nothing wrong with the Camaro. it goes from A-B. I was commenting more
on Phil's unfortunate colour combination. You must admit, it does kind
of make you want to hurl (or wear shades) ;-)

PS `America' in the form of the Ford company owns Jaguar.

Ian

Yeah, but Jaguar still seems to have retained it's identity as a quality
vehicle, regardless of who pays the salaries.

Bruce

Old March 21st 04, 05:24 PM
Ankaaz

Alan wrote:

"What happened to Flo and Eddie?"

Hey! Flo and Eddie were in Cleveland last night at the Moondog Coronation
Ball! I missed it. :-(

Anka ---- missed the Turtles, Felix Cavalieri & the Rascals, Gary Lewis &
the Playboys, and JOHNNY RIVERS!

Old March 21st 04, 06:05 PM

Ian wrote:

Bruce Remick wrote:

"Ian" wrote in message

Phil DeMayo wrote:

SNIP

[...]

Doesn't that make your a$$ want a dip of snuff?

Ian

AT one time had a early 70s Camaro that was yellow and blue each
and every time it rained, more yellow showed up....
Wheeler... (wore sunglasses untill the car found a new home)