Questions value of Robert Rodriguez autographed comic book

Old November 25th 03, 04:12 AM
zmike6

Default Questions value of Robert Rodriguez autographed comic book

Before writer/director/producer etc. Robert Rodriguez made it big in
the film industry with El Mariachi, Dusk 'till Dawn, etc, he wrote a
comic strip ("Los Hooligans") for the University of Texas student
newspaper, the Daily Texan. At the time I was a student who liked the
strip enough to buy a compilation volume of it from a local comics
store, which was already autographed (twice, for some reason), on the
front cover. The item is now about 11 years old and is in very good
but not mint condition (back cover has some kind of stain on it).
This leads me to a few questions about general valuation of these
types of things.

Is the value of an autograph dependent on the degree of fame of the
signer at the time the item was signed? (I.e. is an item like this
worth more/less/same as, say a recent signed publicity photo?)

Anybody have any idea what this item might be worth, or what other
autographed Robert Rodriguez items might be worth? Thanks for any
input.
Old November 25th 03, 04:29 AM
dahoov2

I think you will get more value if posted to a comic group. Most
collectors here don't collect comic artists/authors I bet. I do, but
only the Star Wars related ones. It's my view that signed comics
don't go for much... most of the value seems to be in the comic itself
(rarity or something probably) than in the autograph. To maximize
value, I'd say that you should find a comic collector who diesn't mind
autographs. I have heard from a couple that signatures can actually
decrease the value or cards or comics.... my son who was an avid card
collector said the value in a card is definatley playability and the
signature makes that worse.

I can't begin to tell you how many comics you'll see signed for 99
cents on Ebay and unlike regualar autographs, this area is less likely
forged.

Old November 25th 03, 04:32 AM
dahoov2

PS as far as comics goes, I hear that if they are not in near mint or
better condition, they are pretty much worthless. Any comic
collectors here can shed some light on this subject?