Where can I buy silver bars in Canada?

Old March 23rd 09, 12:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Chris[_8_]

Default Where can I buy silver bars in Canada?

Hi -

I used to be able to buy 1oz Johnson & Matthey silver bars with
certificates pretty easily in Ottawa. I have lived outside of the
country for some time and cannot recall where I used to get them.

I just want to buy small quantities for personal collection - can
anyone recommend reputable suppliers in Ottawa, Toronto or Halifax?

Also, I seem to recall the price being around (a bit higher than)
world silver price - so I would expect to pay around $15 - $20 for an
ounce now, with a proper certificate. Is this the case? In the UK I
see Spanish silver in London for about £35 GBP per ounce. Can someone
tell me with the difference in price?

Many thanks,
Chris
Old March 23rd 09, 12:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Mar 23, 8:10*am, Chris wrote:
Hi -

I used to be able to buy 1oz Johnson & Matthey silver bars with
certificates pretty easily in Ottawa. *I have lived outside of the
country for some time and cannot recall where I used to get them.

I just want to buy small quantities for personal collection - can
anyone recommend reputable suppliers in Ottawa, Toronto or Halifax?

Also, I seem to recall the price being around (a bit higher than)
world silver price - so I would expect to pay around $15 - $20 for an
ounce now, with a proper certificate. *Is this the case? *In the UK I
see Spanish silver in London for about £35 GBP per ounce. *Can someone
tell me with the difference in price?

Many thanks,
Chris

The last time I visited Citadel Coins in Halifax it had a variety of
silver.
Old March 23rd 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RsH

Also check with the Bank of Nova Scotia as they sell precious metals
too.

RsH

Old March 24th 09, 08:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Chris[_8_]

Peter - thanks, that's helpful. They seem to have ounces available at
$23 CDN each. Is this a reasonable price in today's market?

RsH - thank you - indeed we did try BNS in Halifax, but I believe they
were out of stock. Would one of their branches in Ottawa or Toronto
be better? Do other banks sell silver too?

I'm still in the dark about why Spanish silver seems to be selling for
in excess of £35 GBP per ounce (er, well for 50g I think) in London.
Is it especially good, or artificially inflated price?

Chris

Old March 24th 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

wrote:

Hi -

I used to be able to buy 1oz Johnson & Matthey silver bars with
certificates pretty easily in Ottawa. *I have lived outside of the
country for some time and cannot recall where I used to get them.

I just want to buy small quantities for personal collection - can
anyone recommend reputable suppliers in Ottawa, Toronto or Halifax?

Also, I seem to recall the price being around (a bit higher than)
world silver price - so I would expect to pay around $15 - $20 for an
ounce now, with a proper certificate. *Is this the case? *In the UK I
see Spanish silver in London for about £35 GBP per ounce. *Can someone
tell me with the difference in price?

Many thanks,
Chris- Hide quoted text -

I found that it was possible, at least when visiting in person, to
speak with the owner. I wanted more than a single ounce. In that
case he was able to offer something quite close to spot. Silver at
23Canadian per Oz. seems high if you are buying more a few Ozs.

They seemed very friendly at my visit.
Old March 24th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Johnny Doe

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 01:40:13 -0700 (PDT), Chris
wrote:

Also, I seem to recall the price being around (a bit higher than)
world silver price - so I would expect to pay around $15 - $20 for an
ounce now, with a proper certificate. *Is this the case? *In the UK I
see Spanish silver in London for about £35 GBP per ounce. *Can someone
tell me with the difference in price?

Many thanks,
Chris

What exactly do you mean by "Spanish silver"? Is this some type of
commemorative coin from Spain? Checking eBay, I don't see any
references to a Spanish bullion silver piece.

Old March 24th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Chris[_8_]

wrote:

Also, I seem to recall the price being around (a bit higher than)
world silver price - so I would expect to pay around $15 - $20 for an
ounce now, with a proper certificate. *Is this the case? *In the UK I
see Spanish silver in London for about £35 GBP per ounce. *Can someone
tell me with the difference in price?

Many thanks,
Chris

What exactly do you mean by "Spanish silver"? *Is this some type of
commemorative coin from Spain? *Checking eBay, I don't see any
references to a Spanish bullion silver piece.

Sorry - that was pretty vague. I've been looking at a couple of sites
including:

http://www.goldline.co.uk/investmentBarsPage.page (100g silver appears
to be £45 GBP)

I'm having some difficulties finding the exact link I was looking at,
but it was from a London distributor of 50g bars from SEMPSA Joyeria
Plateria SA, apparently a Spanish company. The price was pretty steep
as I recall it - certainly around £50 GBP per bar. It didn't sound
like I would be getting good value (but then again I don't know that
much about the quality of their product) so I didn't follow up.

Chris
Old May 28th 12, 04:22 AM
freddy_p freddy_p is offline
Junior Member

If you live in Ottawa, you may want to consider visiting http://www.zurametals.com for silver and gold. They seemed to have had the best prices for silver and gold maples. They also had a couple different types of silver bars for sale too.

Their silver maples were at spot + $4.00 which isn't bad.