(RCSD) Zimbabwe Inflation Update

Old July 23rd 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default (RCSD) Zimbabwe Inflation Update

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:36:49 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

Ralphael1 found these unused words:

On Jul 21, 2:28*pm, "Michael G. Koerner" wrote:
Michael G. Koerner wrote:
Victor Manta wrote:
"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
snip for brevity
Current parallel exchange rate is about $28 Billion per USD.
Current parallel exchange rate is about $400 Billion per USD.
Postal rates on the Zimpost website havent been updated,
so sending a letter overseas at under $2 billion would be
a bargain (half a cent)

http://www.zimpost.co.zw/postalrates.html

I suppose that the official exchange rate is about $28 Billion per
USD, and the parallel (black market) exchange rate is about $400
Billion per USD.

Therefore for a letter upto 10g sent to Europe, that should be franked
with a Z$ 1.4bn stamp, one has to pay in Zimbabwe something between
0.3 and 5 US cents.

Could be an idea for the mass mailers, even if *the envelope & the
letter paper will probably cost them more then the franking *;-)

Well, as of this typing (13h27 CDT on Monday, 2008-07-21), it is now
Z$5.027^11 = USA$1.00.

(oops, I forgot the source link)

http://www.zimbabweanequities.com

Does anyone care to make SWAG when the country will collapse?

When ???

Do you mean that this is not the collapsing process in action?

Zim has been collapsing for a while now.
Old July 26th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Michael G. Koerner wrote:
Victor Manta wrote:
"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
[...]

Zim has been collapsing for a while now.- Hide quoted text -

Yep, I know this. Care to guess how much longer it will last?
It is odd that counties like this never seem to have any assains.
The Zim people may be hoping the USA will come in and eliminate the
problem or take over and give them all kinds of staples and rebuild
the country.

Ralph
Old July 26th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default From heavy politics to easy stamps. Was: (RCSD) Zimbabwe Inflation Update

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
On Jul 22, 9:42 pm, wrote:

The Zim people may be hoping the USA will come in and eliminate the
problem or take over and give them all kinds of staples and rebuild
the country.

They can hope but the USA cannot solve all the problems of the world, for
example by coming, eliminating, taking over, rebuilding, etc. If they come,
they have to stay, at least for a time. If they stay, they are considered
imperialistic, arrogant, thieves of resources, and so on. If they go, or if
they don't come, they are considered selfish and insensitive to the
suffering of the poor / innocent / exploited / killed.

Try figure the right way, and till then let's solve some problems related to
our stamps. :-)

Victor

Old July 26th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Michael G. Koerner wrote:
Victor Manta wrote:
"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
[...]

Ralph - what is assains? Not to be rude, but I'm at a loss here.

To get back to the point - the U.S. would be in a lose - lose
situation. The U.S. had naught or little to do with early
exploitation or current regime thugs.

Africa has been the haven for Euro colonials and there exploits.

That said, don't you think that some of the parent countries, such as
the U.K. and South Africa, may want to step up to the plate? Many a
Rhodesian fought in the G.E.A. during WWI. Mugabe doesn't want
outside interference, or at least that's what was said a short while
ago.

If the U.S. enters Zim, it's "HOLY $HIT, THE U.S. IS AT IT AGAIN !!!"
"THOSE IMPERIALISTIC BA$TARD$ !!!"

Next, they'll be telling us to get out of America. :^)

If the U.S. enables or supports Zim, then the foreign powers will
consider it an act of imperialism. Other than oil concerns, I wonder
about Somalia. We were there in Liberia to assist recently. We
helped out in North Africa, during WWII.

Why weren't we there for the Rwanda, Congo, Zim, east Africa, blah,
blah, blah... because the U.S. has no "direct" interest in Africa.
Indirectly, or through said concessionaires that are under the U.S.
"umbrella" will be indirectly accessing what is needed.

The good old boy system put in place before our country even got off
the ground is still working in Africa, much to many people's chagrin.

It's sad that the colonial power that built up the best schools in
Africa before WWI was Germany.

Africa produces a LOT of stamps. It wasn't always so, but this is one
way that the "big vegetables" in some of the countries make their
illegal living. Corruption abounds.

Many countries in Africa have been bailed out, time and again, by
world banking. This time, instead of cutting off his nose to spite
his face, Mugabe has cut off another unmentionable part with his farm
reorganization. I do believe that the indigenous Zim should have
rights to his / her land, but I also believe that it was done in a bad
way.

We can always do the ostrich maneuver and state "who are we to deprive
them of making their own misery?" ... That's just not right.

Old July 26th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 23:43:55 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
On Jul 22, 9:42 pm, wrote:

The Zim people may be hoping the USA will come in and eliminate the
problem or take over and give them all kinds of staples and rebuild
the country.

They can hope but the USA cannot solve all the problems of the world, for
example by coming, eliminating, taking over, rebuilding, etc. If they come,
they have to stay, at least for a time. If they stay, they are considered
imperialistic, arrogant, thieves of resources, and so on. If they go, or if
they don't come, they are considered selfish and insensitive to the
suffering of the poor / innocent / exploited / killed.

Try figure the right way, and till then let's solve some problems related to
our stamps. :-)

For once, Victor, I agree on the lose - lose situation.

On the other hand, one may argue the merits of "political" discussion
in a newsgroup like this. If it weren't for political discussion, we
would not have many of the occupation or overprinted stamps that we
have today. Those stamps probably comprise about 25% or so it seems.

Whether it be economic fluxes, political intrigue or downright
thievery, these stamps came into being and were used on mail.

I call your attention to Dominican Republic map stamps, which truly
****ed off Haiti. Or was it the other way around? Talk about
political intrigue! Pictures can be found he

http://sio.midco.net/dansmapstamps/islands13b.htm#3

Old July 27th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

"Ralphael1" wrote in message

On Jul 22, 9:42 pm, wrote:

The Zim people may be hoping the USA will come in and eliminate the
problem or take over and give them all kinds of staples and rebuild the
country.

They can hope but the USA cannot solve all the problems of the world,
for example by coming, eliminating, taking over, rebuilding, etc. If
they come, they have to stay, at least for a time. If they stay, they
are considered imperialistic, arrogant, thieves of resources, and so on.
If they go, or if they don't come, they are considered selfish and
insensitive to the suffering of the poor / innocent / exploited /
killed.

Mr. Manta, you wouldn't by any chance be the Victor Manta who excoriated
me at length for discussing US policies on the newsgroup, could you?
Evil doppelganger? In any case, a spoonful of your own advice might be a
good prescription.

--
Joshua H. McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old July 27th 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

On Jul 22, 9:42 pm, wrote:

[...]

Here is the missing above, conclusive part of my last posting:

"Try figure the right way, and till then let's solve some problems related
our stamps. :-) ".

The old subject line: " From heavy politics to easy stamps. etc" hints to
this conclusion too.

Carpe Diem!

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization:
http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old July 27th 08, 09:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

wrote:

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
On Jul 22, 9:42 pm, wrote:

[...]

I would be interested to learn more about these stamps and about their
background. As I can understand, the US Americans were somehow implicated
and they did something wrong. Because it's history (and not the obsession of
some, I mean President Bush , I see no reasons why we could/should not
discuss about these Dominican stamps.

Could you (or any other participant) open a new thread about them and their
history? TIA.

Old July 27th 08, 10:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:20:14 +0200, Victor Manta wrote:

Mr. Manta, you wouldn't by any chance be the Victor Manta who
excoriated me at length for discussing US policies on the newsgroup,
could you? Evil doppelganger? In any case, a spoonful of your own
advice might be a good prescription.

Here is the missing above, conclusive part of my last posting:

"Try figure the right way, and till then let's solve some problems
related to
our stamps. :-) ".

The old subject line: " From heavy politics to easy stamps. etc"
hints to this conclusion too.

OK, thanks! Next time I go off on a political side discusion, I'll be
sure to mention stamp collecting in the last sentence, then all will be
OK. :^)

Old July 27th 08, 10:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:25:01 -0700, Blair (TC) wrote:

Current parallel exchange rate is about $28 Billion per USD. Current
parallel exchange rate is about $400 Billion per USD. Postal rates on
the Zimpost website havent been updated, so sending a letter overseas at
under $2 billion would be a bargain (half a cent)

I mailed a letter to the Harare Postmaster, along with a SAE, an IRC, and
(illegally) a $1 bill. I asked for the return postage to be paid with a
meter strip, it possible. So I'll either end up with a meter strip that
spans the whole envelope, or a Forever definitive franking it, or (most
likely?) nothing at all. Can't imagine that handling foreign philatelic
requests is exactly at the top of his list of priorities.