The Toning Thing...

Old January 31st 05, 01:41 PM
Larry Louks

Default The Toning Thing...

Hi Friends,

This morning it was my happy experience to find a small box with a few
coins in it, that I had forgotten that I even had. One of the coins in
it is a "stand out" in my estimation. There may be lots of them out
there somewhere, but I have seen very few uncirculated Walkers that have
attractive toning on them. This one, in a 2x2, is a BU 1943-S and it is
developing some russet toning on it that I find very attractive. Even
though I may be depriving someone from seeing it in blast white
condition a century or two from now, I intend to watch this one, see
what it does in coming months and years, and enjoy it each time that I
peek at it. I recognize that your mileage might vary were the coin in
your possession.

Larry
'gimme some color now and then and make me happy'
Old February 1st 05, 06:10 PM
WinWinscenario

This one, in a 2x2, is a BU 1943-S and it is
developing some russet toning on it that I find very attractive

Hey, Larry, it's OK for your Walkers to change their outfit, so to speak, as
long as they don't have a "wardrobe malfunction!"

Regards,
Tom
Old February 1st 05, 06:18 PM
Larry Louks

WinWinscenario scrawled in jest:
Hey, Larry, it's OK for your Walkers to change their outfit, so to speak, as
long as they don't have a "wardrobe malfunction!"

Ha! Glad to get your OK on this, Tom! BTW, I only know of one coin
design where Miss Liberty started off the series dressed in the "Janet
Jackson half-time motif", but she was quickly covered up. (From what I
hear, because of public outcry, but who really knows?)

Larry
'some interesting stuff, numismatics!'

Old February 2nd 05, 01:02 AM
Bob Hairgrove

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 12:18:53 -0600, Larry Louks
wrote:

WinWinscenario scrawled in jest:
Hey, Larry, it's OK for your Walkers to change their outfit, so to speak, as
long as they don't have a "wardrobe malfunction!"

Ha! Glad to get your OK on this, Tom! BTW, I only know of one coin
design where Miss Liberty started off the series dressed in the "Janet
Jackson half-time motif", but she was quickly covered up. (From what I
hear, because of public outcry, but who really knows?)

Perhaps an (un)draped bust series??
Care to fill us in as to the exact Liberty series this is?

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old February 2nd 05, 02:28 AM
Larry Louks

Bob Hairgrove wrote:
Perhaps an (un)draped bust series??
Care to fill us in as to the exact Liberty series this is?

Er, um, I was thinking of the 1916 SLQ, Bob.

Larry
'but a "bust" series would be fine'
Old February 2nd 05, 11:28 AM
Bob Hairgrove

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:28:13 -0600, Larry Louks
wrote:

Bob Hairgrove wrote:
Perhaps an (un)draped bust series??
Care to fill us in as to the exact Liberty series this is?

Er, um, I was thinking of the 1916 SLQ, Bob.

Larry
'but a "bust" series would be fine'

LOL - never noticed that before, but since I am kind of a newbie and
concentrating on other types of coins, I haven't looked much at
quarters yet. 1916 SLQ would be a bit beyond my budget, anyway.

Right now I am looking for good Indian cents (EF or better), BU Morgan
dollars, BU Walking Liberty half dollars and gold coins from various
countries (the ones that I can afford, that isg). To me, it seems
that there are enough affordable examples of these on the market to
keep me busy for quite a while. Once in a while I'll also pick up a
nice commemorative half dollar if it crosses my path, and if the price
is right.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old February 2nd 05, 11:45 AM
Larry Louks

Bob Hairgrove summed it up with:
A 1916 SLQ would be a bit beyond my budget, anyway.

That is true of many a collector, Bob. That '16 is a very pricey coin
even in low grade. However, you could get the bare-breasted 1917 quarter
for a much more modest sum. (I'm speaking of the Type 1. The Type 2
coins of 1917 and the rest of the series have things covered up.)

Right now I am looking for good Indian cents (EF or better), BU Morgan
dollars, BU Walking Liberty half dollars and gold coins from various
countries (the ones that I can afford, that isg). To me, it seems
that there are enough affordable examples of these on the market to
keep me busy for quite a while. Once in a while I'll also pick up a
nice commemorative half dollar if it crosses my path, and if the price
is right.

Yep, you've got plenty to keep you busy there. BU Walkers have to be one
of the most beautiful coins ever minted! I love them and enjoy looking
frequently at the ones in my collection.

In doing some online research a while ago, I ran across something that I
really enjoy thinking about with regards to Walkers. In an insightful
article written by Paul M. Green (NUMISMATIC NEWS, February 11, 2003),
he tells how the Director of the Mint described the Walking Liberty half
when it was first introduced. The Director found it to be -- "a
full-length Liberty, the fold of the stars and stripes flying to the
breeze as a background, progressing in full stride toward the dawn of a
new day, carrying branches of laurel and oak symbolical of civil and
military glory. The hand of the figure is outstretched in bestowal of
the spirit of liberty. The reverse of the half dollar shows an eagle
perched high upon a mountain crag, his wings unfolded, fearless in
spirit and conscious of his power. Springing from a rift in the rock is
a sapling of mountain pine, symbolical of America."

Larry
'numismatics is indeed a wonderful hobby!'

Toning: real, artificial, in between? -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 0 January 11th 04 08:01 PM
FS: James Herriot "Every Living Thing" 1st Edition Hardcover Book J.R. Sinclair General 0 December 10th 03 05:04 AM
Toning: real, artificial, in between? -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 0 December 3rd 03 03:26 AM
Artificial Toning? Mat Coins 8 October 15th 03 06:46 PM
Coin returns and a question about toning Bill Krummel Coins 28 July 11th 03 02:09 AM